Buying Used 2006 Gs300

First post. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm planning on buying a used 2006 GS300 with 50k miles or less. I've heard the AWDs had some problems so I think I'll be avoiding that. Anything else to look for or be wary of?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on buying a used 2006 GS300 with 50k miles or less. I've heard the AWDs had some problems so I think I'll be avoiding that. Anything else to look for or be wary of?

Thanks!

take your time and find one with Navi, i recently got a 06 GS300 without Navi and really regret it cause trying to put in an in dash one is almost impossible.. :-( with the bad economy, you can really find a good deal if you are patient. DO NOT RUSH!!!

Thanks!

1st of all, it will be pretty hard for you to find a AWD in Cali and you dont need a AWD in that weather anyways. There is no known issues with the AWD system. The major issues I would look for is dash and door rattles and creaking, squeaky brakes, start problems and issue being rough. All minor issues but none the less still an issue for some.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

1st of all, it will be pretty hard for you to find a AWD in Cali and you dont need a AWD in that weather anyways. There is no known issues with the AWD system. The major issues I would look for is dash and door rattles and creaking, squeaky brakes, start problems and issue being rough. All minor issues but none the less still an issue for some.

If you could find one still under warranty, would be great. Make sure the title is clean and really get familiar with the car. carfax helps

That's interesting that the referenced advertisement shows a black, or blue sapphire pearl, car with tan iinterior... but the description says black on black.... hum..bait and switch?

Naw, just gotta see the car in person. They're just stupid sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guys , tell me what you think of this deal.

I purchased a 2006 GS 300 last month.(Feb. '09.) It was purchased from a local Cadillac dealer here in Sarasota, FL. One owner 46K mi.,all services performed and documented. No Nav.,Matador red mica, perfect cond. ,new brakes and tires. I paid $21,900. This is my third GS,( '93 and '98 previously.) I think this was the deal of the century! (OK, I'm bragging a little). What say you?

Deal of the century? No.

Average deal? Yes.

Oh gee, there must be at terrible flaw in my research methodology. Perhaps you can guide me back to the right path so I won't make the same mistake next time.

Let's see, I researched for 3 months every conceivable source (i.e. the web, local dealers, private party sales.) and could not find this vehicle anywhere near my ultimate purchase price. Please direct me to the sources that render my deal as "average".

As to the "Deal of the century" quote,that was obvious hyperbole and was meant in jest.

Zep no need to get upset :) A average deal is not a bad deal, I have seen worst. KBB list your car at $19500 thru private party sales at fair condition. Most 2006 GS have been going for low $20 K, which is a average deal. A great deal for a 06 GS would be $20K or below with more options. Enjoy your GS and dont sweat it.

Thanks!

take your time and find one with Navi, i recently got a 06 GS300 without Navi and really regret it cause trying to put in an in dash one is almost impossible.. :-( with the bad economy, you can really find a good deal if you are patient. DO NOT RUSH!!!

I know that the OP asked about a 2006 GS, but I'd say take a look at a 2007 GS. They navigation system changed between the two years and the 2007 is much nicer. The functionality is about the same, but the screen resolution is greatly improved.

I have an '06 with navi and wish I'd seen the 07s before I bought mine.

Oh yes, I don't believe you can do the software override (i.e. the touch sequence that lets you operate the navi while moving) with the 07 version. I've been away from the forum from a while so I'm not sure if there's a hybrid disc that gets around this for the 07s...

KBB list your car at $19500 thru private party sales at fair condition. Most 2006 GS have been going for low $20 K, which is a average deal. A great deal for a 06 GS would be $20K or below with more options. Enjoy your GS and dont sweat it.

Ouch! I haven't been following pricing for the GS for several months now, but low $20K stings. I have a 2006 GS (which I bought used in June 2006 for about $39,000 - AWD with navi, no ML). In hindsight I certainly feel like I overpaid, but even then, I've lost almost 50% in less than 2 years. Aren't these cars supposed to be good/reasonable in terms of depreciation?!

I know that the OP asked about a 2006 GS, but I'd say take a look at a 2007 GS. They navigation system changed between the two years and the 2007 is much nicer. The functionality is about the same, but the screen resolution is greatly improved.

Dont forget about the horsepower gain from the 06 to 07, its like two totally different cars.

Deal of the century? No.

Average deal? Yes.

Oh gee, there must be at terrible flaw in my research methodology. Perhaps you can guide me back to the right path so I won't make the same mistake next time.

Let's see, I researched for 3 months every conceivable source (i.e. the web, local dealers, private party sales.) and could not find this vehicle anywhere near my ultimate purchase price. Please direct me to the sources that render my deal as "average".

As to the "Deal of the century" quote,that was obvious hyperbole and was meant in jest.

Don't sweat it, these forums are famous for EVERYONE saying you got ripped off, and they paid $19k for an '08 GS 460 with 9k miles loaded blah blah.

No one ever beats a 'forum' deal. : :rolleyes:

I got ripped off by a long shot, having paid $35,000 a year ago for my '06 gs 300 awd with 20k mint loaded.

And yes, I know your frustration, I did a ton of research looked for about a year, finally found the used one I wanted in the color/equipment/mileage etc. and I could not find that car for under $40k until i found mine a giant lease return center. Auto Lenders in Toms' River NJ. that car was over $50k in the showroom in 2006. I thought $15k off two years later was a good deal at the time.

Yet I came in here and apparently everyone else has a secret link to Lexus's for half price. It IS Annoying.

KBB list your car at $19500 thru private party sales at fair condition. Most 2006 GS have been going for low $20 K, which is a average deal. A great deal for a 06 GS would be $20K or below with more options. Enjoy your GS and dont sweat it.

Ouch! I haven't been following pricing for the GS for several months now, but low $20K stings. I have a 2006 GS (which I bought used in June 2006 for about $39,000 - AWD with navi, no ML). In hindsight I certainly feel like I overpaid, but even then, I've lost almost 50% in less than 2 years. Aren't these cars supposed to be good/reasonable in terms of depreciation?!

yeah i bought that same car but WITH ML and everything else (i didn't know they made any with navi but no ML)

but I got mine 2 years old, in 2008, for $35,000 (see above post)

Deal of the century? No.

Average deal? Yes.

Don't sweat it, these forums are famous for EVERYONE saying you got ripped off, and they paid $19k for an '08 GS 460 with 9k miles loaded blah blah.

I got ripped off by a long shot, having paid $35,000 a year ago for my '06 gs 300 awd with 20k mint loaded.

And yes, I know your frustration, I did a ton of research looked for about a year, finally found the used one I wanted in the color/equipment/mileage etc. and I could not find that car for under $40k until i found mine a giant lease return center. Auto Lenders in Toms' River NJ. that car was over $50k in the showroom in 2006. I thought $15k off two years later was a good deal at the time.

Yet I came in here and apparently everyone else has a secret link to Lexus's for half price. It IS Annoying.

Hey, I know what you're saying. I could not find my car for under $ 28K after 3 mos. of scouring every source known to man.(And woman). So when I saw this deal on Auto

Trader. com I

ran, did not walk to that Caddie dealer. There's KBB and then there's the real world. By the way are you from Jersey shore? I used to live in Pt. Pleasant Beach and know Toms

River well.

Was looking at Edmunds to get an idea of what they think my GS is worth (2006, AWD, 42K miles, Navi, NO ML, NO parking sensors, just about everything else). In clean condition the private party value was about $28K. But then I hear people on here picking them up for about $21K. Now I certainly don't consider Edmunds to be the pricing bible, but to be off by 25% seems excessive.

So either their pricing is way off and these cars just took a nose dive in value (which the sales guy says will never happen when selling you the car - "amongst the best resale" they always say), or as gs300awd said the members here have a secret source for half-price Lexuses...

Was looking at Edmunds to get an idea of what they think my GS is worth (2006, AWD, 42K miles, Navi, NO ML, NO parking sensors, just about everything else). In clean condition the private party value was about $28K. But then I hear people on here picking them up for about $21K. Now I certainly don't consider Edmunds to be the pricing bible, but to be off by 25% seems excessive.

So either their pricing is way off and these cars just took a nose dive in value (which the sales guy says will never happen when selling you the car - "amongst the best resale" they always say), or as gs300awd said the members here have a secret source for half-price Lexuses...

i think this model depreciates drastically, because I checked kbb( kelleys blue book) and my car is worth like 20,000 with 37k( no navi, has parking sensors)

i think this model depreciates drastically, because I checked kbb( kelleys blue book) and my car is worth like 20,000 with 37k( no navi, has parking sensors)

No, the point is that the price I got is an anomaly, I said that I could not find one under $28K after 3 months of research. It doesn't mean sudden deep depreciation or "secret source for 1/2 price"

• 3 weeks later...
Deal of the century? No.

Average deal? Yes.

I am a new (pre-owned) PROUD owner of a 06' GS 430 (fully loaded). It had 77k, bought for 24k. I am not even going to ask if I got a deal on here cause after reading some comments I could easily feel like I got ripped off, but my reality is, I could not even find a 06' GS 300 for 25k (all going for 26k and up), let alone a GS 430!

So when I did come across one, I JUMPED at the chance to get it. GS 430 fully loaded w/ 77k miles for 24k. It was a deal to me, I know others will sigh, but I feel like a got a really good deal. Reason I feel it was cheap was because of mileage, but we all know Lexus breaks in at 150k miles or more. I was not sweating the miles one bit! Just glad I had my Lexus...finally!!!!.... AND A GS 430 AT THAT!!!!

Only problems it came with was a burnt out sterring wheel motor (warranty), I can hear air through driver door (slightly) and squeaky brakes (at times)... Does not faze me one bit. If you have some advice for the minor problems, Please help by commenting.

Deal of the century? No.

Average deal? Yes.

I am a new (pre-owned) PROUD owner of a 06' GS 430 (fully loaded). It had 77k, bought for 24k. I am not even going to ask if I got a deal on here cause after reading some comments I could easily feel like I got ripped off, but my reality is, I could not even find a 06' GS 300 for 25k (all going for 26k and up), let alone a GS 430!

So when I did come across one, I JUMPED at the chance to get it. GS 430 fully loaded w/ 77k miles for 24k. It was a deal to me, I know others will sigh, but I feel like a got a really good deal. Reason I feel it was cheap was because of mileage, but we all know Lexus breaks in at 150k miles or more. I was not sweating the miles one bit! Just glad I had my Lexus...finally!!!!.... AND A GS 430 AT THAT!!!!

Only problems it came with was a burnt out sterring wheel motor (warranty), I can hear air through driver door (slightly) and squeaky brakes (at times)... Does not faze me one bit. If you have some advice for the minor problems, Please help by commenting.

I just joined this forum, very cool!!    I had a couple comments.   Wasn't the Lexus GS 430 out of warranty, they fixed the steeriing pump??   maybe the car was hit, which is why the windy drivers door.   did you test drive the 300? I bet your car is a lot more power.    I wonder what the difference in mileage is??

i paid 30,000, it had 9,000k

I paid $30,000 + $1,250 for shipping for a certified pre-owned GS 300 with 8,500 miles with navigation and every option available (including Mark Levinson). The car is in transit and will be delivered to me on April 14, 2009. I thought it was a good deal until I saw a 2007 GS 350 about 100 miles from where I live with 11,000 miles. It was for sale by a private party but did not sell on Ebay motors - it reached $28,000 but failed to meet the reserve price. Had I seen it before I paid for the GS 300, I would have offered the guy $30,000 for that 2007 GS 350 and would have picked it up myself. It still had about a year and a half of factory warranty left and Generation 5 Navigation but no Mark Levinson. However, Generation 5 navigation cannot be overridden to be used while moving whereas the Generation 4 (on 2006 GS 300) can be overridden. The graphics is better on Generation 5, but the lack of ability to use the touch screen while moving is a huge hurdle. So, I still think the deal I got was not bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Zep no need to get upset :) A average deal is not a bad deal, I have seen worst. KBB list your car at $19500 thru private party sales at fair condition. Most 2006 GS have been going for low $20 K, which is a average deal. A great deal for a 06 GS would be $20K or below with more options. Enjoy your GS and dont sweat it.

I dunno... Im my market I have to work the KBB.com REAL HARD to get the price down to low 20's range....And that is by taking the condition low and the miles HIGH. Mine is in near Excellent condition, 30k miles, and I paid 28k.