Navigation System Problems

rms427

I have a 2004 LS430 which we purchase new. Overall we are very satisfied with the car except the navigation system has never worked well. It can't give guidance in most of the area where we live. Now we live in a rural area but our house is in a gated community with 2800 homes. The development is about 30 years old. It shows the roads on the screen but won't give directions. This area is about an hour from Sacramento towards Lake Tahoe. The road guidance we do get is awful. We were told to bring the car in and supposedly they updated the software under warranty but it still sucks. While driving in an urban area the guidance has had us make a right turn go down a few blocks, make a U turn and come back to the same road and then proceed the same way we were going. It has taken us off a freeway and run through town and then back on to the same freeway. The system is set for the quickest route. I would say the guidance gives us accurate directions about 20% of the time when we are in an urban area and just about never within 30 minutes from our home which includes two small cities. The system is so bad that I if we need navigation help we bring a hand held unit that costs about half of the upgrade DVD. I also hated the fact that the passenger couldn't input data while driving. I just found the fix to that on this forum so that does away with one problem. Do others have these problems? We just assumed the guidance system was crappy and stopped using it.

Based on what you are describing it sound like you are outside of the Detailed Coverage area. I looked at the coverage area map and there is a big hole near the Sacto /Stockton area. I have got to think that has to be the problem.

Which data is your Nav sporting? That is either Menu ---> map data or Info ---> map data. I dont remember which, sorry :(

The version I have is 04.2. It's difficult to understand that I would be out of the detailed coverage on a unit that cost $1,800. My $150 hand held covers the area. In fact I haven't found a location that the hand held doesn't cover. Overall the hand held unit is much better even though it isn't always correct. We used the hand held unit on a 6,700 mile trip and it worked in all areas. Every now and then we try the Lexus guidance but have found it to be so unreliable that we just don't bother with it.

The screwy guidance I mentioned was in Los Angeles. I have also had trouble with locations in Sacramento, and elsewhere. As I said even when I am in an area that has coverage the guidance is often incorrect.

I would probably start talking to Lexus Customer Service or your Service Advisor about this. I have not seen any of these issues on my Gen 4 system (same as you have).

If you are under warranty still, I would ask them to update your data disc as a courtesy before you insist they replace your Nav. Your disc has data from 2003/2004 and usually they update coverage areas as well as POIs and other info.

If you click the link in my sig, it will tell you how you can use an online version of the map database to see if your stuff is included now. There is also a detailed coverage map so you can see what I was talking about with the hole near Sacto. Check out the release notes on PDF while you are there.

I did not have any problems with my 4.1 Data disc going from StLouis to Utah...it was dead-on on just about everything, including picking up my wife in Denver and weekending in Boulder. Info was a little dated, but not bad for 4-5 years old. I now use a hybrid 5.1/6.1 disc (so that I can maintain the bypass feature) and again, it works well here in Utah.

I guess what I am saying, and I suspect the lack of other posts on the subject implies, is that we really do not have the same experience you are having. :( Definitely a-typical.

Most people stomp their feet about the lockout when moving, but usability and accuracy is generally seen as very good.

Hope the info helps

Also, I just went through the ordeal of upgrading my 2004 LS 430 to the newest DVD and found they removed the override that lets you adjust the navigation while moving. I downgraded, with the help of BillyShaft and am much happier now that I can override the lockout again.

I find the system is really quite accurate in the Los Angeles area and use it all the time.

Hey ScottRoy! Good seeing you back over here. Glad to hear that your navigation nightmare has been mitigated slightly. :)

I wish we could figure out the issue with rms427s unit, but it just doesn't act like anything I've seen. :(

Starting to think it is just a bad unit and needs replacing.

• 4 weeks later...
Also, I just went through the ordeal of upgrading my 2004 LS 430 to the newest DVD and found they removed the override that lets you adjust the navigation while moving. I downgraded, with the help of BillyShaft and am much happier now that I can override the lockout again.

I find the system is really quite accurate in the Los Angeles area and use it all the time.

You did not mention loosing the OVERRIDE upon upgradeing loud enough. Careful on upgrading. Here is url to searchl... http://www.lexusoverride.com/ Good to bring tththatoto he forefront.

Funny thing is, Today while in a dealer, was told that two biggestt complaints on LS series were the placement of cup holders and the GPS .. LOL