Dash Lights Sporatically Flashing

91LexusLS400

91 LS400

The battery, brake, coolant & oil lights of course come on when starting the car then go off normally. But lately I'll be driving and all 4 come on at the same time. If the cruise is engaged, it kicks it out of cruise mode but the cruise lite is still on in the dash. I don't have to be in cruise mode for the lights to come on. Sometimes the lights are constant, sometimes they flash rapidly, sometimes they flash not so rapidly. When I step on the gas they go out most of the time. If I step on the brake while they are flashing, they go to a constant...no flash. The car runs the same, isn't getting hot or anything...runs perfect. Theories?

I doubt this is a problem with the trunk wire harness. I think it is much more likely the alternator beginning to fail, probably due to a power steering leak. I and many others on this board have had the exact same symptoms before a failure.

Until you know what the problem is, do not drive the car on busy streets or though busy intersections. A failing alternator will frequently cause the car to shut off randomly and lose all power steering, brakes, etc. It could lead to an accident.

P/S may or may not be leaking to knock out your alternator. Could just be a worn out alternator if you are 125k+ miles.

The alternator was changed back in late 2005...I'll just have to have it checked. It's been about 75K miles since it was changed. Just rolled 358,000 last weekend.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem with my car. The same 5 lights. Same behaviour. Come on sometimes when driving. Go out at stoplights sometimes.

Its not the alternator as I had it checked, also its new. Problem is when I went to the mechanic the lights were out. They mostly come on when driving.

Checked the trunk hinge too. Nothing wrong there, all wires are intact.

For alternator: Trac off and check engine should come on too.

For trunk hinge: Problem should occur on braking only.

This is something entirely else. Maybe a bad ground somewhere. I cleaned the battery posts already.

5 lights? I only get 4. I do not have traction control or air ride. Thank God.

Now that you mention the ground problem, my battery cables/terminals are in need of replacing. I had to jump the car off the other day (door light switch stuck and left the lights on) and had to wiggle the connections on the battery for it to get good contact. I'll try here, then see what happens. The battery cables don't look like you can get them at autozone...what are my options?

Now that you mention the ground problem, my battery cables/terminals are in need of replacing. I had to jump the car off the other day (door light switch stuck and left the lights on) and had to wiggle the connections on the battery for it to get good contact. I'll try here, then see what happens. The battery cables don't look like you can get them at autozone...what are my options?

They shouldnt be erroded to the point of needing replacement, probably just a good cleaning.

Pick up one of these lil tools or one of its' similar cousins and give the terminals what-for. Reconnect the battery terminals and you should be good to go.

I had to jump the car off the other day (door light switch stuck and left the lights on) and had to wiggle the connections on the battery for it to get good contact.

So your problem started after this? Try removing the negative battery cable for 10-minutes (or however long it's supposed to take) to reset the ECU.

They shouldnt be erroded to the point of needing replacement, probably just a good cleaning.

Pick up one of these lil tools or one of its' similar cousins and give the terminals what-for. Reconnect the battery terminals and you should be good to go.

They're not corroded...the ability to tighten the terminals is gone. The bolt/nut is as tight as you can go, but not 100% tight around the post.

The problem didn't start after the dead battery part, but I'll be resetting the ECM when I get to the new battery cable ends.

Yes 5. Batt, Brake, Oil, Coolant, TailLight check. I've already replace and cleaned my terminals and contacts. Checked alternator voltage, trunk hinge too.

The problem is something else. Let me know if you fix yours.