New Exhaust System

NewGuy19

My driver side muffler is shot and makes a high pitch screeching noise so I was looking to do a little exhaust work on my car. I did a little research and video watching on youtube and decide that I wanted to run a new 2.5" pipe from the first resonator back through two glasspacks and on to two chrome tips. But the guy at the exhaust shop told me I would get the same result for a lot cheaper by just removing both mufflers and running a new pipe from the stock resonators. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it themselves?

Lexus' are known for their super quiet exhaust system so I'm afraid the difference won't be enough to notice. He's going to charge me $150 to do the job and I wanted to get a little input before I tell him to go ahead and do this. I was also wondering what diameter pipe is used in the stock exhaust system.

I have 2.5 in pipe from Y pipe back on my ES300, I replaced my Cat with a new high flow one, and I completely removed my resonator, and replaced my stock muffler with a high flow magnaflow with a 2" tip. It makes a great noise, but its not quiet, what are you looking for just fix what is wrong, or are you trying to give your LS a little grunt?

I figure if I'm gonna go ahead and fix it I might as well make it stand out a little bit. I don't want to wake the neighbors on my way home every night with it (I have my truck to do that), but I would like a good healthy tone from it and maybe help it exhale a little better than the stock system while I'm at it.

I guess what I'm really wondering is, is it worth the $150 to try removing the mufflers and throwing on a new section of pipe or would I be better off starting new from either the cats or the Y pipe with something like a 2.5" pipe and then throw on some new performance mufflers.

2.5" is too big.

The best setup for exhaust is 2.25" back from the STOCK Y-pipe.

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I will go talk to the guys at the muffler shop today and see what it would cost me to get rid of everything up to the Y pipe and go from there. I still think a couple of Cherry Bomb glasspacks and two Hedman chrome tips with built in resonators would sound great. And if its a little loud I can always throw on something else down the road.

Just a quick wrap up. I had my exhaust done today at the local shop. They removed everything from the first resonator on back. In its place they ran 2.25" tubing into two direct flow mufflers and finished it off with two 2.5" chrome tips. It looks and sounds amazing. You can hardly hear anything in the car under normal driving conditions but when you step on the throttle you hear a nice rich tone inside the car. I haven't heard it from outside the car yet other than at idle but the guys I live with said it sounds great. I don't have a video camera otherwise I'd post a video on youtube for everyone to watch.