Just Bought My Lexus - Should I Buy An Extended Warranty?

contacthiroshi

I just purchased my 05 rx 330. It has 54k miles. I will be the third owner, the previous owner bought it from Lexus as a certified pre-owned. He purchased the extended 7 year/100k warranty for it. I know that this covers any malfunctions outside of normal wear and tear, but I have the 60k mile major service coming up (which is around $530). Does Lexus offer an extended warranty that covers things such as Major Services and Brake Pads? And if so, would anyone recommend purchasing this warranty?

First, welcome to the LOC and congrats on your new ride!

Did you pay to transfer the extended warranty to you? The Lexus CPO warranty is pretty comprehensive and you want to transfer it if you have not done so already.

I have not heard of a warranty covering normal maintenance or normal wear and tear items. I can't even imagine a business model that would be profitable providing this sort of coverage. This would be a lose/lose situation for a company unless they charge $5000 to cover the $3000 in normal maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle.

I could be wrong, and frankly hope to read that I am.

Random thought:

I do buy lifetime brake pads from AutoZone for my Jeep, but that doesn't cover labor unless you do it yourself. The parts cost is negligible in most maintenance tasks.

Thanks so much for the reply. No, I did not pay to have the warranty transferred to me. I was under the impression that it automatically transferred from owner-to-owner. Is this something I would have to do through the Lexus dealership at which the last owner purchased the car?

I just purchased my 05 rx 330. It has 54k miles. I will be the third owner, the previous owner bought it from Lexus as a certified pre-owned. He purchased the extended 7 year/100k warranty for it. I know that this covers any malfunctions outside of normal wear and tear, but I have the 60k mile major service coming up (which is around $530). Does Lexus offer an extended warranty that covers things such as Major Services and Brake Pads? And if so, would anyone recommend purchasing this warranty?

To my knowledge, none of them offer break pads under warranty

Thanks so much for the reply. No, I did not pay to have the warranty transferred to me. I was under the impression that it automatically transferred from owner-to-owner. Is this something I would have to do through the Lexus dealership at which the last owner purchased the car?

If I recall correctly, there is a nominal fee to transfer an extended warranty. You may want to call Lexus Customer Service and see what they tell you. If they say you are covered, then you are all set! If you did not receive lil cards with your vin number on it for the warranty, I would be concerned.

To my knowledge, none of them offer break pads under warranty

The only company I have heard of who has done this was BMW. I think they had a Lease program where all maintenance was included for the entire lease. This included brake pads, rotors and everything. I knew guys who leased M3s and drove them at the track like they stole them. They would go through 3 sets of brakes and rotors per year... :D