Tilt Down In Outside Review Mirrors

One thing I am not happy with is the degree of tilt that is applied to the outside mirrors when I shift into reverse. Does anyone know if this can be changed by me or at the dealer? I love the auto tilt feature but they just don't tilt enough to really help.

Thanks,

Joshua

Those mirrors have a poor reliability. I have a 2006 GS300 and had to change the passeger's side back in 2007. These days both of them malfunction most of the time. Sometime they will tilt down and never come to level. The car is already out of warranty and even though I have extended warranty the representative told me that it must not work "at all". I managed to reproduce the artifact in front of him but then he manually pushed the mirrow and the thing started working again. What a piece of junk. Does any body actually know how to disconnect this feature ?, it can be dangerous at times because when you least expect it the thing stays down and I'll realize just when I'm about to change lanes. Shame on lexus on a 50K dollars car.

Does any body actually know how to disconnect this feature ?, it can be dangerous at times because when you least expect it the thing stays down and I'll realize just when I'm about to change lanes. Shame on lexus on a 50K dollars car.

To turn off this feature, make sure that your mirror selector for manually adjusting the mirrors is turned off. So, if the left mirror is selected in the drop down unit, press left again to turn it off. When both are off, then the mirrors will not automatically tilt down when in reverse.

This is not just a problem with the GS, the same thing happened to my 2005 RX. I had to have both mirrors replaced. My GS mirrors went bad at about 25k miles, so I replaced those mirrors. Now I use the tilt down feature only when necessary. I will put the car in reverse, open up the drop down unit to the left of the steering wheel and press one of the mirror selector buttons. Then I turn it off. I have read that it is caused because Lexus uses a plastic gearing system in the mirror that eventually wears out.

--Duckman

Those mirrors have a poor reliability. I have a 2006 GS300 and had to change the passeger's side back in 2007. These days both of them malfunction most of the time. Sometime they will tilt down and never come to level. The car is already out of warranty and even though I have extended warranty the representative told me that it must not work "at all". I managed to reproduce the artifact in front of him but then he manually pushed the mirrow and the thing started working again. What a piece of junk. Does any body actually know how to disconnect this feature ?, it can be dangerous at times because when you least expect it the thing stays down and I'll realize just when I'm about to change lanes. Shame on lexus on a 50K dollars car.

sounds like a crappy extended warranty, what company is that through?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My passenger side mirror motor on my 2006 GS went out last year and it was replaced under warranty.

I told my Service Advisor that I had read that they both would fail, and he stated that until they both failed they would only replace one at a time.

Two days ago the driver's side mirror motor failed and when I called Lexus of Austin, I was told that the price of a new motor was $850 plus labor, since my warranty was up on March 31, 2009.

After I threw a fit, I was told that since I was on my third Lexus, they would replace the mirror motor for $520 and not charge me for the labor.

I then talked with the Service Manager whom was my previous Service Advisor and I was told that Lexus of Austin would take care of the issue at no charge.

This is why I will buy a fourth Lexus.

Thanks Gary Loth & Lexus of Austin!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently Lexus has this problem on several models going back at least as far as 03. The GX even had a Tech. Serv. Bulletin issued but apparently the rest of owners are not so lucky--at least not yet. A $50K car with features the manaufacturer knows don't work--. And the local dealers apparently are required to go through a script, suggesting that driver side mirrors don't tilt as much etc., which in turn suggests that the owner doesn't actually know how the mirrors performed prior to the problem. I think the tilting mirrors are a great and useful function but it has to work.

I discovered in this process that the seat memory buttons don't operate properly when this is happening with the mirrors. Each time you push the button, the mirror moves as if it does not have memory of an actual position. I had the bright idea to set one of the buttons I had never used--button 3. The mirrors worked perfectly like when the car was new for about 1 1/2 to 2 days. Then back to the same problem. Perhaps this is a clue to Lexus on how to repair an fix the problem??? Perhaps someone could use this post to figure out the problem rather than editing the post.

I'm desperate for a fair solution and I would think Lexus would take pride in resolving--I wouldn't post this if I weren't desperate and disappointed. I was also told that the mirrors can't be worked on--only replaced--but the TSB for the other model showed how to repair--not just replace.