Reverse Shift Indicator/light Switch Problem

925benjie

Hey guys ,I'm a new member and need of some help. I own a '90 LS 400 and everytime i turn on the light switch, the reverse indicator on the dashboard lights up no matter where the gear shift is at. When i'm driving and i turn on my lights, the car will not go past 20-25 mph and feels like it's dragging. The car runs perfect as long as i do not turn on the light switch. Also, the reverse lights stop working. Could this be related? Thanks.

It's most likely broken wires at the left trunk hinge. I know it's hard to believe but this problem is what brought me to this forum 6 years ago. It is a very common problem with the 90-94 LS400. Do a search on "hinge" in the LS400 section of this forum for information on splicing in wires to fix. Select "Search" above, then select "More Search options" to take you to the advanced search page.

Oh yes... sounds like the notorious trunk hinge wiring issue. It can cause an array of problems. I do not think there is a gen 1 LS400 on the road that has not been haunted by it at sometime or another. Apparently the wiring gets twisted and frazzled, then causes many electrical systems on the car go bezerk.

I think my current LS has already been serviced, but my old 1990 LS had not been tampered with at that area and everything still worked fine to my amazement. :)

Good luck!

It's most likely broken wires at the left trunk hinge. I know it's hard to believe but this problem is what brought me to this forum 6 years ago. It is a very common problem with the 90-94 LS400. Do a search on "hinge" in the LS400 section of this forum for information on splicing in wires to fix. Select "Search" above, then select "More Search options" to take you to the advanced search page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- THANKS A Million. Worked on it today and as soon as i unwrapped the electrical tape, saw the white broken wire right away. Soldered it back and it's as good as new. If omly you live closeby, I'll buy you a dinner. Thanks again. 925benjie

Welcome to the club! :cheers: As 1990 mentions, this prob has brought many members to the LOC.

among the many threads with info on this, here's one:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html

Many thanks for the info. I checked out the wiring by the trunk hinge and presto!, the white wire was broken. Fixed it per your instruction and it"s as good as new. Thanks again to you ,1990LS400 and 90LS400Lexus.

Oh yes... sounds like the notorious trunk hinge wiring issue. It can cause an array of problems. I do not think there is a gen 1 LS400 on the road that has not been haunted by it at sometime or another. Apparently the wiring gets twisted and frazzled, then causes many electrical systems on the car go bezerk.

I think my current LS has already been serviced, but my old 1990 LS had not been tampered with at that area and everything still worked fine to my amazement. :)

Good luck!

Many thanks. Had 3 replies and all 3 are dead on. Worked on the trunk hinge wiring right away and sure enough the white wire was broken. Fixed it and the problem was gone. If only you guys are nearby. i would buy you all 3 a dinner.

No problem! Were glad to help! Glad you got it fixed.

Good luck!

Many thanks. Had 3 replies and all 3 are dead on. Worked on the trunk hinge wiring right away and sure enough the white wire was broken. Fixed it and the problem was gone. If only you guys are nearby. i would buy you all 3 a dinner.

• 2 months later...

Any other ideas on this guys as I already checked my hinge and looks good, my reverse light stays on all the time, lights on or off, on or off brakes and I can't drive car til I figure it out. Is there a switch in the center console that could be bad or where does this wire originate from, maybe a short farther up?