Filling Issue Thru Trans Dipstick Tube

yesterday i drained the trans fluid from my 97' lexus es300, maybe 3 quarts came out. when i went to refill thru the dipstick tube it kept wanting to overflow, i was using a funnel and was pouring very slowly and it didnt seem to matter, i had to pour like 3-4 ounces at a time then wait then pour again. i dont understand why i just couldnt pou ir in like another car, even my honda doesnt do this. does anyone know why this happened and what i can do if anything so the next time i can just fill it up alot faster.

Have not experience that, I use a very small funnel which does not much more than guide the fluid....I am sure If you tilt the funnel and allow air to enter also that it should flow better..

When you place the funnel, after it's in all the way, pulll it out 1/4 inch or so, depending on how far it's gone in, to allow for air to escape.

i did that and it didnt sem to help , i just had to pour like i said maybe 3-4 ounces at a time if i was lucky, it just dont make sense to me.

yesterday i drained the trans fluid from my 97' lexus es300, maybe 3 quarts came out. when i went to refill thru the dipstick tube it kept wanting to overflow, i was using a funnel and was pouring very slowly and it didnt seem to matter, i had to pour like 3-4 ounces at a time then wait then pour again. i dont understand why i just couldnt pou ir in like another car, even my honda doesnt do this. does anyone know why this happened and what i can do if anything so the next time i can just fill it up alot faster.

I don't know why that would happen either. Maybe there is some sort of blockage inside the dipstick tube? Perhaps next time try warming the ATF a bit (submerge the container/s in a bath of hot tap water for a few minutes to warm it up) just before you pour it into the funnel. This might help to thin the ATF a little so it will flow down the tube easier. Might be worth a try. Just make sure you don't get any water in the container/s and be sure to dry the outside of the container/s off with a towel first so there is no water that could drip into the funnel as you're pouring.

I don't know why that would happen either. Maybe there is some sort of blockage inside the dipstick tube? Perhaps next time try warming the ATF a bit (submerge the container/s in a bath of hot tap water for a few minutes to warm it up) just before you pour it into the funnel. This might help to thin the ATF a little so it will flow down the tube easier. Might be worth a try. Just make sure you don't get any water in the container/s and be sure to dry the outside of the container/s off with a towel first so there is no water than could drip into the funnel as you're pouring.

Good tip Lexucan. Would prob speed things up. Definitely easier to do fluid changes in warmer weather.

I don't know why that would happen either. Maybe there is some sort of blockage inside the dipstick tube? Perhaps next time try warming the ATF a bit (submerge the container/s in a bath of hot tap water for a few minutes to warm it up) just before you pour it into the funnel. This might help to thin the ATF a little so it will flow down the tube easier. Might be worth a try. Just make sure you don't get any water in the container/s and be sure to dry the outside of the container/s off with a towel first so there is no water than could drip into the funnel as you're pouring.

Good tip Lexucan. Would prob speed things up. Definitely easier to do fluid changes in warmer weather.

thanks guys , i definitely cant possibly overfill with this problem, if its a problem, the car runs fine, its absolutely a dream to drive , the mechanic at the toyota dealer went over it with me, let me get under it with him and all. he showed me a few ins and outs, he said i got a real steal from the original owner only 73k on it, she had the timing belt done at 62k and the breaks, all her work has been done at the lexus dealer. she even had the sticker that comes in the window in the glove box, 36 k she paid. he did say that the rear sway bar bushings should be replaced, other than that A-1.

You may have a bent or clogged vent pipe: see attached picture of pipe that is below the filler tube:This is on a Highlander, but probably same as es since they use basically the same tranny.

post-12820-1233082419_thumb.jpg