Let It Snow, Let It Snow

Meist21

Snowing like a@#$%& here in the Chicago area. Wife has the LS 400 at work. ( Iwarned her it was going to snow hot and heavy today) When she makes it home can't wait to take the LS out on its first true snow bound adventure. Plan on having fun with the neighbor (RCRFAN) who also has the same 98 LS 400. I will see what the beast can or can't do........

Meist,

Coming down here too! Lot's of freezing rain and light snow!

My LS has been in the Garage for 5 Days straight! Beautifully washed and DOUBLE WAXED. Wish I could take it out in a beautiful sunshine day to get photos of her :D

Tomorrow (and the rest of the week) will be a slushy ride..... we'll see how well the Collinite wax Cleans up!

I'M READY FOR APRIL!!!! :lol:

Do youall really like to drive your LS's in snow and ice???

I would never do that [fender work too expensive]; plus they don't do good in all that stuff.

If I lived in the North, I would buy a used Outback(ALL WHEEL DRIVE) for the snow and ice trips and leave the Lexus at home. Just my $0.02 !!!! :D

I just got back from Westport (99Lsguy also lives in the Kansas City area) and the roads are really not bad although about 30 of the other 38 people who were supposed to show up at the bar wimped out because of the ice.

The 2000 LS I bought in November is a real hoot to drive in the snow and ice and it seems to get around a lot better than the 90 LS I had. The 90 did not have TRAC and, although I always used snow tires in the winter, the ones I used were more like all season tires.

The 2000 got new Blissaks before the first snow so that may be mainly responsible for how well it does. I'm finding the transmission "snow mode" to be very effective in eliminating rear wheel spin and it is a lot of fun to push the car until the VSC intervenes.

Of course I grew up doing "handbrake turns" in 2-seaters -- sliding around corners in the snow -- now that is really fun!

One of the best ways to get comfortable with the LS or any car is to take it to an empty parking lot (without light poles!) on a snowy/icy day and drive it like hell - drive until you lose control. Then you will know how to make the appropriate correction in an emergency. And you will also have a lot of fun!

Believe it or not, my LS is my winter car. I use my SC during the summer and the rest of the time. So far we haven't had a heavy snow storm, but if we get a foot of snow, that prevents me from going out of the house. That stops me from getting into an accident. Besides, have a Honda Civic with two snow tires. Excellent Rally Car :lol:

maybe I am missing something. My '93 does not have TRAC and in snow or ice it just spins one wheel--like my old 635csi did. Certainly not good for the white stuff.

Sounds like when I upgrade to a later model LS I should get TRAC--correct????

TRAC was standard equipment on Canadian market LS400's, so my 92 has it. It certainly works in the rain to prevent wheelspin. Turn it off and the thing will spin a tire for a city block! I haven't tried the LS in the snow we have right now, as I am busy abusing the old Volvo I bought for my daughter. Now that's a great snow car.

I had to get into the LS at the first freeze up, and I had to heat the key with a lighter to get the door unlocked. Then the door wouldn't latch when I shut it. Had to wait for the sun to warm the door panel. I couldn't believe it.

The amount of salt on the roads right now is incredible, so I am trying to avoid contaminating the LS - the Volvo is quite rusty already, so it is the designated road warrior. Big studded snow tires. Scrap steel in the trunk. Park it anywhere, don't even lock it.

maybe I am missing something. My '93 does not have TRAC and in snow or ice it just spins one wheel--like my old 635csi did. Certainly not good for the white stuff.

Sounds like when I upgrade to a later model LS I should get TRAC--correct????

I beleive it was an optional equipment for the 93s

Hi everyboldy!!!! I have been very busy at work and the Holidays after that. I miss my family here....

Anyway I thought I would post here cause it's going to snow 8-12" late tonight and tomorrow here in the Seattle area. It rarely snows around here, it's usually wet and mild in the winters. We get a big snow like this maybe every 5-10 years. Last one like this was in 96. It's only for 1 day and it will turn into rain late tomorrow or Wed at the latest. It'll be a big slushy mess. I drove my car in a about 3" of snow here last week and it did suprisingly good. I thought it would be sliding all over the place but it was fine.

I almost feel guilty as it has been in the mid to high 70's here for the past several days. I use my 92 Caprice in the winter as it is really good in snow even without snow tires. Since we are suppose to have snow here Friday, I might get to go out in it. Just a word of advice on the parking lot practice. He was sliding around in a parking lot when a dipship cop gave him a reckless driving ticket! Apparently there is far to many cops with too little to do.