Check Vsc, Engine, Trac Off 3 Times In A Row

ScottRoy

Last night I had the third incidence of the Check VSC, Check engine, and Trac Off lights all coming on at the same time while on the freeway. Happened first time in October. The dealer replaced a coil on one of the cylinders - a misfire was reported by the computer and it blamed the coil, as he described it. (extended Warranty).

I got the lights again in November, and they replaced another coil. Now that I have seen this yet again, I am wondering if this is a defect.

I'm also wondering how a "misfire" can have an effect on the VSC and TRAC???

Anyone else seen this in LS 430's or other models? Mine is a 2004.

An 05 LS430 owner over on "that other Lexus forum" reported a similar problem last November except that the owner did not report that the CEL was on -- only the Check VSC and Traction Off.

The repair shop that fixed the car (not a Lexus dealer) in Branson, Missouri told the LS owner that the problem was a knock sensor. A few people questioned whether a defective knock sensor could cause the problem but after the repair shop kept the car a few days, the owner reported the following, quote:

"My Lexus is home and (crossing fingers) hope that the problem has been solved. I drove it home on one breath, then let a big sigh of relief when I pulled into my driveway.

So it seems it was the knock sensor and wiring harness. When they called to tell me it was ready, I nearly fainted. They told me they drove it a couple of times to make sure and all the lights are off."

--------------------------------

The LS owner did not follow up with more posts on the thread so the assumption is that the problem is fixed.

The only thing that has ever caused the Check VSC message to be displayed on my 2000 LS400 has been a defective battery. A few people have reported that corrosion or a poorly connected battery cable can cause the Check VSC but I don't remember anyone mentioning the CEL and the Traction Off lighting up too. I would think your battery would be OK since you've been experiencing problems for several months. Once a battery starts going, they usually fail pretty fast although I've sometimes had intermittent problems for a few weeks before a battery finally failed completely. The only battery I've had in an LS that lasted over four years during my 19 years of LS ownership has been the original Toyota battery that came in the car. If your battery happens to be the original one, I'd tend to be a little suspicious about it.

An 05 LS430 owner over on "that other Lexus forum" reported a similar problem last November except that the owner did not report that the CEL was on -- only the Check VSC and Traction Off.

The repair shop that fixed the car (not a Lexus dealer) in Branson, Missouri told the LS owner that the problem was a knock sensor. A few people questioned whether a defective knock sensor could cause the problem but after the repair shop kept the car a few days, the owner reported the following, quote:

"My Lexus is home and (crossing fingers) hope that the problem has been solved. I drove it home on one breath, then let a big sigh of relief when I pulled into my driveway.

So it seems it was the knock sensor and wiring harness. When they called to tell me it was ready, I nearly fainted. They told me they drove it a couple of times to make sure and all the lights are off."

--------------------------------

The LS owner did not follow up with more posts on the thread so the assumption is that the problem is fixed.

The only thing that has ever caused the Check VSC message to be displayed on my 2000 LS400 has been a defective battery. A few people have reported that corrosion or a poorly connected battery cable can cause the Check VSC but I don't remember anyone mentioning the CEL and the Traction Off lighting up too. I would think your battery would be OK since you've been experiencing problems for several months. Once a battery starts going, they usually fail pretty fast although I've sometimes had intermittent problems for a few weeks before a battery finally failed completely. The only battery I've had in an LS that lasted over four years during my 19 years of LS ownership has been the original Toyota battery that came in the car. If your battery happens to be the original one, I'd tend to be a little suspicious about it.

Good find. I would not be surprised if a bad knock sensor would cause a CEL on some cars.

To the OP, how is your gas mileage?

To the OP, how is your gas mileage?

Average, which is mostly Freeway with some surface streets and stop-n-go is around 22

This is an 2004 and it is the original battery, I think. But, wouldn't I see other signs of battery trouble?

This is a huge dealer with a big shop. I'd expect they mostly know what is going on under the hood. I was told that since this is a repeat of the same problem on different cylinders each time (so far), they will escalate to the foreman for a closer look.

This is an 2004 and it is the original battery, I think. But, wouldn't I see other signs of battery trouble?

Batteries can fail intermittently over a period of days or weeks but it usually doesn't take months. I'm tending to doubt that your problem is caused by a bad battery since it is occurring over such a long period of time.

On both my 90 and 00 LS400s, the first sign of a battery problem has usually been the engine dying at low speed and the Check VSC message on the 00 LS. This makes sense since it is normal for the Check VSC to be displayed after replacing a battery; there is a VSC reset procedure described in my LS400 manual to reset the VSC after the battery is disconnected/reconnected. But I think at least LS430 owner has said on this forum that a VSC reset procedure is not in the LS430 owners manual.

The longest a battery has lasted on either of my LS cars has been 4 years and about 3 months -- the batteries that lasted the longest were the ones that were in the cars when they were new.

It wouldn't hurt to mention the knock sensor / harness issue the person on ClubLexus reported. I don't mean to send you on a wild goose chase -- only reporting what I saw in that Clublexus thread and my experiences with LS cars over the past 19 years.

It may be different for your LS430 but I'll attach the instructions from my 00 LS manual on how to reset its VSC.

post-2157-1232776544_thumb.jpg

I started a thread about the same issue about a month ago titled "Dash Lighting Up Like A Christmas Tree" I have an 05 Ls430 and my outcome was a "bad abs sensor" in the front drivers side wheel. The sensor was part of the hub assembly and the bill was $635.00

I too am puzzled why a cylinder would cause your lights to come on.

• 3 months later...

Very interested to read the OP's comments about a connection between a failing ignition coil and a "Check VSC" warning light.

Today I had my "Check VSC" warning light come on and immediately I noticed that the engine was appearing to "miss", as if one of the coils had gone.

The "missing" problem has gone at the moment - although I will check each coil when I can - but the warning light remains on - hopefully I can find out how to reset the "Check VSC" warning light.

Kind regards,

Mike

• 4 years later...