Ls Starting Problem

raymsixsix

Hey guys, I've searched through the forums but am not sure what might be the problem. In the video if you listen closely, you can hear a strange "creek" noise when the car is supposed to start. When the noise happens it feels as though the car missed and it jolts a little while trying to complete the starting process. I don't have a Check Engine Light on either. I am taking the car in to change the high pressure hose for the power steering, but since this starting problem only happens from time to time, I'm afraid the mechanic won't be able to duplicate it and therefore not be able to tell me anything. You know how it is, whenever a car is at the mechanic's and you're trying to show them what is wrong, everything works perfectly LOL. I was lucky enough to be able to film it today as I notice the problem usually happens on cold starts. Another problem that the car has is that it idles kind of high not just when its engine is cold but also if it's all warmed up and I'm driving it. Oddly, if the car is all warmed up and just parked idling the RPM's will eventually lower to the normal range. Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated guy. Thanks again. BTW, it's a 1995 LS400 with 130,000mi.

Ray

Hey guys, I've searched through the forums but am not sure what might be the problem. In the video if you listen closely, you can hear a strange "creek" noise when the car is supposed to start. When the noise happens it feels as though the car missed and it jolts a little while trying to complete the starting process. I don't have a Check Engine Light on either. I am taking the car in to change the high pressure hose for the power steering, but since this starting problem only happens from time to time, I'm afraid the mechanic won't be able to duplicate it and therefore not be able to tell me anything. You know how it is, whenever a car is at the mechanic's and you're trying to show them what is wrong, everything works perfectly LOL. I was lucky enough to be able to film it today as I notice the problem usually happens on cold starts. Another problem that the car has is that it idles kind of high not just when its engine is cold but also if it's all warmed up and I'm driving it. Oddly, if the car is all warmed up and just parked idling the RPM's will eventually lower to the normal range. Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated guy. Thanks again. BTW, it's a 1995 LS400 with 130,000mi.

Ray

Sounds like a contact prob with the starter. Since you have the video,why not play it for your tech, or if they're on line, just give them the link.

Ray

It kinda sounds like the engine backfires right before it starts. You might just have to let it go until it gets worse. Have you had a recent tune up and throttle body cleaned? Might not hurt to try some injector cleaner and some dry gas in the tank.

Ray

It kinda sounds like the engine backfires right before it starts. You might just have to let it go until it gets worse. Have you had a recent tune up and throttle body cleaned? Might not hurt to try some injector cleaner and some dry gas in the tank.

She had her plugs/wires done about 30,000 miles ago by her previous owner. Timing belt/water pump was done about 17,000 miles ago. Throttle body I'm not sure has ever been done. Is there a particula injector cleaner any of you guys have used that you could recommend? Or could I just pick either one? I'm not sure what you mean by "dry gas in the tank." I assume you mean put the injector cleaner in the tank when it's empty before I fill up gas? Thanks for the info :cheers:

Ray

I listened to it again, and you're right it could be a backfire. Can't type anymore and I'm squinting so much that my eyes are getting to be slits. That's it, I'm gonna hit the hay.

Ray

She had her plugs/wires done about 30,000 miles ago by her previous owner. Timing belt/water pump was done about 17,000 miles ago. Throttle body I'm not sure has ever been done. Is there a particula injector cleaner any of you guys have used that you could recommend? Or could I just pick either one? I'm not sure what you mean by "dry gas in the tank." I assume you mean put the injector cleaner in the tank when it's empty before I fill up gas? Thanks for the info :cheers:

Ray

If you're not sure if it's ever been done - remove the air ducting and clean the throttle body (on the inside). You should use a spray can of throttle body cleaner from your parts store... with a small red plastic tube connected to the spray nozzle. I found exactly how to do it (with photos) at www.mobiloil.com. Search for (Cleaning Engine Throttle Bodies). Dry gas is something that will mix with any water that might be in your fuel tank so that it will burn with your fuel rather than make your engine run rough or freeze in the gas line. Some brands of fuel injector cleaner also take care of water in the gas tank. My mechanic recommends Sea Foam. Available at Wal-Mart.

Ray

Ray

If you're not sure if it's ever been done - remove the air ducting and clean the throttle body (on the inside). You should use a spray can of throttle body cleaner from your parts store... with a small red plastic tube connected to the spray nozzle. I found exactly how to do it (with photos) at www.mobiloil.com. Search for (Cleaning Engine Throttle Bodies). Dry gas is something that will mix with any water that might be in your fuel tank so that it will burn with your fuel rather than make your engine run rough or freeze in the gas line. Some brands of fuel injector cleaner also take care of water in the gas tank. My mechanic recommends Sea Foam. Available at Wal-Mart.

Thanks again guys. I'm heading to Advance Autoparts and pick up some of my supplies. It looks like I won't have to wait too long for it to get worse. That starting noise is getting more frequent now. It happened twice yesterday of the four times I started my car. I did my taxes already and the refund is coming in this coming week, so if I can't figure it out, the indie should. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, I took her in to the shop and got most of the issues addressed. They replaced the high pressure hose for the power steering system leak. Replaced the EGR pipe that had a huge hole. Did a tranny flush, as well as replaced a brakepad wear sensor. Also, a four wheel alignment. I'm guessing that the EGR played a big role in the idling and starting issue as both are almost nonexistant anymore. I'm going to try and tackle the throttle body cleaning myself and see how things turn out. Thanks again guys for all your input. :cheers: :cheers:

Well guys, I took her in to the shop and got most of the issues addressed. They replaced the high pressure hose for the power steering system leak. Replaced the EGR pipe that had a huge hole. Did a tranny flush, as well as replaced a brakepad wear sensor. Also, a four wheel alignment. I'm guessing that the EGR played a big role in the idling and starting issue as both are almost nonexistant anymore. I'm going to try and tackle the throttle body cleaning myself and see how things turn out. Thanks again guys for all your input.:cheers::cheers:

ray;

I post this so much, I'm even bored with myself. The high pressure hose for the P/S is merely the symptom. The root cause of the problem is the P/S Rack solenoid screen/filter. It is clogged and it is causing the P/S loop pressure to go up to the point where leaks occur. You need to get the screen/filter cleaned. If you don't take care of it soon, your new hose and your P/S pump will leak (again). The leaking fluid gets into the alternator (directly below it) and ruins the alternator, which in turn, ruins the battery.

If your shop didn't know about it, they probably aren't conversant enough to work on your car long term. It's a bit of an obscure problem in general, but very common on LS's.

Well guys, I took her in to the shop and got most of the issues addressed. They replaced the high pressure hose for the power steering system leak. Replaced the EGR pipe that had a huge hole. Did a tranny flush, as well as replaced a brakepad wear sensor. Also, a four wheel alignment. I'm guessing that the EGR played a big role in the idling and starting issue as both are almost nonexistant anymore. I'm going to try and tackle the throttle body cleaning myself and see how things turn out. Thanks again guys for all your input.:cheers::cheers:

ray;

I post this so much, I'm even bored with myself. The high pressure hose for the P/S is merely the symptom. The root cause of the problem is the P/S Rack solenoid screen/filter. It is clogged and it is causing the P/S loop pressure to go up to the point where leaks occur. You need to get the screen/filter cleaned. If you don't take care of it soon, your new hose and your P/S pump will leak (again). The leaking fluid gets into the alternator (directly below it) and ruins the alternator, which in turn, ruins the battery.

If your shop didn't know about it, they probably aren't conversant enough to work on your car long term. It's a bit of an obscure problem in general, but very common on LS's.

According to them the pump/screen was fine and it was the hose that had a hole in it and was leaking. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

ray;

According to them the pump/screen was fine and it was the hose that had a hole in it and was leaking. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

ray:

I am very specifically referring to the screen on the Rack Solenoid, Not the screen in the bottom of the Power Steering Pump Reservoir. I mean to say the Solenoid on the Power Steering Rack underneath the car. Sorry for the "Department of Redundancy Department" stuff............

So the EGR tube fixed it? That would've been my guess, as your engine in the video seems to run really loud (my '94 Miata had a broken EGR pipe and sounded kind of like that).

Hehe, yeah that quited her down a bit. She used to sound like a muscle car LOL