New Is 350 Owner

Greetings all. I am new to this site and have purchased my fist Lexus (IS 350). I just want to verify that the two noises I am hearing are normal. when I start and turn off the car I get a buzzing noise coming from the steering wheel, sort of like an electric motor. I only lasts for a second or two then goes away. Second the engine is quite noisy (for a lexus)IMO. Sounds like my old race cars full roller valve train. Are these noises to be expected? The car has 29k on it and was recently serviced at the dealer so I wont need to take it in until 34k, but im so used to dealerships telling me "thats normal" I figured I would ask someone who would be honest w/ me. Thanks

First, welcome to the club. :cheers:

To all your questions is, yes it's normal. The noise inside is the steering lock engaging and disengaging. And yes the engine does make those noises, but after a while you get to the point that it does not bother you anymore. I don't hear those noises anymore in mine. ^_^

Enjoy your ride. You got a nice car there.

Welcome to the LOC!

Yup, all normal as JENunnez put. The sound from the motor is the direct fuel injection system. It works alot like a diesel system does, so it kind of sounds like one also.

The buzzing from the steering wheel sounds like the tilt/telescoping wheel moving up and away when you turn off the engine, and coming down and forward to you when you start up.

Have you tried moving the steering wheel with the adjuster on the left of the column?

The buzzing from the steering wheel sounds like the tilt/telescoping wheel moving up and away when you turn off the engine, and coming down and forward to you when you start up.

Have you tried moving the steering wheel with the adjuster on the left of the column?

I have the "manual" steering wheel. <_<

GASP! :blushing:

Did you buy the "AMC Pacer Memorial" version? :D

Welcome to the LOC, by the way!

GASP! :blushing:

Did you buy the "AMC Pacer Memorial" version? :D

Welcome to the LOC, by the way!

AMC Pacer Memorial" version

:lol:

:D

On your engine noise question:

I noticed that my 1999 and 2003 RX300's were much more quiet than the RX400h is. Even my wife raised her eyebrows the first time she put her foot in it. It seems Lexus has designed in a more throaty, mean growl than it used to have. Maybe feedback from Infinity, BMW and AMG owners that Lexus was not sporty enough for them.

Yeah the engine is noisy...if you're standing OUTSIDE. Inside you can't hear anything really...and if you got music on then you're more than good.

Also I'm glad you mentioned that little buzz from the steering wheel when you turn on the car...I never noticed it until I read this thread and now I realize...

I LOVE THAT NOISE lol! It sounds so high tech!

Mine seems pretty stripped. No GPS, radar cruise, rain sensing wipers, but hell I only drive it to work (so I know where im going) and I live in AZ! so it harldy ever rains here. One nice thing the car did come with are the G spider wheels. I am more and more impressed w/ this car every time I drive it. I like it more than my dads sc430!