Upgrading My 94ls To A 98ls

billydpowell

anyone had any "rear end noise"

Yes, occasionally -- I eat a lot of beans. ;) No, never had any rear end noise on my similar 00 LS400 except for an unruly rear seat passenger.

Can't check it out before buying? Ouch! How do you know if everything is working? The common steering tilt/telescope problem with on the 98-00 LS (fixed at the factory midway through the 2000 model year) alone can cost thousands to fix if it wasn't fixed under the TSIB. Does the car have HID headlights? Many 1998s do not. Are the radio and HVAC LCDs working and all the backlights for the buttons.

Can't see much from the photos but I'm guessing that it is minimally equipped since it doesn't have the wood wheel and shifter -- the all leather wheel is more comfortable anyway IMO. Here's a link to the 98 LS specs in case you don't have them: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1998/1998LSspecs.pdf

If you are really interested, can you have a Lexus dealer give you the car's history to see if any of the TSIBs have been applied.

Sounds like a roll of the dice. It would be interesting to know how much this car actually sells for at the auction. I don't have much of an idea but I'd guess $3000 tops.

anyone had any "rear end noise"

Yes, occasionally -- I eat a lot of beans. ;) No, never had any rear end noise on my similar 00 LS400 except for an unruly rear seat passenger.

Can't check it out before buying? Ouch! How do you know if everything is working? The common steering tilt/telescope problem with on the 98-00 LS (fixed at the factory midway through the 2000 model year) alone can cost thousands to fix if it wasn't fixed under the TSIB. Does the car have HID headlights? Many 1998s do not. Are the radio and HVAC LCDs working and all the backlights for the buttons.

Can't see much from the photos but I'm guessing that it is minimally equipped since it doesn't have the wood wheel and shifter -- the all leather wheel is more comfortable anyway IMO. Here's a link to the 98 LS specs in case you don't have them: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1998/1998LSspecs.pdf

If you are really interested, can you have a Lexus dealer give you the car's history to see if any of the TSIBs have been applied.

Sounds like a roll of the dice. It would be interesting to know how much this car actually sells for at the auction. I don't have much of an idea but I'd guess $3000 tops.

It sold for 5500, my faith ran out at 5000. yes, everything worked inside, I could drive it around the lot, but thats all. it had no timing belt sticker, but it had been steamed... any way, I'm looking. thanks.. bp

It sold for 5500, my faith ran out at 5000. yes, everything worked inside, I could drive it around the lot, but thats all. it had no timing belt sticker, but it had been steamed... any way, I'm looking. thanks.. bp

Wow! That's a big price for a 98 LS like that at an auto auction. 01 LS430 with lower miles and in decent shape have brought less than $10,000 at auction. I wonder if there were non-dealer bidders who wanted it for their personal use. Was this a real wholesale auto auction for the car dealer trade? A $5500 price doesn't seem to leave room for "reconditioning", which this car obviously needs, or allow the kind of profit the used car dealers I know would be interested in.

Wow! That's a big price for a 98 LS like that at an auto auction. 01 LS430 with lower miles and in decent shape have brought less $10,000 at auction. I wonder if there were non-dealer bidders who wanted it for their personal use. Was this a real wholesale auto auction for the car dealer trade? A $5500 price doesn't seem to leave room for "reconditioning", which this car obviously needs, or allow the kind of profit the used car dealers I know would be interested in.

you have to be a licensed dealer to get in, it was ADESA auto auction. you have to have a Auction Access card to get in. of coarse that dosent mean no one cheats, I figured it would be in the 4's somewhere.

oh well Cheers.