No Wipers, Fuse Keeps Blowing.

simontaylor

My Wipers stopped working and so did the washers, so I replaced the blown fuse.

Fuse blew again after 1 quick test, so it looks like something more serious.

As per http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...32&hl=wiper

I took the wiper asembley off and dismantled the wiper motor. There is plenty of brushes left, so I cleaned them, and the armature with some solvent. After re-assembly I connected the wiper motor to a spare battery and tested it as per the Repair manual (using pins 1 and 2/3 for slow/fast speeds). It works fine and I also measured that it draws 2 or 4 amps depending on speed, drawing a litle more current upon start up. I ran it for at least a minute, no problem and also several short bursts.

I do not think that it is the wiper motor which is blowing the fuse?

This is a Mark III '95 car, I think the assembly is the same as Mk II/I.

Has any one had a similair problem?

Does any one have any suggestions of what else I can check or test or do?

There is another motor on the wiper assembly, for parking the wipers I think, but I can not find and info on net or in repair manual (mechanical and electrical) about it.

At the moment I am driving about with no wipers and a bucket of water/sponge in the boot.

MANY THANKS in advance for any help at all?

What size is the fuse? Could it possibly have been previously replaced with the wrong type or value?

Does the motor work fine but bind when connected to the gear box?

Could the wipers possibly be binding excessively on the windshield....sorry, windscreen?

You sound like you are knowledgeable about current measurement. You might try connecting the wiper assembly to the car

via longer wires without actually bolting it in place just as you have done with the external battery.

Only this time use the actual fuse and switch circuit within the car and an ammeter in series to measure the current. You could also put

a small resistor (0.5 ohm) in place of the fuse to limit the current draw just in case there is a serious short. A spare brake light bulb can work nicely for a limiting

resistor. The filament exhibits low resistance when cold but with too much current will quickly heat up and limit the current. Just what your

motor needs during startup(inrush current).

This method might give you an idea as to how much your wiper is drawing and help to isolate the problem. As you mentioned, maybe there is another load

somewhere on the same circuit and you can disconnect wires to track it down.

Keep a fire extinguisher close by :D