Recall Announced On 2006 Gs300 And 2007 Gs350

Lexus announced thru channels today that there is a campaign(recall) on 06-07-GS 300 and 350"s

They will be replacing the Fuel Rails for the fuel injection, the Electronic steering racks, and rear brake caliper bolts.

If you are in the NY area call the guys at Rallye Lexus 516-676-8686 if you need help. They always help me and are the guys that do the car show and are active on this site.

Special Service Campaigns (SSC)

SSC 9LA Certain 2006 2007 GS, 2006 2008 IS and 2007 2008 LS Vehicles Fuel Delivery Pipe Replacement

SSC 9LB Certain 2006 2007 GS and IS Vehicles Rear Brake Caliper Inspection

SSC 9LC Certain2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h Vehicles Electric Power Steering Link (EPS) Assembly Replacement

******URGENT******

On January 16, 2009, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain 2006 2007 GS 300/350, 2006 2008 IS 250/350 and 2007 2008 LS 460/460L vehicles. The involved vehicles are equipped with aluminum fuel delivery pipes (fuel rails). Lexus has determined that ethanol fuels with low moisture content will corrode the internal surface of the fuel rails. As this condition progresses the engine malfunction light (MIL) may illuminate. Over time, the corrosion will create a pinhole resulting in fuel leakage. SSC 9LA will be launched to replace the Fuel Delivery Pipes in the affected vehicles.

There are approximately 43,700 GS 300 (24,500 2WD, 19,200 AWD), 23,700 GS 350 (14,000 2WD, 9,700 AWD), 85,800 IS 250 (54,000 2WD, 31,800 AWD), 24,900 IS 350, and 36,400 LS 460 (25,500 LS 460, 10,900 LS 460L) vehicles involved in the U.S.

Additionally, Lexus is launching two other SSCs.

9LB Certain 2006 2007 model GS and IS vehicles to inspect rear brake calipers. On certain Lexus vehicles, the slide pin in the rear brake calipers may not operate smoothly. If the vehicle continues to be operated under these conditions, the brake pads may make noise.

9LC Certain 2007 GS 450h, 2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h vehicles to replace the electric power steering link (EPS) assembly. Certain vehicles may experience a noticeable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel to the complete left or right position. This condition may be most perceptible when parking the vehicle.

A dealer package including vital information and reimbursement procedures will be sent to dealers (to the attention of the service manager) today.

Lexus will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Special Service Campaign notification letter sent via first class mail beginning in late January 2009.

All customer inquires should be directed to the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-255-3987.

If you are a dealership associate and have any questions, please contact your District Service and Parts Manager.

For News media inquiries only, they should be directed to Julie Alfonso (310) 468-4625 or Greg Thome (310) 468-3279, in Lexus Corporate Communications. (Please do not provide these numbers to customers or call if you are a dealer associate.)

I contacted my dealership for two reasons:

1. to see if the Fuel Rail replacement in Nov 2007 was the same as the above and

2. if my vehicle falls in the VIN range that is specific to this recall.

Here is the response from my dealership:

Dear Stephen,

In regards to your inquiry, the most recent Lexus service campaigns 9LA, 9LB, and 9LC do apply to your 2006 GS300 according to the VIN # you have provided. Service campaign 9LA is a different campaign than the one that was sent out in 2007. The fuel injection line is made up of different components and the fuel delivery pipe is a different part than the part that was changed previously. Based on the VIN # provided and the VIN # range for the service campaign 9LB your vehicle does need the rear brake caliper inspection and possible replacement even if noise is not heard from the brakes at this time. In 2006 the power steering gear unit was replaced due to a service campaign. Service campaign 9LC does require the Electric Power Steering Assembly (EPS) to be replaced. Although gradual increase in the steering is not noticeable at this time it is possible in the future; therefore, Lexus is requiring replacement of the EPS assembly at this time. I have gone ahead and ordered the parts required for these repairs for you. We will inform you once these parts have come in via phone, email and/or mail. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email if you have any questions or concerns and/or when you are ready to schedule an appointment with Ronni.

We thank you for servicing your vehicle with Herb Chambers Lexus.

As always we appreciate your business and we’re looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Looks like I have to have all three done. At least they are paying for it.

steviej

Thanks for the update. I may have to try Rallye Lexus, though Lexus of Queens was oustanding with their last service (though it did take them 3 days to fix the rattle, they finally fixed it), the manager and receptionist were very pleasant.

1. to see if the Fuel Rail replacement in Nov 2007 was the same as the above and

Dear Stephen,

In regards to your inquiry, the most recent Lexus service campaigns 9LA, 9LB, and 9LC do apply to your 2006 GS300 according to the VIN # you have provided. Service campaign 9LA is a different campaign than the one that was sent out in 2007. The fuel injection line is made up of different components and the fuel delivery pipe is a different part than the part that was changed previously. Based on the VIN # provided and the VIN # range for the service campaign 9LB your vehicle does need the rear brake caliper inspection and possible replacement even if noise is not heard from the brakes at this time. In 2006 the power steering gear unit was replaced due to a service campaign. Service campaign 9LC does require the Electric Power Steering Assembly (EPS) to be replaced. Although gradual increase in the steering is not noticeable at this time it is possible in the future; therefore, Lexus is requiring replacement of the EPS assembly at this time. I have gone ahead and ordered the parts required for these repairs for you. We will inform you once these parts have come in via phone, email and/or mail. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email if you have any questions or concerns and/or when you are ready to schedule an appointment with Ronni.

As always we appreciate your business and we’re looking forward to hearing from you soon!

steviej

Hey Steviej,

Have you had the recalls completed yet? How long was the car in the shop? Since these items are covered under warranty, I figured since I'm taking it in, they can also attempt to troubleshoot the dashboard creaks, and rattles. Do you know if this is under warranty as well?

Thanks

Today Wednesday, one day after the start of this thread, I called my California Lexus dealer. He was not 100% familiar with the recall, but had heard about it. He asked my name and pulled up the VIN for my 2006 GS300. He said my car was on the list to get 3 recall fixes; the fuel line, the brake one, and the steering fix. He scheduled me of next week because they needed to order the steering part. He later called to say don't fill my gas tank, because they will fill it after the brake fix (as part of the recall???). So he basically let me know to take advantage that. :) And he indicated they wanted it for 1/2 to 3/4s of a day and they will give me a loaner.

Nothing is perfect, but they are going to take care of these issues with little inconvenience to me, so I am ok with that. :)

Dear Stephen,

steviej

Hey Steviej,

Have you had the recalls completed yet? How long was the car in the shop? Since these items are covered under warranty, I figured since I'm taking it in, they can also attempt to troubleshoot the dashboard creaks, and rattles. Do you know if this is under warranty as well?

Thanks

I haven't had it done yet because the this service campaign is so new dealerships don't even have replacement parts in stock. Mine have been ordered. They will call me when the parts are in and let me know how long to expect. If longer than I care to wait, they will provide me with a loaner. Your dashboard creaks should be covered under the dash creak TSB (technical service bulletin). If your car is still under original warranty, then they are definately covered.

Funny though, when I said recall on the phone, they immediately corrected me and said it is a service campaign. I said, "whatever" as long as Lexus is paying for it. As explained by someone in the business, a service campaign is when the maker announces they found the problem and volunterally offers the work. A recall is when the federal government finds that there is sufficient evidence to warrant and change and tells the maker they must resolve a problem. I really don't car. . . . . walks like a duck, smells like a duck, not paying for it.

steviej

Lexus announced thru channels today that there is a campaign(recall) on 06-07-GS 300 and 350"s

They will be replacing the Fuel Rails for the fuel injection, the Electronic steering racks, and rear brake caliper bolts.

If you are in the NY area call the guys at Rallye Lexus 516-676-8686 if you need help. They always help me and are the guys that do the car show and are active on this site.

Special Service Campaigns (SSC)

SSC 9LA Certain 2006 2007 GS, 2006 2008 IS and 2007 2008 LS Vehicles Fuel Delivery Pipe Replacement

SSC 9LB Certain 2006 2007 GS and IS Vehicles Rear Brake Caliper Inspection

SSC 9LC Certain2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h Vehicles Electric Power Steering Link (EPS) Assembly Replacement

******URGENT******

On January 16, 2009, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain 2006 2007 GS 300/350, 2006 2008 IS 250/350 and 2007 2008 LS 460/460L vehicles. The involved vehicles are equipped with aluminum fuel delivery pipes (fuel rails). Lexus has determined that ethanol fuels with low moisture content will corrode the internal surface of the fuel rails. As this condition progresses the engine malfunction light (MIL) may illuminate. Over time, the corrosion will create a pinhole resulting in fuel leakage. SSC 9LA will be launched to replace the Fuel Delivery Pipes in the affected vehicles.

There are approximately 43,700 GS 300 (24,500 2WD, 19,200 AWD), 23,700 GS 350 (14,000 2WD, 9,700 AWD), 85,800 IS 250 (54,000 2WD, 31,800 AWD), 24,900 IS 350, and 36,400 LS 460 (25,500 LS 460, 10,900 LS 460L) vehicles involved in the U.S.

Additionally, Lexus is launching two other SSCs.

9LB Certain 2006 2007 model GS and IS vehicles to inspect rear brake calipers. On certain Lexus vehicles, the slide pin in the rear brake calipers may not operate smoothly. If the vehicle continues to be operated under these conditions, the brake pads may make noise.

9LC Certain 2007 GS 450h, 2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h vehicles to replace the electric power steering link (EPS) assembly. Certain vehicles may experience a noticeable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel to the complete left or right position. This condition may be most perceptible when parking the vehicle.

A dealer package including vital information and reimbursement procedures will be sent to dealers (to the attention of the service manager) today.

Lexus will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Special Service Campaign notification letter sent via first class mail beginning in late January 2009.

All customer inquires should be directed to the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-255-3987.

If you are a dealership associate and have any questions, please contact your District Service and Parts Manager.

For News media inquiries only, they should be directed to Julie Alfonso (310) 468-4625 or Greg Thome (310) 468-3279, in Lexus Corporate Communications. (Please do not provide these numbers to customers or call if you are a dealer associate.)

Lexus of Las Vegas called me today to inform me of the service campaigns for my 2006 GS300. I hadn't heard anything prior to the phone call, but the dealer wanted to know if I still owned the vehicle, and that they would order the parts which should take about a week. I have noticed a problem with my steering ever since I bought the car new....the steering wheel actually sticks when in a slight left turn, as sometimes happens on a left heading offramp. I've mentioned it to the dealer each time it has been in for maintenance, but they always report that they can find nothing wrong. I'm glad to have this service campaign done: I hope it fixes the problem.

But I have to say this is the best automobile I've ever owned. I read on this forum that other folks have had various problems with their cars, but mine is just about perfect. I bought it new on 3/04/05, so it is nearly 4 years old, has 26,000 miles on it, and other than the steering problem mentioned above, it has been problem free. I just had the 25,000 mile service completed and the original brakes and original tires are still going strong. The dealer pronounced the car as perfect, and I must agree.

I took my GS into the dealer for a "re-repair" of a recent reproblem and they are keeping the car for the three recalls mentioned above. I have decided to trade it for an IS-F and I am looking forward to the new driving sensation.

It took only 2 days for Lexus of Las Vegas to get the parts for the recall. They called me on Friday afternoon to say that they wanted me to bring it in that day so that they could fix it on SATURDAY!!!!! Business must really be slow. Anyway, they promised to have it done by 4:00 Saturday, but at 3:00 they said that it was going slower than they thought and it wouldn't be ready until Monday. No problem for me as they gave me a 2008 IS250 loaner.

I picked it up at 2:00 on Monday, and it's great. The problem that I had with the steering has gone away, and they did a really nice job of washing the car. They did NOT fill it with gas....that must depend on the dealer. They do NOT do a complete alignment...they just reset the toe-in. And I saw the invoice amount....it wasn't close to $4,000...it was right at $2,500.

Mine was done last week. It also took longer then they thought, but I think it was because they had more cars to do then the actual work on mine. I got a 2008 loner Lexus SUV. It was fast on the city streets, but was all over the place on the freeway on these windy days. The GS rides better! I did not notice anything different when I got my car back. I did look under the car and hood and did see some components that looked new (didn't look like 3 years old). Even the settings on the radio were the same, so I don't think they disconnected the battery? Anyway, I did not notice problems before, and still do not have problems. They washed my car and DID fill the gas tank :) The total on the invoice was $2170.99 I too was wondering later if they did an alignment. It would be nice to know what services you could skip or postpone.

I called my service rep at Lexus of Chandler and he immediately told me that my GS430's VIN # fell under 2 of the "Service Campaigns".

I do appreciate Lexus telling me and paying for the work. Taking it in tomorrow. Will let you all know how it goes.

Hello!

Regarding the recall for the fuel rails and such, I just received a notice stating that they will be replacing some "items" on my vehicle once the parts become available!

Thanks for all the detailed information!

The notification came from FREMONT LEXUS (fremont, ca).

Regards,

Ali

====

I had all three service campaign items done yesturday. Car went in at 8am and I had it back by 4pm all washed and vacuumed.

By dealerships puts two guys on each car that is having this done to expedite the work. I asked them about any Lexus directed service limitations such as only doing two per day, or limits on the number of parts that a dealership can order, etc. She said she has heard no such directions by Lexus.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine done @ Westminster, CA.

Took 1 week, because a lot of people brought in their cars.

I also got an oil change and asked for some inspection work so I paid 199 in the end, but I got a loaner for 1 week.

They did good job - replaced the rear calipers, that powersteering link, did some warrenty work and replaced a side panel that developed a bubble, washed and vacuumed the car. They did a good job. A+ for them.

The car handles much much better.

The only complaint I have is continued braking noise from the rear brakes, but I have a lot of pad left, so I'll just put up with it. Not my problem really, just a problem for the people crossing the street infront of me scared out of their minds over the Banshee Lexus coming towards them.

2006 GS430 - yes it covers the GS430. 9LB and 9LC.

These service campaigns are listed in the Service Campaign thread. Dunno why this thread is here.