1998 Lexus Es300 2-din Dash Kit?

eclipse

I just recently purchased a '98 Lexus ES300 and was wondering if there were direct-fit 2-DIN dash kits (not needing to be modified) available so that I would be able to purchase a 2 DIN AV Head Unit? I would prefer to get a 2-DIN over a 1-DIN if at all possible. I've seen some kits on ebay and the like, but want to make sure before I make the big purchase.

Thanks in advance.

I think you will find quite a few photos if you search past threads. For example, I did an advanced search (select "more search options") of the 92-06 ES forum for the word "double" and found this one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...5&hl=double

I googled 1998 ES300 photos and found quite a few showing a double DIN head unit -- the attached photo is for a 97 but I think it's the same as for a 98.

As nice as the radio systems in Lexus cars look and operate, I sure wish they had used DIN and double DIN sized radios as they did in their similar Toyota products of the same model years. For example, it would be a "piece of cake" to install a double DIN in our 1998 Camry -- wouldn't even take a new trim surround to replace the existing Toyota/JBL single DIN head unit and pocket underneath it with a double DIN.

post-2157-1232556331_thumb.jpg

I think you will find quite a few photos if you search past threads. For example, I did an advanced search (select "more search options") of the 92-06 ES forum for the word "double" and found this one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...5&hl=double

I googled 1998 ES300 photos and found quite a few showing a double DIN head unit -- the attached photo is for a 97 but I think it's the same as for a 98.

As nice as the radio systems in Lexus cars look and operate, I sure wish they had used DIN and double DIN sized radios as they did in their similar Toyota products of the same model years. For example, it would be a "piece of cake" to install a double DIN in our 1998 Camry -- wouldn't even take a new trim surround to replace the existing Toyota/JBL single DIN head unit and pocket underneath it with a double DIN.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

I just didn't want to do any modding, but it looks like with that kit I might have to. It'd be better to be able to just put the double-din in without having to look for plastic filler pieces. I'm still on the fence as to whether to get a double or single din. If I am able to simply take the double-din dash kit and install it without any other pieces/mods, then that is what I'll do - as I know you can do it that way with a 1-DIN.

I just didn't want to do any modding, but it looks like with that kit I might have to. It'd be better to be able to just put the double-din in without having to look for plastic filler pieces. I'm still on the fence as to whether to get a double or single din. If I am able to simply take the double-din dash kit and install it without any other pieces/mods, then that is what I'll do - as I know you can do it that way with a 1-DIN.

If you want to put a single DIN unit in a double DIN kit, there might be a pocket you could get to go under the single DIN unit. For example, here is a link to a photo in my gallery that shows the OEM single DIN pocket under the OEM single DIN radio in our 98 Camry: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=875 I would guess you could even use a single DIN pocket right out of a Toyota.

You ES owners are damned fortunate that your radio is above your climate controls. Us LS400 owners are kind of screwed in that, if we want to install an LCD based double-DIN in our cars, it either has to be too low in the center stack below the climate controls to be easy to see or it has to have a motorized screen that extends the screen upward high enough to be easy to see but then blocks the climate controls.