Check Vsc, Check Engine, Check Brakes?

Hi, I have an '06 GS-300 with 11k miles on it and this afternoon I got a "Check VSC" on the dashboard display accompanied by a "check engine" icon and what appears to be a "check brakes" icon. Any idea where to start on this other than the dealer? Thanks for your time.

This happened to me in November. See this post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=52869&hl=

It happened again a couple weeks ago...same situation. Filled up with gas, two days later, on came the warning lights. Well, I made an appointment to have them look at it again, and replace the cap, but I needed to fill up with gas in between the time I called and the time of the appointment. It happened to be two days between fill-up and appointment. As I was driving to the dealership, I looked down...and all systems normal. Has not come back again.

I would fill up with fuel and give it a couple days.

--Duckman

Wow I hope it's that simple for me! Thanks for the quick response and out to the garage I go! I'll let you know what I find.

Hi Joey,

The technicians at lexus would just replace the fuel cap and reset it.

which normally works.

however

1. Since you had the check brakes on.

Have you hit a curb or skid your car ? in which case let them inspect your wheels

2. keep your ears attentive for any noise coming from the wheels. when making turns(U) or changing lanes at highway speeds.

In any of the above cases it is recommended to take the tech for a ride and point out

I have not hit any curbs or done other damage to the wheels or suspension that I know of. I took the car into the dealer today and they read the codes. The computer told the techs that the oxygen sensor on bank #1 was bad so they replaced it and the multitude of warnings have not come back.

Regarding the fuel filler cap, it just feels weird to me. I urn it clockwise and will stop after a few clicks thinking the cap's on tight. The weird thing (to me) is that just the slightest pressure counterclockwise is enough to begin the removal of the cap. I seem to remember that it took substantially more than just a feather touch to begin the removal process. What do you all think?

Regarding the fuel filler cap, it just feels weird to me. I urn it clockwise and will stop after a few clicks thinking the cap's on tight. The weird thing (to me) is that just the slightest pressure counterclockwise is enough to begin the removal of the cap. I seem to remember that it took substantially more than just a feather touch to begin the removal process. What do you all think?

I have noticed the same thing with my fuel cap. I have blown it off as a "Maybe I just don't remember how it originally worked" moment, but, if others can confirm that it feels tighter when they remove it, then maybe I should have it replaced. The two times I have had the warning lights come on, I am willing to bet that I am turning the cap clockwise until it clicks...and I always turn it two clicks...but after the second click, I might have twisted just slightly counterclockwise and that is enough to break the seal.

--Duckman

If the gas cap feels funny, I would go ahead and change it. It can't be more than what, $450 or $500 from the dealer? :D

Seriously, you know how the gas cap used to feel...why not get the dealer to replace it under warranty during your next service? It is certainly an emissions item.

My wife would do this on a regular basis with her RX300. I finally bought a code reader so I could check the codes and reset them (one of my best maintenance purchases EVER). Eventually, I got her to count 3 clicks on the cap when she would fill up and it never threw another code.

Besides, my wife and daughter like the refreshments that are available from the local dealer.

Isn't that hilarious? My wife loves taking her RX to the dealer for the same reason...loves the lounge! Lexus is brilliant sometimes.

After shelling close to 50 grand for the Crappy GS

they need a lounge specifically for irate GS owners like me with a complimentary massage and all.

I am driving a loaner car ( RX, ES or IS) at least once a month ( my GS AWD has so many sundry problems), I wonder why the dealers around me never have a GS loaner.

Our 2007 RX AWD is never in the shop except for service funny thing is it gives me the same mileage as the GS and better in winter. Should have brought an other RX.

any takes on my comment are welcome

After shelling close to 50 grand for the Crappy GS

they need a lounge specifically for irate GS owners like me with a complimentary massage and all.

I am driving a loaner car ( RX, ES or IS) at least once a month ( my GS AWD has so many sundry problems), I wonder why the dealers around me never have a GS loaner.

Our 2007 RX AWD is never in the shop except for service funny thing is it gives me the same mileage as the GS and better in winter. Should have brought an other RX.

any takes on my comment are welcome

I owned two RX's prior to my GS...and the same as you...other than standard service appointments, those vehicles were NEVER in the shop. Honestly, I have only had my GS in two times outside of standard service appointments, which sounds like far fewer than you. I really only have one complaint about the GS...the squeaks that you hear about often on this site. I have learned to live with it, not that I should have had to...but I did.

This car performs great. It really is fun to drive in the snow, great to drive in the summer...I honestly love it. I love it even more since getting rid of the run flat tires. Those are not the fault of Lexus, but of Dunlop.

The gas cap thing to me is not a big deal. Maybe it broke because it was -25 degrees out when I clicked it...who knows. They can replace it the next time I take it in for an oil change. Lexus of Wayzata takes good care of me, and I will be back....I'm on Lexus #3 and I don't see myself going anywhere else.

I don't want to take away from your frustrations, but that's just my small take.

--Duckman

The GS has to be a black eye for Lexus. It does not live up to the Lexus stardard as far quality, workmanship and a solid design. I dont think anyone who pay this much for a car should have top put up with a squeaky dashboard, especially when it is cause by a $2 dashboard clip. Performance wise, it is disapointing as well. The ride is too stiff for it's handling, Lexus still have a way to go when it comes to suspension design.

The GS has to be a black eye for Lexus. It does not live up to the Lexus stardard as far quality, workmanship and a solid design. I dont think anyone who pay this much for a car should have top put up with a squeaky dashboard, especially when it is cause by a $2 dashboard clip. Performance wise, it is disapointing as well. The ride is too stiff for it's handling, Lexus still have a way to go when it comes to suspension design.

My worst nightmare has come true again.

Here is what happened.

My wife picked up her friend at the airport ( her husband was at work and could not make it).

the dash started making noises again until she made it to the expressway. She was so embarassed she had to increase the fan speed and also the volume on the radio.

It is getting so annoying and upsetting now. guess she should have taken the RX instead of the GS.

If I trade it now I loose 25 grand straight . my worst investment ever. Its like investing in GMs stock.

My worst nightmare has come true again.

Here is what happened.

My wife picked up her friend at the airport ( her husband was at work and could not make it).

the dash started making noises again until she made it to the expressway. She was so embarassed she had to increase the fan speed and also the volume on the radio.

It is getting so annoying and upsetting now. guess she should have taken the RX instead of the GS.

If I trade it now I loose 25 grand straight . my worst investment ever. Its like investing in GMs stock.

Call me next time, I will pick everyone up at the airport. My GS doesn't rattle or creak at all.

steviej