Traction Control Noise

dcresci

Hi, recently it snowed and during take off or at very slow speeds, my traction control would engage. I am hearing a noise from the rear when it engages, more like a clunking. I only hear the noise at slow speed and in snow. Is this a normal sound that i hear? when cruising and the traction control engages i do not hear anything from the rear.

Unfortunately this is why a lot of owners of older lex's turn the Trac off. The system abruptly applies the brakes and backs off the throttle at the same time. Quite unsophisticated for Lexus, where the pursuit of perfection supposedly lets you dream your way down the highway in sublime smoothness. Until you hit that patch of ice that is.

well i'll tell you one thing that traction control saved my car from being totalled...i was stupid enough to let my cousin drive my car home one night so i could eat some fast food we just got...and he went to accelerate and totally slipped on snow and ice and slush and was heading sideways directly for a pole and the TRAC came on and backed off the gas and applied the brakes by itself and the car straightend out and we were able to avoid the pole / ditch....so im glad i have it even though sometimes it makes grumpy noises. :lol:

well i'll tell you one thing that traction control saved my car from being totalled...i was stupid enough to let my cousin drive my car home one night so i could eat some fast food we just got...and he went to accelerate and totally slipped on snow and ice and slush and was heading sideways directly for a pole and the TRAC came on and backed off the gas and applied the brakes by itself and the car straightend out and we were able to avoid the pole / ditch....so im glad i have it even though sometimes it makes grumpy noises. :lol:

Hey Lexsc, I'm glad it worked for you. :cheers: Better "grumpy" than banged up. Nevertheless, I think a lot of drivers have learned how to feather the throttle instead of relying on the Trac control and alleviating a lot of stress on the drivetrain. Don't think I'd want it kicking in on a regular basis.

To go with the thread, and admitted I did not search, but is there any way to disable ABS in our cars?

We got a bit of sleet tonight and while my driving was going well the ABS locked up at random and I almost trashed my car.

Like others have said, QUIIIIIIIIIIIIITE unsophisticated for a Lexus, in that my careful driving almost wrecked due to a *safety* feature, but I'd rather trust myself over a car's unpredictable electronic management.

Any way to disable?

I always say, if you don't know how to drive, rely on technology, even if it is unsophisticated.

Learn to slide, drive and control. I should really teach a course.