Climate Control

Vandal

So, it is winter time and my climate control in my 94 Sc400 isn't working to well. Sometimes there is heat, but then there isn't . Even the auto mode isn't working. My first inclination is the thermostat on the engine, but intermitent heating during a single trip in the car suggests that it could be a problem with the sensor for climate control. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks

Dave

So, it is winter time and my climate control in my 94 Sc400 isn't working to well. Sometimes there is heat, but then there isn't . Even the auto mode isn't working. My first inclination is the thermostat on the engine, but intermitent heating during a single trip in the car suggests that it could be a problem with the sensor for climate control. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks

Dave

Change the themostat. Trust me.

Thanks

Dave

Change the themostat. Trust me.

Hi Sean

Will do. Thanks for the thrust in one direction.

Dave

Not sure if it will help, but something to keep in mind..

the heat operates via a heat exchanger (heater core) from the engine coolant. if there is a coolant 'vacuum' or void in the heater core, the heat exchange is severely limited. i've seen situations before where during a coolant fill the system (especially the heater core loop) is not completely filled with coolant before the system is pressurized (most often because the heat wasn't on during the coolant fill). try removing the coolant pressure cap (while the car is cool and not running), then starting the car and turning the heater to its highest setting. let the car warm up to operating temp (the thermostat MUST open) and make sure that the cooling system is completely filled. don't know if your model has a bleeder or not. once you think you've gotten the system completely filled, let the car cool down and repeat the entire procedure. the idea here is to remove any and all air from the coolant system.

if this does not help, you're looking at something else. you could have a thermostat that is sticking intermittently (though that's a bit iffy; if it was sticky you would probably see an overheat issue), or you could have a water pump with worn fins that simply won't pump as much water as it used to.

good luck!