I Am So Sick Of This On Going Problem

ok well this is not the first time i have posted of this problem...in the mean time people have given thoughts and ideas, but the problem has so far not gotten any better...it seems as if the mechanics in my area consider working on an SC brain surgery because nobody can do it...they either mis diagnose it, CANT diagnose it, or fix the total wrong thing. im so sick of it ! im ready to go in for the dirty work myself !!!!

ok heres the symptoms: ENGINE MISFIRE!! under light acceleration in 2nd gear (99.9% 2nd gear)

when going up hills, engine misfires like crazy...but not on every straight away..but on EVERY hill.

at the 40 mph range, in the TALL overdrive gear of an automatic, if you step on the pedal to accelerate, the engine seems to vibrate and shake and rumble alllll over the place to the point where it could knock a drink over.... :(

however, under heavy and by heavy i mean HEAVY acceleration, none of this happens...it will fly up hills and cruise past 40 mph range with nothing...but i cannot drive like this on a daily basis if i want my car to last...

next, i am HAPPY to get 10mpg on average per week....and i smell gas extremely badly on first start up, and whenever i come to a red light...and i have a lot of exhaust constantly flowin out of the back like when its cold out...that kind of exhaust..not any color or solid white smoke, but just the cold engine smoke that constantly pours out even when the engine is at mid temperature...now the last time a stupid moronic mechanic decided to work on my car, they told me it was a head gasket which its obviously not cause it runs fine most of the time..and what they did was replace ignition wires and ignition rotors n caps and the housing that covers this part...i have a feeling this is the problem since i got 21 mpg before i was stupid enough to let a mechanic touch my baby... :angry:

i want to tear it apart and go at it myself...so can someone PLEASE tell me what i should be looking for? what would a problem look like? what would a perfectly installed wire and cap n rotor installation look like....thanks anybody who knows what they are talking about...cause obviously the mechanics in MA havent a damn clue...

i am by no means an expert, but from what you describe, this problem sounds alot like what my father experienced on a 7 series BMW a few years back. he replaced the cats, and all the problems were fixed. I can not say for sure that this is your problem, however like i said it sounds like the same problem my father had and the cats were the cause.

maybe if you hear this a few times you might wana take it into consideration, but dont go droping the money on new cats just because of what i say.

good luck

Sounds like the white smoke is mainly water vapor, it's all part of that unleaded fuel ~ cat converter thing. I gotta wonder about that "heavy fuel odor" you mentioned. Do you get the fuel odor even when the engine is up to running temp?

yup...absolutely..everytime i have to come to a stop i and everyone in the car can smell the gas vapor being sucked in from outside by the climate control and if the windows are open you can smell it...its horrible :(

and once it starts to misfire, it will do it for about another 30 seconds...just driving straight and misfiring like crazy...like i said i cannot deal with this anymore...this car was running absolutely beautiful before these stupid (fill in the blank) mechanics totally screwed it up... :(

here is what i think they did...i think they did the ignition wires or rotors and caps poooorly...something must be wrong because that is all they tried to do and now my car runs like it has a disease...

Ok ....couple ideas here.....

Firing order, are all the plug wires in their proper terminal?

Are all the spark plug wires firmly seated in each terminal?

Are the tiny wires leading from the ignition pick~up damaged? Is the Ignition pick~up plugged in tightly? I ask this because I had to remove both the upper + middle cam belt covers to replace my caps, which involved unpluging the ignition pick~up, so if you mechanic wasnt careful when routing the pick~up wires, they could be rubbing the cam belt or pinched and shorting, or just as simple as a plug in slightly askew.

• 2 weeks later...
ok well this is not the first time i have posted of this problem...in the mean time people have given thoughts and ideas, but the problem has so far not gotten any better...it seems as if the mechanics in my area consider working on an SC brain surgery because nobody can do it...they either mis diagnose it, CANT diagnose it, or fix the total wrong thing. im so sick of it ! im ready to go in for the dirty work myself !!!!

ok heres the symptoms: ENGINE MISFIRE!! under light acceleration in 2nd gear (99.9% 2nd gear)

when going up hills, engine misfires like crazy...but not on every straight away..but on EVERY hill.

at the 40 mph range, in the TALL overdrive gear of an automatic, if you step on the pedal to accelerate, the engine seems to vibrate and shake and rumble alllll over the place to the point where it could knock a drink over.... :(

however, under heavy and by heavy i mean HEAVY acceleration, none of this happens...it will fly up hills and cruise past 40 mph range with nothing...but i cannot drive like this on a daily basis if i want my car to last...

next, i am HAPPY to get 10mpg on average per week....and i smell gas extremely badly on first start up, and whenever i come to a red light...and i have a lot of exhaust constantly flowin out of the back like when its cold out...that kind of exhaust..not any color or solid white smoke, but just the cold engine smoke that constantly pours out even when the engine is at mid temperature...now the last time a stupid moronic mechanic decided to work on my car, they told me it was a head gasket which its obviously not cause it runs fine most of the time..and what they did was replace ignition wires and ignition rotors n caps and the housing that covers this part...i have a feeling this is the problem since i got 21 mpg before i was stupid enough to let a mechanic touch my baby... :angry:

i want to tear it apart and go at it myself...so can someone PLEASE tell me what i should be looking for? what would a problem look like? what would a perfectly installed wire and cap n rotor installation look like....thanks anybody who knows what they are talking about...cause obviously the mechanics in MA havent a damn clue...

LexSC400328 I can understand your issues, I had the same problem with my ls400. I had huge plumes of smoke coming out of the car and it smelled like fuel.

Here is how i troubleshooted the probelm.

a) sometime's the check engine light burns out. If you have/do not have a Check engine light, still plug a reader to make sure there are no codes. if there

are codes then act accordingly.

B) Check for issues with the ignition system(spark plug, wires, coils etc) IF ISSUE NOT RESOLVED then

c) Check your Engine Brain box or ECU, Open ECU, Check for Capacitor Damage, Leaking capacitors are known to Corrode/Short the circuit board. If ECU is

Damaged, Replace/Fix ECU. IF ISSUE NOT RESOLVED then

d) Check for issue with the fuel injectors, bad faulty injectors can dump fuel into the Engine, causing symptoms similar to misfire. IF ISSUE NOT RESOLVED

then

e) Check for issue with the electrical system (harness to be specific) as a last Resort.

my issue was the ECU, The board was badly corroded by the leaking capacitors and I beleive this effected the injectors. I got a secound hand unit from

a salvage yard, it cost me about $180. my car was purring like a kitten once i replaced the unit.

Please do not drive the car till the issue is fixed, It can cause damage to the engine and Excessive Fuel can cause damage your cats. resulting in several $$$$.

I hope I have given you some usefull advice to troubleshoot. Let us know if your issue gets resolved. Best of Luck -- Tan