Toasted Transmission On Rx 300

bochik

my wifes 2001 rx 300 FWD is going to need a transmission, it has 150,000 miles on it, lexus quoted 4500.00 on it, just wondering, if i do it myself, does transmission come out top, bottom, or pull engine and trans as one unit, then separate?

my wifes 2001 rx 300 FWD is going to need a transmission, it has 150,000 miles on it, lexus quoted 4500.00 on it, just wondering, if i do it myself, does transmission come out top, bottom, or pull engine and trans as one unit, then separate?

The trans. comes out the bottom but you have to drop the front crossmember (cradle), at least on the drivers side, if not completely and suspend the engine (more than 1 way to do it). Do you mean overhaul the trans. yourself or just R&R it yourself? I have had the complete front drive assy. out and unless you're a glutton for punishment, I would look around for a good Mom & Pop independent trans. shop that is used to doing Toyota trans.'s and has a reputation for being good at it. Shouldn't cost you more than half what Lexus wanted. If you R&R it yourself be sure that you know what you're doing when you put the torque converter back in. I've known a few guys who cost themselves a whole lot more than they saved because of not getting the TC to slip ALL the way onto the splines (it can be a little bit tough), and really tearing things up. Good Luck!

thanks code, yeah last night i stumbled across some of lexus repair manual someone had on this website and it looked rather involved, i havent made up my mind yet, lexus rep is supposed to get back with me within 2 business days to advise me if they will pick up part of the cost. From what ive seen the last couple of days online, the u140e transmission gives a lot of trouble. I have had all service done on it, but it has lost pressure and destroyed clutch pack now. thanks for your help