1997 Es300 Trans Fluid Type/change

I just purchased a beautiful 1997 lexus es300 w/ 73k on it from the original owner. i am used to doing as much of my own work as possible, i read in the manual that dexron 3 is recommended and i read online that toyota type IV is the only fluid to use? im confused and want to use the best possible fluid. if you can tell me and if anyone has any other advice for this procedure it would be greatly appreciated. i also called the toyota dealer and the parts guy didnt seem to know, he also said after i asked, that he never heard of the trans filters being changed, is this true? because ive always changed mine on my other vehicles.

I just purchased a beautiful 1997 lexus es300 w/ 73k on it from the original owner. i am used to doing as much of my own work as possible, i read in the manual that dexron 3 is recommended and i read online that toyota type IV is the only fluid to use? im confused and want to use the best possible fluid. if you can tell me and if anyone has any other advice for this procedure it would be greatly appreciated. i also called the toyota dealer and the parts guy didnt seem to know, he also said after i asked, that he never heard of the trans filters being changed, is this true? because ive always changed mine on my other vehicles.

in a 1997, Toyota T-IV or Royal Purple MAX-ATF are the ONLY fluids that should be used.

I would just stick to whatever the owners manual recommends... I used Toyota ATF-IV in my 2000 v6 solara before assuming that it was the correct fluid and it wasn't... nothing bad happened to the car but the car did seem to shift smoother with the recommend fluid.