Found Sc300 To Buy. Need Advice On Price!

Hey guys, this is my first post. I am planning to get myself a sc300 for my next car. I found a 95 with 63.5k miles for 14,000$. Is that a decent price? it's a manual. I plan to eventually drop in a 2jzgte but for now i just want a reliable driving car. Any advice for a newb? Should i just go for a cheaper higher mileage sc300 and drop in the engine?

Thanks for all the advice!

I think it's a little over priced. I would ask around $9k and move upwards. Before you buy it, take it to Lexus and ask them to give you a complete Pre-owned certification check-up / w repair prices. Also, you personally should check out for oil leaks underneath the cars. look for the factory stickers underneathe the hood. If they're not there, the car's been in an accident. Definitely look for overspray in odd locations. Look at the paint, and look for major flaws--like swirl marks, dings and dents. Remember, if there's a dent in one of the curved areas, it will cost you about a grand to fix it.

If there are a lot of problems drop your price down to $7k and move upwards. Because you have list of problems and prices, show them the list and slowly move upwards. I would cut-off communication around $12,500 for the ideal used car.

good luck

Thanks A LOT for the advice, i really appreciate it! i will definitely have it checked at a dealer! thanks again!

oh, one thing. it probably depends where u go but what is the estimate of a complete certified check up of a sc300?

I paid $175 here in the DC Metro Area. I've heard dealers in Texas charging $200-250 for this service, but I like to think of it as a piece of mind.

Good luck.

found a 95 with 63.5k miles for 14,000$. Is that a decent price? it's a manual. I plan to eventually drop in a 2jzgte but for now i just want a reliable driving car. Any advice for a newb? Should i just go for a cheaper higher mileage sc300 and drop in the engine?

You're asking a great question. The answer is how soon do you go tt? If you save the money buying a high mileage engine/car and get to do your swap that much sooner, then make sure the car is sound like USF3 is saying, with little concern over engine, its going away anyway.

My advice is find a high mileage car and get going on the 2jz-gte if that's your real goal. The counter point is a '95- 5 speed with 63.5 k is a sweet find and will serve you well for another 100k miles. It is also a great find to go single turbo on a young, low mileage 2jz-ge engine and come out the same or a little better than a 2jz-gte. You've got the obd-1 that will make things easier. I think the costs are about the same. About $7-9k depending on where you draw the lines and labor. Of course you are going to be adding to that over time with wheels, brakes, the ever present TT 6-speed, electronics, FMIC, etc. But that's not where you start.

I bought a flawless, 2 owner, dealer records, '94 5-speed about 4 years ago at 70,800 ($17,100 :o sure depreciated!) that was just off the Lexus certified program. Trouble free, replaced starter, $210.

PM or email if you have other questions.

I get the feeling Psychowu46 isn't interested in modifying the car like we are. Most people on our forum like to maintain their cars by getting some advice, and perhaps add some cheap easy mods. Nothing fancy, just to let the car breath a little better.