99 Es300 Mass Air Flow Sensor

amnesffxi

Check engine light came on and I took it to the autozone to get scanned. They said it was either the O2 sensors or the catalytic converter that would need replacing.

I then took it to Firestone and they scanned it and told me that I would have to the replace the airflow sensor and the O2 sensor. I forgot what bank or sensor it was.

They quoted me totally to replace everything to be $1200. $300 for air flow sensor, $300 for labor for air flow sensor, $300 for O2 sensor and another $300 for labor for O2 sensor. But then they tried to cut me a deal and would take off the labor for the O2 sensor and would only charge me $900.

I told them I'd consider it and tried to leave but then they told me that I should do it as soon as possible and the the best thing to do was at least replace the air flow sensor. They said that sometimes its because of a bad air flow sensor that affects the computer into thinking the O2 sensor is bad. So then I left.

I looked up the sensors online and found out I could get them at much less prices and the repair work for just the air flow sensor alone would not equal up to an hour.

But I still don't know where exactly I should get these and the lowest prices and exactly the steps on how to replace them.

The most I've done so far is opened the hood and found where the air flow sensor was.

Can anyone also tell me what are the consequences when driving with a bad air flow or o2 sensor?

Check engine light came on and I took it to the autozone to get scanned. They said it was either the O2 sensors or the catalytic converter that would need replacing.

I then took it to Firestone and they scanned it and told me that I would have to the replace the airflow sensor and the O2 sensor. I forgot what bank or sensor it was.

They quoted me totally to replace everything to be $1200. $300 for air flow sensor, $300 for labor for air flow sensor, $300 for O2 sensor and another $300 for labor for O2 sensor. But then they tried to cut me a deal and would take off the labor for the O2 sensor and would only charge me $900.

I told them I'd consider it and tried to leave but then they told me that I should do it as soon as possible and the the best thing to do was at least replace the air flow sensor. They said that sometimes its because of a bad air flow sensor that affects the computer into thinking the O2 sensor is bad. So then I left.

I looked up the sensors online and found out I could get them at much less prices and the repair work for just the air flow sensor alone would not equal up to an hour.

But I still don't know where exactly I should get these and the lowest prices and exactly the steps on how to replace them.

The most I've done so far is opened the hood and found where the air flow sensor was.

Can anyone also tell me what are the consequences when driving with a bad air flow or o2 sensor?

First of all, DO NOT GO TO THE PLACE YOU ARE DESCRIBING. THEY ARE BADLY RIPPING YOU OFF. I had my O2 sensors( all of them) and Mass air flow sensors replaced for less than $400. It takes about 5 minutes to replace these(their intent is to deceive you with the labor). Secondly, get the DENSO O2 sensors and DENSO mass air flow sensor. Denso is the best company and the recommended one for lexus. They are relatively cheaper than many and are the best quality out their. If I remember right, one cost about 100-150, depending on the sensor. The worst that can happen while driving with a bad air flow or O2 sensor is that your car will eat gas like its free, and overtime it will effect other parts of the car like the catalytic converter and possibly the engine. I would definitely recommend you to get these replaced. You will know the big difference and will save money on fuel, and prevent any further damages to your car which will come with a pricey tag. The place you described, again are trying to rip you off. Go around and get some quotes and then choose the best and cheapest place. Again, it should not cost more than 300 for all the sensors to be replaced. I had all of mine sensors replaced for less than 400, and you need only 2 of them to be replaced. Good luck! Let me know for further assistance.

So I'm looking under the hood and I see the air flow sensor. So I just unplug the wires clip from it, undo the two screws, pull out the sensor and put the new one back in with the screws and clip plug? Is there anything else I should do, like spray some kind of cleanser on the new sensor? Or replace a filter or something?

And what are other brands out there that are low cost?

I also noticed that from the last scan at Firezone, I have driven about 100 miles and the check engine light has not come on yet. Shouldn't it come on right away or something?

So I'm looking under the hood and I see the air flow sensor. So I just unplug the wires clip from it, undo the two screws, pull out the sensor and put the new one back in with the screws and clip plug? Is there anything else I should do, like spray some kind of cleanser on the new sensor? Or replace a filter or something?

I got this code P0171 may mean that, The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. I bought a MaF sensor Cleaner $5 then unplug the sensor and unscrew (2) sprayed and replaced air filter. Reset code that was the end. Sometime the silicone potting material on the MAF sensor that used to protect the circuitry could leak unto the area. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with the MAF cleaner not brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling. In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. At this point what was the OBD II code?

• 1 month later...

I found an used airflow sensor off a salvage lexus on ebay that was under 35k miles. I changed the old one but the check engine light is still on. What should I do now? Do they charge to clear the check engine code? Should I also get a engine tune-up just in case?

And what are other brands out there that are low cost?

I also noticed that from the last scan at Firezone, I have driven about 100 miles and the check engine light has not come on yet. Shouldn't it come on right away or something?

Did you clean the used sensor? Also you need to clear the codes. And did you check the hoses under the air filter box to make sure they arent unhooked.??/

First, I would try cleaning the mass air flow sensor with crc maf sensor cleaner (auto parts stores have it) Use this procedure..

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...id=152&c=11

Unhook the battery for 10 minutes and hook back up and try running the car. this will clear the codes and start fresh...If it doesnt work than read the codes and report back.

• 10 years later...