Es 300 Coolant Leak

Hey, all

I have a 1994 Lexus ES 300 and it is leaking quite a bit of coolant. I just changed the oil and I did not see any sign of coolant in the oil, which leads me to believe it's not the head. I have looked everywhere for this leak and can't find it. It is leaking on the pass. side just inside the RF tire. Also when the car is cold the water system gurgles a bit leading me to infer that there is air in it. The heat was recently blowing cold but I don't think it's the thermostat, It was probably due to being low on coolant, when I topped it off it worked. I was wondering if anyone knows of a specific location where these things are prone to failure or leakage. I thank you in advance for your advice and good day :)

Ben

I dont know how similiar your engine is to my RX300, but I was experiencing leaking on the intake manifold between the two cylinder heads. look carefully in that area for dried residue, possibly under the thermostat housing.... good luck...

If the expansion tank is overflowing, that is where the coolant falls to the ground, directly underneath.. Before you move on to the heater prob, you must resolve the coolant loss issue.

Have the system pressure tested, this will find any leak. Use a 50/50 coolant water mix and top up. I believe there may be an airlock in the system and you must top up after every cooling off period untill it stays at a full level. This is a simple fix if it is an airlock problem.

If the expansion tank is overflowing, that is where the coolant falls to the ground, directly underneath.. Before you move on to the heater prob, you must resolve the coolant loss issue.

Have the system pressure tested, this will find any leak. Use a 50/50 coolant water mix and top up. I believe there may be an airlock in the system and you must top up after every cooling off period untill it stays at a full level. This is a simple fix if it is an airlock problem.

I agree. From what I've learned, the second gen. ES is pretty prone to airlocks. After I had my timing belt replaced, it seemed to take FOREVER to get all the air out of the cooling system.

• 10 years later...

I have a 02 lexus es300 it leaked all the coolant out which car showed no signs of anything wrong water pump is still good I cant find anything to show me why or how to fix it I think its the hose that is on manifold called mystery coolant line anyone know anything bout this