Hid Replacement Bulbs

I have a '98 GS400 with factory HID and my right headlight turned a purple color for a couple days and then went out. I went to the dealer and they wanted $402 just for the bulb. Does anyone know the OEM manufacturer for the '98 HID D2R bulbs, so I can buy it online and match the other headlight? Also, how difficult is it to replace the bulb myself? Has anyone dealt with this before?

wow 402 dollars sounds crazy!they might of made a mistake on the price.oem hid for your car is Osram i beleive.ebay probably got them for like 100 a bulb.check around though of course for the best price.

as for replacing the bulb its very easy just plug and play!nothing hard about it really. :D

hope this helps!

I placed a similar post about a month ago and it disappeared. I took my GS400 to Lexus for an oil change and said by the way change my headlight bulb that was out. When I went to pick the car up the service person said he was sorry and told me it would cost over $400 to replace and asked me if I still wanted it or should they take it out. I told them to take it out and eventually had them replace it because I couldn't find on on my own. Two days later I took it back in because I noticed the new light was yellow not white/blue and it did not match the original (remaining) light. They told me that when the lights get older they yellow.....hmmm..... I might believe that but the yellow one is the one they just replaced for $400+!!! They didn't believe me until I showed them the receipt and the still wanted to look it up in their records.

After a wise crack from the service person asking what I wanted them to do about it and I almost blew a gasket they finally replaced the bulb again (they said they replaced both but I don't believe them). Magically they were both the same color. You bet your *** for $400 for a bulb it better be right. When I bought my Lexus I thought the Lexus service should be head and shoulders above the rest but it seems about the same, just overpriced.

Anyway I eventually did find out that you can order it from Sylvania (Osram) but it's $165 and I actually had to email someone there to get the quote because it showed on the website but you could not actually order it there.

One of the HID bulbs turned purple on my '98 GS as well. The bulb is an Osram-Sylvania bulb. It should be part number 9098120001 and retails for #321.07 at the dealer (for a '98). These things are supposed to last the life of my car!! Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Warranty would not replace though. "Bulbs aren't covered." I could never find the exact bulb online...Believe me I searched. I finally found a friend that had a '01 GS300 that was involved in a fender bender that required replacing the headlamp assembly. I bought his old one from him and swapped the bulbs. You can do it yourself but be careful, these bulbs require 22,000 volts to get them lit. :o Yes, TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND VOLTS!! Be sure you disconnect the wiring harnesses and you should be fine. Be sure you never allow the glass lens of the bulb to touch your skin. Oils from your skin will cause the lamp to fail. If you can't find the exact replacement I would suggest buying a pair of aftermarket D2R bulbs and replacing them both so that the color temperature (color) match. Watch out since some with color temperatures in the 6500K-7500K range can be really purple looking.

was just looking through these posts and ran into a problem with one of my bulbs tonight. i did find a two websites that have these, at least for a 98 ls400. this is part Philips D2R 85126. they are...

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/d2rcentre.htm $144

and

http://www.xenonvalot.com/orderform.html $77us 70euro

hope this helps.

when yours went out, if you turned them off and on right away, did you get a little burn time before the bad light went out again? i would hate to spend $77 on a bulb to find out it is the wiring.

email me if you would. justin_hadler@yahoo.com