What Can You Tell Me About An Ls430?

silly_me

Come on guys, is this a joke?

Prolly a bored monitor playing with the regulars. . .

Noticed the typo in the original posters "Location"...is the missing "G" accidental or "on purpose"?

Surprised that SillyMe hadn't taken a Test Drive to see for himself.

i don't know too much about technical aspects, but hands down this is the best car i've ever owned. it does everything it's supposed to do in a fashion far superior to any car i've owned or driven. i plan on having this car for years to come and believe that i will have nothing more to do other than routine maintenance. take the plunge...you won't regret it! :)

Hello, I just bought a 2001 LS430 ultra on march 9 2010. my research convinced me that the J-8,BMW, OR benez cannot touch it. negative car is hard on tires, so get excellent tires,it does have a timing belt which has to be changed at 90,000 miles and on the mark levinson stereo system the rear woofer is easy to blow and Lexus charges $400.00 for one. I read a lot of reviews and it is the best car for the money on the road.I recommend buying the ultra-package car you will be glad you did.

I am also thinking of buying a used LS430. But there is a knocking sound at low rev and I am worried about the cause of it. How can I determine that it is not a major issue?

thank you

• 2 years later...

From back in time I'm back!

And while during my original search I didn't find an LS that satisfied my needs (they were all rough, like the previous owners carted around hordes of little ankle biter dogs with sharp little claws and sharp little yapping teeth tearing up the leather and peeing on the upholstery) and I ended up with something else, however I find myself in a possible situation where I shall once again need to purchase another vehicle and I find myself once again drawn to the 04-06 LS430 :D

And re-reading this thread certainly provided me with several answers to questions I had forgotten that I had asked, I still have some lingering concerns that I'd like to ask you folks before I head out and start kicking tyres.

1) right now I'm picture shopping from the internet before I decide where to go to look, so how can I tell if a) the car has the air springs? B) the car has the keyless go option, c) if the car has the 'ultra luxury' package? IIRC that has the air springs no?

2) do these cars need a valve job at 60k miles?

3) do the 6 speed transmission need servicing? I know that my car is 'sealed for life' but the consensus is to change out the fluid. Also, above it is noted that there were some issues for 2004, what were they and how are they addressed?

4) would it be more prudent to jump on a really low mile example (old fogey owned and never driven) or a high mileage highway one that was under constant use?

Thanks again in advance!

Welcome back!

1) right now I'm picture shopping from the internet before I decide where to go to look, so how can I tell if a) the car has the air springs? B) the car has the keyless go option, c) if the car has the 'ultra luxury' package? IIRC that has the air springs no?

If it has the UL package it will have a leather stitched lower dash and console as well as rear seat climate controls. Thats the only car that has the air suspension. It will also have a button above the shifter for ride height.

2) do these cars need a valve job at 60k miles?

No...my Dad had a 98 and an 04, the 98 had approaching 200k miles, and the 04 over 100 and neither ever had any sort of engine repair.

3) do the 6 speed transmission need servicing? I know that my car is 'sealed for life' but the consensus is to change out the fluid. Also, above it is noted that there were some issues for 2004, what were they and how are they addressed?

Regular drain and fills...

4) would it be more prudent to jump on a really low mile example (old fogey owned and never driven) or a high mileage highway one that was under constant use?

I'd always choose the low mileage car...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I bought a 2006 LS 430 about 5 months ago and I love it. I have previously owned a '98 ES250 and a '02 GS 300. I have really enjoyed all of these Lexus's (or is it Lexi??). I looked for many months to specifically find a 2006 LS430 with under 50K miles. I live in Indiana and I found very few of them within 500 miles of my house. I eventually found a CPO one in Cincinnati, OH and called the dealer and made an appointment to see it right away. For some reason, I suspect because people love them or they drive them alot, it is hard to find that many used LS 430s, with lower mileage.

After driving many cars over my 40 years of driving, I am more pleased with this car than any other new car I have leased and/or purchased. I plan on driving this car into retirement (200K+ miles) and according to my experience with Lexus this should be a no brainer. It is true that maintenance is more expensive than the average car, but then you have to go in less, so that makes up for it, since my time is worth money. Like it was stated in a previous post....there is no need to go to a Lexus dealership for maintenance. Just find yourself a good local mechanic and get it serviced regularly. If you look at the maintenance schedule, with the exception of the timing belt at 90K miles, most of the services are oil & filter and air filter changes (perhaps a tranny or coolant service) and lots of INSPECTIONS.

My older brother owned a '98 LS400 and drove it for 10 years. He then sold it to my son, who is in the Air Force, with 119K miles on it back in 2008. My son has driven it for 4 1/2 years with it currently reading around 180K. Neither one of them actually take care of their cars like I do and yet this thing refuses to stop running. Earlier this year, this poor LS400 was the victim of a hail storm and took a serious beating. However he continues to drive this car and plans on doing so until it is no longer reliable, It has never broken down and only had routine maintenance done on it !!

Once my older brother sold his '98 LS400 to my son he bought himself a 2008 LS460L. I can tell you right now that he wishes he could get back his LS400 or a good LS430, because he likes the ride and handling of the older versions better.

I guess IMHO if you want a cushy ride with lots of bells and whistes and a reliabilty rating through the roof.........buy an LS 430. If you want a sports car and you like your mechanic, DON'T !! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Let me just say this; I had a choice between the LS460 2009-20 or the LS430 2006. I went with thte LS430! A more quieter engine, very reliable, transmission issues are unheard of! I testdrove the new Jag a still i went with the LS430.

You just need to drive both cars the same way. Research the dealer that will be servicing your baby and do a side by side comparison; then make your selection. We are LS430 owners and a little bias. But we have been driving these machines for some time now and now our Lexus'.

After six months of driving your LS430, you will discover something new that you did not know this car could do.

Starbury

• 2 years later...

Hi

I'm new member of Lexusownersclub and i'm maybe looking to buy Lexus LS430 pre 2005. So I've couple questions and I didn't see necessary to open new topic so I ask here.

I'm from Finland so every LS430 I've seen in sale are President models, same as yours Ultra Luxury, so all have air suspension.

First question. Because repairing air suspension is atleast 1000$/€ per corner, is there any chance to repair the air strut assembly or some part of it or will it always require a whole new air strut? I'm just thinking is there some part that usually fails and it could be fixed.

Second question, is there some mileage where some repairs usually accours or should be done? I know timing belt interval, but like when typically air suspension fails or other suspension parts or drivetrain mounts. LS430s i've been looking for have between 90 000 and 110 000 miles, so should some repairs already be done or will something have to be done in near future.

I've read that engine and transmission are very realiable and I think there are very few faults overall. Nothing so consistent like LS400's power steering pump leak.

Sorry for my English

-Aleksi

Your English is perfect.

Strutmasters sells air suspension parts and kits to convert to steel spring suspension and it appears that they ship internationally: http://www.strutmasters.com/suspension-parts/lexus/lexus-ls-430/

Here is another company: http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lexus-LS430-suspension.php

I don't know if the power steering pump on the early LS430 is any more reliable than those on the late LS400. The 1990 LS400 that I bought 25 years ago had at least five new or rebuilt power steering pumps during the 13 years I owned it but my 2000 LS400 required only one new/rebuilt power steering pump during the ten years I owned it.

The LS430 seems to be at least as reliable as the 1998-2000 LS400. A fairly common problem in the LS430 Ultra Luxury is damage to the rear seat controls in the armrest when liquid is spilled. Another problem that I have seen reported several times is failure of the double-pane side windows where the windows become cloudy when a seal fails.

Thanks for responding!

I just read topic here where someone had done conversation to coil springs and was very pleased with the result. That certainly is one option. In your links, btw thank you for those, prices are very reasonable both conversation kits and remanufactured struts. It's good to know which company makes these because I don't trust buying used parts in things like air suspension and ebay is full of used air struts. That isn't really long lasting solution in my opinion.

That was totally new for me that power steering pumps still can leak on these, but now I know what to look for and changing pump can be dealt quite easily.

One more question. Is there any rust issues? All cars will get salt baths here at every winter and being 10+ year old car that can be problem if car rusts easily. Especially because we have annual quite detailed safety inspections on cars.

-Aleksi

One more question. Is there any rust issues? All cars will get salt baths here at every winter and being 10+ year old car that can be problem if car rusts easily. Especially because we have annual quite detailed safety inspections on cars.

How much a vehicle rusts seems to depend on location and the type of salt compound used. We barely get 20 inches of snow per year where I live and the salt compound used here is not as caustic as that used in other locations. I saw a 2001-2003 LS430 in a parking lot this afternoon and it had no visible rust.

I wouldn't be too worried about rust. Most modern cars don't have rust issues; and the LS has rubberized paint; plastic lower panels etc to mitigate any stone damage that would result in the metal being exposed. The only thing I would think would be concerned about (and the only thing I've seen rust on a Lexus from) is improper repair of collision damage. I still see 20+ year old LS cars occasionally in the Northeast US; which has pretty brutal winters.

My mechanic and I did some digging and we believe the power steering pump leakage issue is no longer a concern on the LS430; I think the position of the pump vs alternator has changed; he's never heard of it leaking on an LS430.

The air struts combine the air spring and shock absorber in one unit; so if either one goes the whole thing has to be replaced. The components aren't available separately so a DIY rebuild would be pretty hard.

Good find on the Suncore industries rebuilt struts Jim; there was another company in Florida that people had complained had horrible customer service.

Another option is to just order the struts and coil springs from the dealer; Sewell here in Texas used to sell a kit that had all the sport suspension bits (which they claimed was a better match for the characteristics of the air ride). It might cost more in labor to install those bits however; the conversion kits usually come pre-assembled and have pre-compressed springs for easy installation.

Aside from the air ride though these cars are pretty solid. My LS430 turns 15 next March and (knock on wood) I haven't had anything seriously blow up with air springs or any of the electronics (and it's a UL model). At around 100k miles I had a couple oxygen sensors go out; also the motor mounts will need replacing around that time; and spark plugs. If the car isn't driven much the valve cover seals will occasionally leak. That's about it. Nothing too exotic (google Mercedes Airmatic suspension to read some horror stories of W220 issues from similar age cars). I don't think anything in the maintenance history is above and beyond what a Camry or Avalon would have had done at similar mileage. At 115k miles the car still runs like a Swiss watch. Someone recently asked me how I liked my 'new' Lexus. They were shocked when I told them how old it was.

Make sure you test all the electronic bits (there are quite a few). Parts may be available on eBay for some stuff (like the rear seat controls); and these cars aren't that hard to work on so DIY for a lot of common issues is an option (see this and the other forum).

There is now an LS400 with about 900k miles making the rounds on youtube; I can't tell if it's the original engine and transmission but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. The drivetrain on these cars seems to be almost indestructible with regular maintenance..

Thank you jainla for very infomative respond.

I haven't seen L430 on sale that had visible rust but I just thought if there is some hidden problem spots. It's good to hear there isn't any. It feels like these are better build than other cars :D

I'm not too worried about power steering pump leak, especially if alternator is not underneath the pump. And I believe your and your mechanic's experiences can be extend to all LS430s.

Air suspension is not huge problem to me even it would break, now I know where I can get new or remanufactured air struts and know how much not OEM will cost . I just thought it would be a single most expensive repair to have.

I don't really need a new car but I've dreamed to step one class up (I drive 2002 Volvo S80). I have done some research on 7-series, S-class, A8 and LS430, and LS430 is really starting to grow in me, particularly when reading Germans problems and repair bills! 7-series is full all kind of weird stuff especially before 2005 facelift. S-class, like you jainla said, is also problematic and has it own class of cost of ownership. A8 was my favorite choice from germany and I have only heard good from my friend who has driven his 2004 A8 over 4 years. But when I tried his Audi couple weeks ago I wasn't satisfied. It sure is nice fast car and looks still fresh but it didn't feel like top of the line to me. It felt like stretched A4 with some extra gadgets. It was kinda too sporty even suspension on comfort setting and definitely too loud. Quattro was really nice I have to admit that.

I'm going to test drive this week Lexus LS430 and I hope it proves to be as smooth, quite and luxurious as I have imagined it to be. I'll let you know how this end up, will I join LS owners or will I put more miles to my Volvo which is nice daily driver.