What Can You Tell Me About An Ls430?

silly_me

I know nothing about Lexus cars, I've been a consumer of products from the other side of the pond.

However, I'm in the midst of looking for a new luxobarge and stumbled across a really good deal on an 06 LS430. To convince me that I should get this over an XJ8 I wanted to ask you folks in the know a few questions:

What can you tell me about the engine?

Any weak points? What about routine maint? Does this thing have a t-belt or chain?

I assume the transmission (6 speed?) is solid given the lineage of Toyota?

Is there anyway to disable the steering wheel from retracting everytime you stop? Albeit cool I'm looking for a long lasting relationship with a car and it has been my experience that such electro doohickeys break, and I'd hate for it to give up in the retracted position..... what about all the electrics in this vehicle? What is the life expectancy?

What other bits of information have you on this car? Why should I consider it?

(I noticed that you had a really nice buyer's guide for the LS400, but I didn't see one for the 430, if there is one please direct me.)

TIA

The XJ8 and the LS430 should not be in the same paragraph! The Lexus LS (pretty much all years) is easily the most reliable car in the world. Build quality is excellent.

Your steering wheel retraction will probably not break, but if it does, it's an easy fix that you can do yourself for not much money (if any).

You should consider it because it is truly a world class car. Nothing comes close in terms of refinement. And the post-facelift 430s look pretty darn good, too!

i don't know too much about technical aspects, but hands down this is the best car i've ever owned. it does everything it's supposed to do in a fashion far superior to any car i've owned or driven. i plan on having this car for years to come and believe that i will have nothing more to do other than routine maintenance. take the plunge...you won't regret it! :)

However, I'm in the midst of looking for a new luxobarge and stumbled across a really good deal on an 06 LS430. To convince me that I should get this over an XJ8 I wanted to ask you folks in the know a few questions

Mainly make sure the 06 LS at which you are looking has the options you want. It's not practical to add them later. Here are the specs: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2006.html

Except for a slight capacity increase in 2001, the LS engine hasn't changed since the 98 model year. It is about as "bullet proof" as car engines can get.

Any weak points? What about routine maint? Does this thing have a t-belt or chain?

The most common issue I read about is the optional "Dynamic Laser Cruise Control" but it can be overridden to function like a normal cruise control. It has a timing belt that should be changed every 90,000 miles -- no big deal ... I've had three changed. Routine maintenance "costs more than a Camry but less that the least expensive Mercedes". Unless you like the Lexus dealer's plush waiting room, find a good independent repair shop with lower prices.

The 6-speed has issues when first introduced in 2004 and the issues were addressed under a TSIB. I haven't noticed problems being reported in LS430's after the 2004 model year.

Is there anyway to disable the steering wheel from retracting everytime you stop?

Yes, the dealer can disable the auto tilt/telescope in a couple of minutes with a handheld tester. Lots of features on the car can be customized with the tester. The tilt/telescope feature is nice and I don't remember issues on it reported on LS430s after about the 2002 model year.

what about all the electrics in this vehicle? What is the life expectancy?

Well, it is a very complex car and things occasional fail. I've been driving Lexus LS cars for nearly 19 years and found the problem rate to be more than acceptable and far better on any Mercedes or Volvo I owned.

Many people seem to love the Ultra Luxury version for all its "toy's" but it adds significant complexity and greatly reduces trunk capacity. There were very few Ultra Luxury versions manufactured during the 2006 model year.

I didn't like the LS430 when it first came out in late 2000 but I have certainly warmed up to it -- particularly after driving and thoroughly going over an LS460. If I had to replace my 2000 LS400 today, the 2006 LS430 would be my first first choice.

The 2006 LS430's leased in fall 2005 are now coming off 3 year leases and, with the plummeting used luxury car market, are incredible bargains. I bought my 2000 LS400 in 2003 after it came off somebody else's three year lease -- first time I ever did that and only used car I have bought since the 1970s -- buying an off 3-year lease car definitely gives a big bang for the buck.

I know nothing about Lexus cars, I've been a consumer of products from the other side of the pond.

However, I'm in the midst of looking for a new luxobarge and stumbled across a really good deal on an 06 LS430. To convince me that I should get this over an XJ8 I wanted to ask you folks in the know a few questions:

Is there anyway to disable the steering wheel from retracting everytime you stop? Albeit cool I'm looking for a long lasting relationship with a car and it has been my experience that such electro doohickeys break, and I'd hate for it to give up in the retracted position..... what about all the electrics in this vehicle? What is the life expectancy?

(I noticed that you had a really nice buyer's guide for the LS400, but I didn't see one for the 430, if there is one please direct me.)

TIA

Well I was in the same boat a month ago. i bought an RX330 for my wife, Last Monday I bought an LS430 for myself. Love them.

"I know nothing about Lexus cars, I've been a consumer of products from the other side of the pond."

In 2002, I researched the LS430 completely over at least 6 months before buying ours as we drive cars until they become unreliable. The reliability is unrivaled except by the Camry and Avalon. Our choice came down to the Avalon and the Lexus LS430. Bought the LS because of the V-8 and a few other amenities.

Other than a cd getting stuck in the changer, no problems over 7+ years and 85k. Since I started driving in 1956, have had a multiplicity of cars including various GM, Chrysler, Ford, Daimlier-Benz, VW, Honda, etc. Our family (3 boys, ages 31-46) are all car fanatics. Their chief complaints about the LS430 are it is boring (quiet, smooth, repair free, etc) so they have nothing to suggest I do to it other than keep it serviced regularly, well detailed , and check the tire pressure frequently (I'm a obcessive-compulsive detailing fanatic). Dealer maintainance is expensive!!! The 90k servicing (timing belt, etc) is around $1700 ($1000k at a Toyota dealer certified to service Lexus).

Suggest you look at the different discussion groups (here, Edmunds, the boards of other choices under your consideration, etc) and compare the comments and reported problems with the other luxury choices you have under consideration. Check their discussion boards. Also the relative re-sale values.

Best of luck in choosing your next ride!

Please let us know your final decision, and why!

The XJ8 and the LS430 should not be in the same paragraph!

Hey now :D The XJ8 is ranked right below Lexus in the all powerful JD Powers :D Honestly I have no reservations on any reliability issues on the jag except for the air suspension which no mfgr has gotten to be long-term-reliable yet. The LS I'm looking at has coil springs, nice reliable coil springs :D

Mainly make sure the 06 LS at which you are looking has the options you want. It's not practical to add them later. Here are the specs: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2006.html

I'm not really "into" options. I know that it doesn't have the "ultra luxury package" and I know that it doesn't have nav. It does have heated and cooled front seats (pretty cool stuff I thought was only a merc s-klasse toy) and rear heated seats. I have no idea about any other options.

The most common issue I read about is the optional "Dynamic Laser Cruise Control" but it can be overridden to function like a normal cruise control.

How do you tell which kind of cruise control it has? From that spec sheet you linked there are 3 different kinds? Good heavens!

It has a timing belt that should be changed every 90,000 miles -- no big deal ... I've had three changed.

Does no big deal mean you have to take the entire nose off to gain access? I'll be doing that to my audi as soon as I have the new car in the garage.... A quick glance in the engine bay of the Lexus naturally revealed nothing but huge sheets of cosmetic plastic. Is this engine easy to work on? Can I change an oil filter on it without developing new curse words? Is the starter in a natural spot to get to? The generator?

In 2002, I researched the LS430 completely over at least 6 months before buying ours as we drive cars until they become unreliable.

This is me, whatever I buy will be the last car I buy for another decade :D You can see why I'm looking at a Lexus now (which is totally against my entire automotive past :D ).

Oh yeah, one more question, is the factory warranty fully transferable to a second hand owner?

It's 4/50 b2b w/roadside and 7/100 powertrain?

Thanks,

The warranty for all Lexus gasoline powered vehicles is the same (not sure about hybrids) -- 4 years/50,000 miles basic and 6 years/70,000 miles drive train. I've never heard of a car manufacturer's warranty not being transferable to a second, third, etc. owner.

Like I said, the LS is a complex vehicle. Lots of forum members work on engine components themselves -- I rarely do. Replacing the timing belt and related components is a complex operation but probably no more complex than on other V8 cars with a timing belt. Replacing the timing belt and related components is currently about a $1,000 operation + or - $150. If you are spending enough money to buy an 06 LS430, the cost is a "nit". If it isn't, you might want to look at Camry or Avalon V6 where a timing belt replacement, with related components, is about half the cost.

If you want to compare repair frequency statistics, I think there are better sources than J.D. Powers. Take a look at a recent Consumer Reports yearbook. Consumer Union subscribers/members report problems with their cars to Consumer Union in detailed surveys each year and Consumer Union compiles them -- We've been participating in the surveys since the 1970s and watched how our experiences with cars seems to correlate with others.

It is nice that Jaguar reliability has improved somewhat under Ford ownership and with the use of Ford components in Jaguar cars. I hope Jaguar fares well under its new owners.

If you have been an Audi owner, you will be in for a treat as a Lexus owner. The Consumer Union ratings I'm holding in my hand show the Lexus LS430 as having far, far higher reliability than any Audi after a couple of years. I'm not "trashing" Audi -- I love they way they drive -- but their documented reliability goes down hill pretty fast after a couple of years. It is not uncommon for a Lexus LS to require zero repairs, not including normal maintenance, during its first 100,000 miles.

If you are really interested in the LS430 you are looking at, as a Lexus dealer to print out a summary of how it is equipped or ask the seller if he has the original window sticker.

And, yes, the oil filter is easy to get to. I always change the engine oil myself every 5,000 miles -- just did my 50th oil change on Lexus LS cars over the last 19 years / 250,000 miles.

If you have been an Audi owner, you will be in for a treat as a Lexus owner. The Consumer Union ratings I'm holding in my hand show the Lexus LS430 as having far, far higher reliability than any Audi after a couple of years. I'm not "trashing" Audi -- I love they way they drive -- but their documented reliability goes down hill pretty fast after a couple of years. It is not uncommon for a Lexus LS to require zero repairs, not including normal maintenance, during its first 100,000 miles.

I have to agree; the LS series all in is probably the most reliable car on the planet. I think a couple years ago CU said a 9 year old LS was more reliable than a new Mercedes M class; and at the LS460 intro Lexus claims that a 5 year old LS is more reliable than a new S Class or BMW 7 series. I also find the parts and labor costs when you do need something done to be substantially less than MB parts; aside from a couple taillamp bulbs burning out I've had virtually zero problems in the last 3 years.

The list of awards these cars have won is staggering; in 2002 AMCI declared the LS430 the "Finest Sedan in America" and this was against the likes of then Bentley and Rolls Royce cars. Check out a more through list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS_awards_list. The LS 430 has also beaten the Jag XJ in every comparo test I've read since 2001.

The LS is not a sports car; many drivers bemoan the lack of steering feel and soft ride; but in day to day use these issues are more than made up for with it's quietness, friendliness, and exquisite build quality. And while it may not drive like a Corvette you won't be that far behind one at a stoplight; the V8 is surprisingly powerful.

I've owned exactly 2 cars since I started driving 19 years ago, I'm about to pay the CA registration fees on both of them next month. The Mercedes just hit 200,000 miles; I have no reason to believe the LS won't join it in a few years.

I'm not really "into" options. I know that it doesn't have the "ultra luxury package" and I know that it doesn't have nav. It does have heated and cooled front seats (pretty cool stuff I thought was only a merc s-klasse toy) and rear heated seats. I have no idea about any other options.

My LS is a 2004 and, unless things have changed in between these years, no Navigation means you have the most basic model. The car will be boring in every sense of the word - both in a good and bad way, as others have posted. No real maintenance issues, no little things you have to figure out (i.e., when you first sit inside, you probably can already work everything), but will never be mistaken for a sports car. Make sure that you have tires that "fit" the car - mine came with "performance" tires (purchased CPO last year) that transmit way more noise into the cabin that I'd like, but what can you do? My tires are Goodyear ResponseEdge with Kevlar - supposedly quiet, but I wouldn't pitch them as such.

One major plus (to me) about the basic model is that it has parking sensors rather than a backup camera. This is definitely a personal preference, but I have found the sensors to be more useful than the camera, although I couldn't tell you why.

All in all, I'm pretty agnostic about my ride, so I'll just highlight a few of my pro's and con's after a year of owning a LS430 - comments with the word "surprising" are relative as our expectations may differ:

Pros:

- Very good drive train - the engine is smooth, powerful, and well matched to the transmission.

- Everything "just works"

- Surprisingly small turning radius

- Blocks out most outside noise very well

- Interior is incredibly comfortable and well put together

Cons:

- A surprising amount of noise can travel through the bottom of the vehicle - especially through the tires. This might be alleviated some with different tires - maybe someone else can comment.

- Suspension is not as great as some reviewers make it seem. The times I get that "driving on glass" feeling are few and far between; again, since I'm in the minority, this might be due to the tires

- Suspension handles big bumps amazingly well, and small bumps surprisingly poorly.

- The cooled seats don't really work all that well - if your backside is hot, the cooled seats will only make them slightly less hot.

Huge Con (for me)

- Lexus CPO warranty is non-transferrable. This was not pointed out to me before I bought the car (yes, it was in writing, but I didn't catch it until a couple days later). Since you plan on keeping your vehicle for a while and you haven't mentioned CPO at all, I'm guessing it's not an issue for you.

• Like 1

The car will be boring in every sense of the word - both in a good and bad way, as others have posted.

I was gathering that :D While the Jag makes my nether regions tingle the Lexus is entirely a left brain affair.

One major plus (to me) about the basic model is that it has parking sensors rather than a backup camera. This is definitely a personal preference, but I have found the sensors to be more useful than the camera, although I couldn't tell you why.

The only complaint I find from owners (aside from the oddly hinged glovebox) is the nav system, so I'm not really going to miss it on any car I pick up.

Cons:

- A surprising amount of noise can travel through the bottom of the vehicle - especially through the tires. This might be alleviated some with different tires - maybe someone else can comment.

- Suspension is not as great as some reviewers make it seem. The times I get that "driving on glass" feeling are few and far between; again, since I'm in the minority, this might be due to the tires

- Suspension handles big bumps amazingly well, and small bumps surprisingly poorly.

I also think that most reviewers used the air suspension equipped LS, and honestly if I'm going to have to fiddle with air I'd sooner buy the Jag.

JD Power has several different ratings, and I believe the one Jag just snagged is "initial quality". If so, big deal. What's the quality, reliability, after three years? Lexus takes it. In fact they've done so for about 14 of the last 15 years. JDP said a five year old Lexus is more reliable than a new MB or BMW, and both of those are more reliable than Jag. Interpret that as you will.

Lexus are not boring - that's a myth promoted by the competition. Unless getting from A to B is boring. Unless spending almost nothing on repairs is boring. Unless having blistering acceleration and excellent fuel economy is boring.

So buy the Jag and check back with us in a few months. Most of us have actually experienced what you are only wondering about.

You won't go wrong with an LS. It is the best car I've ever had. I have a friend who bought a MB. I told him tactfully that a Lexus is a better car. After monthly trips to the MB dealer for about a year, he parked it and bought a LS 460. Loves it - hates the lack of override on the navigation tho.

Several folks have commented "best car you can buy". My Dad and brother fight over who is going to drive it when I visit.

If you want a car that will stay with you on minimal repairs, this is one that will last.

I'm not sure if it's that I like driving the car itself or the idea of driving it. When I sit behind the wheel of that thing, I feel big an important peering out over that long hood covering that powerful V8 engine, and being bathed in high quality interior materials (and a good stereo to boot)!

Our family (3 boys, ages 31-46) are all car fanatics. Their chief complaints about the LS430 are it is boring (quiet, smooth, repair free, etc)

What a great complaint to have!

Anyway...

I just want to throw in a plug for the fully optioned vehicle...I have never regretted buying a fully optioned vehicle.

The pricing is usually the same or just a hair higher than its' spartan equivalent, but when you go to sell it down the road, you will sell first because of the option package. Two similar vehicles in mileage and condition with one being say an Ultra Lux and the other with cloth seats and burlap headliner...the Ultra Lux sells first for more money in a shorter period of time.

I am also a (rare?) fan of the Lexus Nav system. The Nav system works well, integrates into the car functionality and has great utility. People love to gripe about the functionality being crippled by the Lexus Lawyers, but this can be overridden in a number of ways that are documented ad-nauseum in this forum and others.

We recently sold our 2003 RX300 and it had the nav system. Nav was rare in 2003 and we sold for $3k more than others in our area and it sold in 4 days. I had 4 people on waiting list in case the first guy couldn't get financing. Some of the other RX's (one with slightly lower miles) are still on the market two months later.

Good Luck and have fun shopping in this buyer's market!

My LS is a 2004 and, unless things have changed in between these years, no Navigation means you have the most basic model. The car will be boring in every sense of the word - both in a good and bad way, as others have posted. No real maintenance issues, no little things you have to figure out (i.e., when you first sit inside, you probably can already work everything), but will never be mistaken for a sports car. Make sure that you have tires that "fit" the car - mine came with "performance" tires (purchased CPO last year) that transmit way more noise into the cabin that I'd like, but what can you do? My tires are Goodyear ResponseEdge with Kevlar - supposedly quiet, but I wouldn't pitch them as such.

All in all, I'm pretty agnostic about my ride, so I'll just highlight a few of my pro's and con's after a year of owning a LS430 - comments with the word "surprising" are relative as our expectations may differ:

Pros:

- Very good drive train - the engine is smooth, powerful, and well matched to the transmission.

- Everything "just works"

- Surprisingly small turning radius

- Blocks out most outside noise very well

- Interior is incredibly comfortable and well put together

Cons:

- The cooled seats don't really work all that well - if your backside is hot, the cooled seats will only make them slightly less hot.

Huge Con (for me)

- Lexus CPO warranty is non-transferrable. This was not pointed out to me before I bought the car (yes, it was in writing, but I didn't catch it until a couple days later). Since you plan on keeping your vehicle for a while and you haven't mentioned CPO at all, I'm guessing it's not an issue for you.

The tires have everything to do with the noise and ride. When I purchased my 2002 new it had Yokohamas on it. They rode hard, made noise and followed the grooves inthe freeeway. I complained to the dealer and they allowed me to purchase the tires that I wanted and paid for them (great dealer service South Bay Lexus in Torrance, Ca.). Since I had been using Michelin on my Legend for 11 years, I put them on the Lex. They are very quiet and dampen the ride as well as having very low rolling resistence.

Yes, make sure you invest in good quality touring tires for these cars, and make sure the tire pressure is set to the Lexus spec on the doorframe. The tires are so important on a Lexus.

With the right set of tires it will shock you how smooth and quiet it is at every drive.

I've also never driven an LS430 with the 18 inch wheels that are common on the 05 and 06. That may make a difference. I've driven the LS460 with 18s, but it uses a higher sidewall tire than the 430. It rides like a dream on the 17s.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm back, still on the hunt. And, shockingly, with a few more questions if you will.

*How can I tell from seller photos if the car has the air suspension?

*do all LS430s have remote keyless starting? "smart key" if you will?

*How is the NAV system? Is it push button? Does it control everything? (in other words, if it fails will I still be able to control radio/AC)?

*are there any differences in reliability between m.y. 05 and 06

Thanks again!

*How can I tell from seller photos if the car has the air suspension?

The only way the car has air suspension is if it is the Ultra Luxury package, most noticable by the rear seat audio & climate controls. Only the UL LS430 has the air suspension. There is also a button above the shifter knob on the console.

*do all LS430s have remote keyless starting? "smart key" if you will?

No, but most do. Look for the little black lock buttons on the door handles. If it has nav it has the smart key.

*How is the NAV system? Is it push button? Does it control everything? (in other words, if it fails will I still be able to control radio/AC)?

I love the nav, one thing to bear in mind is Lexus vehicles (as do most other vehicles) don't allow you to enter destinations when driving, only when stopped. There is a workaround for this for this that is well documented in here.

*are there any differences in reliability between m.y. 05 and 06

Only that the '06s would be newer and lower mileage. They are the identical car, I would look based on miles and look at both 05's and '06s.

what is the service interval for these cars and what is involved with each service? Thanks again.

Oil changes are every 5k, larger services at 15k and 30k, 45k and 60k. Big service at 90k which includes timing belt replacement, save your pennies for that one.

Service is expensive at the Lexus dealer, don't expect to get out of there for less than $150. Independent mechanics are cheaper.

• 1 year later...

TIA

TIA

I have had 4 Jags (2 XJ-12 and 2 XJR) and 3 Lexus. On balance, I have found the Lexus LS to be the better product. It is extremely reliable and has outstanding fit and finish. My wife has an '04 LS 430 and we have had no reliability issues at all. The LS is an outstanding trip car with the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I am 6'3" and really enjoy the movable seat cushion and cooled seats. After 6 years and 45K miles, all we have ever had to do is change tires and brakes.

Where it will really beat the Jag is in electrical and electronics reliability. I think that any model between 2004-06 should be able to provide you with the options that you will want. Good luck.

Hey SillyMe, or anyone else,

Type your year and model number into GOOGLE (2006 LS430) and scan down the results you get.

Add any word to narrow your search: I recommend the word "wiki" first, then the wikipedia article will tell you lots about the Lexus brand. I recommend the word "reviews" next, and you should get results from edmonds, consumer reports, etc. Finally, use keywords for any aspect of your question, ("problems", "air shocks", "detailing" etc.) and you should get a variety of answers quickly.

TIA

Come on guys, is this a joke?