My First Lexus

bcarson

Just wanted to say hello and ask a question. My wife and I just purchased a 2004 ES with 36000 miles on it. It is in perfect shape and we love it except for one pretty big problem . . . road noise. When we test drove the vehicle in downtown Baltimore, we drove over rough city streets and made the mistake of not highway driving so the noise problem wasn't noticed. The car is quiet up to about 35 mph then the humming starts (mostly from the front). I am 90% sure the problem is the tires which are Dean Equus LSI's on the front and Yokohama Geolander G900's on the rear. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just wanted to say hello and ask a question. My wife and I just purchased a 2004 ES with 36000 miles on it. It is in perfect shape and we love it except for one pretty big problem . . . road noise. When we test drove the vehicle in downtown Baltimore, we drove over rough city streets and made the mistake of not highway driving so the noise problem wasn't noticed. The car is quiet up to about 35 mph then the humming starts (mostly from the front). I am 90% sure the problem is the tires which are Dean Equus LSI's on the front and Yokohama Geolander G900's on the rear. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You might want to start by looking at the surveys on Tire Rack -- the Geolander G900 doesn't appear to get very good ratings on noise: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...2FT+G900#Survey

It's best (and safer) to having matching tires on all four wheels. The Tire Rack surveys are an excellent place to see opinions about tires. I've bought scads of tires from Tire Rack and have found the ratings accurate.

I love when previous owners mix and match crappy tires. :chairshot:

Get a set of nice all season radials and you will hear a noticable difference. You will most likely feel a noticable improvement in the handling as well. My last set of tires I had on my 02 ES (basically the same car) were Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Awesome tire for the price and pretty decent in light snow and heavy rain.

steviej

hello, i have a 04 es with 57000 miles and have Michilen pilot exalto v rated stock size and car is very quiet. i believe the car is made for v rated tires, some people say h rated is ok. matched tires make the difference. i had toyo, and dunlop. both ok till about 20000 or less miles and they got noisy and rough. tire is a good source. have fun!

tim