Engine Light Problem

i just bought a 1993 lexus sc 400 from a friend, the millage is really high but it was sold at a cheap price and i was told that the car should run good if i maintained oil changes, etc.

latley, i have been noticing that my check engine light has been going on. what does this mean?

i don't want to take it in to the dealers because i know it'll cost a fourtune, so can anyone who knows this car good, give me a list of things that the lit engine light might mean?

is this serious? if i need to take it in because of serious matters, i will do so.

please let me know.

thank you for any help.

There are hundreds of things that can cause a check engine light.

Stop by your local AutoZone store.

They will attach a code reader to your car and read the codes that caused your Check Engine Light for free.

From those codes, they will be able to tell you what is wrong.

From there, you can decide what to do.

i just bought a 1993 lexus sc 400 from a friend, the millage is really high but it was sold at a cheap price and i was told that the car should run good if i maintained oil changes, etc.

latley, i have been noticing that my check engine light has been going on. what does this mean?

i don't want to take it in to the dealers because i know it'll cost a fourtune, so can anyone who knows this car good, give me a list of things that the lit engine light might mean?

is this serious? if i need to take it in because of serious matters, i will do so.

please let me know.

thank you for any help.

please let me know.

thank you for any help.

[color="#000080"]GET IT CHECKED...IT'LL COST YOU A FORTUNE IF YOU WAIT...IT COULD BE SERIOUS/NOT SERIOUS,I HAD THE SAME SITUATION AND NOW OUR 92 SC 300 ISNT WORKING! I NEEDED IT SMOG CHECKED,BUT OF COURSE THE SHOP WILL NOT PASS IF THE CHK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON...SO I SPENT A NEEDLESS 900 BUCKS AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS TURNED OFF, SMOG WAS PASSED BUT A WEEK LATER CAR STARTS BUT WILL NOT MOVE WHEN I SHIFT TO DRIVE OR REVERSE. SORRY I DON'T EXACTLY KNOW WHY THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT IT'S WISE TO SPEND FOR AN INSPECTION AND THEN SHOP AROUND AFTER YOU KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE CAR...