E-brake Switch Adjustment

914lps

I need to ajust the &^%^ brake swich on the emegancy brake. It does not turn off all the way most of the time. Stays dimmly light. I have tested the battery and alt, with a tester and charger. All is OK. Alt is putting out 100%. Volts with engine on is over 13 volts. Some timesif I iick the e-brake light goes off. Anyone have a PDF file on how to get to the swith to ajust it?

Thank you. And brakes are OK.. Just put new pads on.

Not sure if this will help, but did you see this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=50206

Yes I did . And it gives no information on how to ajust the swith, etc. I did a complet search of the forum before posting and found others with the same issue, but nothing on how to ajust the swith. Just stuff on the wiring in the trunk and checking all the brake lights and the alternater... All checked out OK. I know it is swith related... Just don't know how to get to it, etc....

Got it. Then you probably already know the switch number:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1991_LEXU...8.html?hl=84550

But with it, I couldn't find a diagram. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Yep I have een that. I know the switch works. Just needs to be ajusted. But I can't find any info on how to get to it to ajust it, and I'm the kind of guy that if I just go at it, most times I find out I really shoud not have done what I just did becouse I just broke something costly....

Make sure your release lever is pulled out all the way. Cables might need lube. In front of the differential is an adjustment nut on the equalizer bar that connects the cable from the pedal with the L/R cables going to the rear. There is an intermediate lever just before it that multiplies the force to the equalizer. You might need some liquid wrench to free it up.

As far as I know, the switches on these things don't adjust as such. The ebrake system has adjustments as Eating points out, but the ebrake pedal/lever itself simply makes contact with the stationary switch.

The ebrake system is a cable based system by design, and those cables will stretch. Adjusting like Eating is talking about can pull the slack out of the system and ensure that the lever makes contact.

I had this problem in my F150, but the opposite would happen. The light would only come on every 3rd or 4th time I engaged the ebrake. Replaced the switch and tightened the cable. No more issues.

As far as I know, the switches on these things don't adjust as such. The ebrake system has adjustments as Eating points out, but the ebrake pedal/lever itself simply makes contact with the stationary switch.

The ebrake system is a cable based system by design, and those cables will stretch. Adjusting like Eating is talking about can pull the slack out of the system and ensure that the lever makes contact.

I had this problem in my F150, but the opposite would happen. The light would only come on every 3rd or 4th time I engaged the ebrake. Replaced the switch and tightened the cable. No more issues.

I don't need to tighten the cable the ebrake works fine. Holds fine and ajusts fine. It is the switch that needs to be ajusted. And yes it is ajustable. I just do not know how to get to it. If anything the cable my be loose, but that would not keep the light dimly glowing

I don't need to tighten the cable the ebrake works fine. Holds fine and ajusts fine. It is the switch that needs to be ajusted. And yes it is ajustable. I just do not know how to get to it. If anything the cable my be loose, but that would not keep the light dimly glowing

It is highly unlikely that Lexus produced a $300 adjustable and variable resistance switch that causes the indicator to glow dim or bright based on fractions of a millimeter of pedal travel. What would be the purpose in that?

Most likely, it is like we have been saying, a cheap-!Removed! standard toyota parking brake switch that snaps into a square hole in the metal support bracket and that due to its' cheap-!Removed! properties and location down near the wet and damp of the floorboard, it has failed and is not switching on/off like it should be.

As we also keep pointing out, the ebrake system in most applications is adjustable and provides some tension on the brake lever itself. If all of that system is sloppy and not providing the proper tension, it is possible that the lever isn't activating the switch correctly to extinguish the light...hence the question from EUBT about pulling the brake lever up to see what happens.

Just trying to be helpful here, man. None of us seem to know anything about an adjustable ebrake light, I suspect because in our experience the cheap-!Removed! non-adjustable switch is what we have seen in every application we are familiar with.

I would love to be wrong about this whole issue. Please post what you figure out and and if it is adjustable, a post on how you did that and the tools required would be very helpful for the next guy.

Good Luck!

My 91 LS does the same. The line is fine and the pedal goes up all the way. It has to be the switch. Haven't had time to look under the dash.

In your case, I would push the ebrake pedal in to latch it on and reach up between the pedal and where it would spring up towards the Off position. You should be able to locate the business end of the aforementioned lil cheap-!Removed! plunger switch and work it with your finger to see if that possibly cleans the contacts in it. You should be able to watch the light on your dash and see it flash on and off as you work that lil bugger. If it feels gritty or operates intermittently based on the indicator on the dash, I would use the diagram AzhotLS posted to locate the replacement switch and replace it!

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out please!

OK, I turned the eng on so the dash light would be on. With the EBrake depresed light on nice and bright. With it relised just dimly glowing. Pulling on the release lever and pulling up on the e-brake pedale. light just glows very dimly. hiting the pedal shacking it, etc... no diferance.

Bending myself into and shoving my head under the dash with a flash light. Things are to tightly packed in there cant see where switch would be. Tryed to feel around with my hand but not enough room to get my hand in, and I have very small hands.

I think I will call a dealer on Monday and eplain issue and see what thay say. I'll then call indy guy in Los Angeles that I have used when traveling though.

I'll let you know what I'm told.

But I would love to get my hands on a good diagram of that area.

I noticed that same thing too!

Cars sure are getting smaller and tighter down there.

It definitely couldn't be that I am getting bigger, fluffier and less agile! Darned car manufacturers! :lol:

The best diagrams I have seen of Lexus parts in general are the ones that AZ posted earlier. Maybe some of the LS techy guys can confirm if better drawings from the maintenence manuals even exist.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out!

OK. I have called around to some dealers and some indy repair shops. Can't find a one that has ever actualy done this repair. All say the same thing. Has to be a matter of replacing the switch or ajusting the e-brake cable. All say most likly one hour of time. No more then two, and if needed the cost of a new sitch. All would start with trying to ajust the cable first as that is the easiest of the two.

No one could tell me if the swith is open when the brack is on or off, or just were under the dash it is. :wub::wub::wub:

OK. I have called around to some dealers and some indy repair shops. Can't find a one that has ever actualy done this repair. All say the same thing. Has to be a matter of replacing the switch or ajusting the e-brake cable. All say most likly one hour of time. No more then two, and if needed the cost of a new sitch. All would start with trying to ajust the cable first as that is the easiest of the two.

No one could tell me if the swith is open when the brack is on or off, or just were under the dash it is. :wub::wub::wub:

914, check the brake pedal return spring. If it's not operating properly, the switch could remain partially closed. To ensure the switch is totally open, the pedal must return to it's proper position. The switch is at the top part of the pedal lever just in front of the spring (not the spring attached to the locking rachet). Basically in the same position as the stop switch at the top of the service brake pedal lever. You'll notice the where the cable attaches, there is no adjustment. I think there might be an adjusting screw that determines the amount of pedal lever travel. Here's the best diag I could find, this should help you out:

PBrake.jpg

Here's one of the service brake, note the location of the stop switch (in this case it's just above the return spring):

StopLightSwitch2.jpg