Tire Pressures Displayed On The Dash Display

Tire pressure for all 5 tires are displayed on the dash display...which pressure goes to which tire? I cannot believe that that information is not in the owner's manual. thanks

This is a frustrating aspects of the car's design. Each TPMS sensor matches a position in the dashboard display. Once you rotate the tires, any logical sequence is disturbed.

Here's what I do, this doesn't correlate the readout to each one of your 4 primary tires, but it does take the spare out of the equation.

First, the tire pressures specified by Lexus are far too high. I've seen this on M-B and BMW products as well; when you compare the U.S. and Euro tire pressures, the U.S. specs are much higher. This is because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle. They assume we're morons -- as with the GPS system and choosing POIs while in motion -- and figure we can't be trusted to maintain proper tire pressures.

Now, you can't run the tires at a significantly lower pressure without tripping the system. So, I keep the spare at a still reasonable pressure -- 34 psi -- and run the other tires at the minimum pressure I can get away with (usually 36 or 37, depending on the season). In this way I can quickly identify a pressure variation in one of the tires on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
Tire pressure for all 5 tires are displayed on the dash display...which pressure goes to which tire? I cannot believe that that information is not in the owner's manual. thanks

I deflated each tire a little and then reinflated while watching the display and was then able to write down the sequence correctly.

I deflated each tire a little and then reinflated while watching the display and was then able to write down the sequence correctly.

Too much trouble for me. When one gets below 30 or alarms, I fill em all. To 36. I tried several presssures, and this felt the most comfortable to me. If one varies a lot from the others, I go look at the tires physically, and (gasp) even measure them with a gauge, if necessary. It is usually not hard to tell. I am sure they will update this system in the future, but it has worked for me for the past 18K, and I have had to replace two (yuk) tires for nails during this time. In neither case did I need to change the tire before I drove back to the dealer, and in both cases the tire was low, but not undrivable for several miles. In one case I thought the nail was a small tack, removed it, realzed that it was 3 " long, put it back in its hole to stop the hissing, and drove to the dealer. The tire measured about 29 # on the dash. So the system seems to work reasonably well. I thought the tires might be defective, but fellow readers correctly concluded that I was just unlucky. And so far I have lost no others, so they are probably correct. You may have to remid the service department to fill the spare. If they forget, it will read odd compared to the ones they remember. It is hard to fill the spare becasue it is int he trunk under stuff, but it is a necessary part of servicing. By the way, they do vary in pressure depending on whether they are cold or not. Filling them to 36 on a cold day, and then driving on the freeway may boost them above that pressure.