Start-up Noise...going To Explode...

motoroil

Hopefully that title got your attention. :o

Occasionally when I start my ES300 it makes a strange noise. When I start my car, there is a pressure building noise from behind me.

The best description of it is it sounds like my gas tank is building pressure and going to explode.

The noise gets louder and louder (quite loud) and then right when you expect an explosion it starts to quiet down until it goes away.

Accelerating right on start up, changing gears, etc.... nothing affects the noise.

It sounds kinda like when a low-flying aircraft comes by. Whrrrrrr then really loud Whrrrr then quieting down Whrrrrrr.

But its coming from behind me when I'm in the seat starting the car.

Whatyda think?

I would also concur that it sounds like it is probably the fuel pump. When you first turn the key to the run position, the pump should run for a couple seconds. Have someone turn the key to the on position while you sit near the gas tank. it should be obvious. If it is the pump, replace it now. If it is making this much noise, chances are it could die at any time. So on top of the cost of replacing the pump, you would also have to pay for a tow, and deal with the hassels of waiting for the tow truck.

Make sure you do it safely, i.e., disconnecting the batt, making sure the tank isn't full etc. Remember your dealing with fuel and vapors. I'm not going to give you the guidleines here, but they're easy to look up and important to follow..

I appreciate the info. I did a fuel pump on an mx6 that was the same kind--access via removing the rear seat. Save a ton of time and work.

Interestingly, I'm going to put off doing the pump though, because after replacing the fuel filter, the noise has stopped. Could be coincidence--I'll definitely keep listening for it the next 2 weeks or so, but I think the fuel filter was it.

I appreciate the info. I did a fuel pump on an mx6 that was the same kind--access via removing the rear seat. Save a ton of time and work.

Interestingly, I'm going to put off doing the pump though, because after replacing the fuel filter, the noise has stopped. Could be coincidence--I'll definitely keep listening for it the next 2 weeks or so, but I think the fuel filter was it.

Did you empty the filter to see what had been collected? A dirty filter would put a strain on the pump for sure. That's when you start to hear them groaning. It's always usefull to examine any filters you replace. Also gives you an idea of what replacement schedule you should be on, normal or extreme.

I didn't empty out the filter--good idea though.

I did blow through it to test resistance, a little more resistance than the new, but not a ton.

I've had the car for 3-4 months now, and I'm chipping away at maintenance. The previous owner didn't do much. It was the original fuel filter--'93 with 114k on it.

However, as I've kept my ear out, I've noticed the noise is still there sometimes. Its not as often as it was before, but sometimes the loud bubbling/pressure building noise is still present for 5-8seconds on startup.

So I may need to still replace the fuel pump. Since they are costly I wanted to hold off until I new it was necessary. While they range from $150-250 at my local auto parts, I see them on ebay for $50ish. Fuel pumps are fairly simple mechanically speaking, so an ebay (cheap) aftermarket should work find I think, as fuel pumps seem not overly complex.

I didn't empty out the filter--good idea though.

I did blow through it to test resistance, a little more resistance than the new, but not a ton.

I've had the car for 3-4 months now, and I'm chipping away at maintenance. The previous owner didn't do much. It was the original fuel filter--'93 with 114k on it.

However, as I've kept my ear out, I've noticed the noise is still there sometimes. Its not as often as it was before, but sometimes the loud bubbling/pressure building noise is still present for 5-8seconds on startup.

So I may need to still replace the fuel pump. Since they are costly I wanted to hold off until I new it was necessary. While they range from $150-250 at my local auto parts, I see them on ebay for $50ish. Fuel pumps are fairly simple mechanically speaking, so an ebay (cheap) aftermarket should work find I think, as fuel pumps seem not overly complex.

Pumps can last a long time while being noisy. The pump on my volvo was noisy for 2 or 3 years. I finally replaced it because it became embarassingly loud and was singing way out of key! :D