Hybrid Battery % Of Charge Tip

I have never heard of this tip before until I came across it the other day, It seems so obvoius I feel stupid for not thinking of it before I read it.

The ICE will always rund the first few minutes at start up to get the fluids up to temp. So it makes sense to try to run the battery down as low as possible before parking it for the night. It is better to try to drop to battery only speeds when you are near home to run it down because if you return home with a full battery the next morning ICE will be running at start up without adding much to the hybrid battery

Unfortunately, the only way I could do that would be if I drag-raced someone within the last two miles of my house! I typically coast down a long hill and then use the battery for a bit less than a mile before reaching home. The RX's battery is almost always 75% full at that time.

Dave

I have always tried to run on battery alone during my last one mile before getting home, unfortunately, I live near the main street and 2 miles away from the freeway, so could not take full advantage of it because some idiots will always tailgating me. You need to coast for about 5 minutes to have the battery down to 25%, so that's a long distance of local. How about this? If the weather is not too cold, just go right away after you start your car and don't let the engine running while idling.

I have always tried to run on battery alone during my last one mile before getting home, unfortunately, I live near the main street and 2 miles away from the freeway, so could not take full advantage of it because some idiots will always tailgating me. You need to coast for about 5 minutes to have the battery down to 25%, so that's a long distance of local. How about this? If the weather is not too cold, just go right away after you start your car and don't let the engine running while idling.

I have always started right out with every car I have owned, the whole warm up thing really does an enging more harm than good. Even if you do eake the time to warm up you engine you still ned to drive slowly to allow the rest of the moving parts in the drive train to warm up. Sitting and allowing the engine to idle not only is a waste of gas it may also cause the engine oil to wear out sooner.