Wife 360's The Ls

fisher972002

I did the PC thing.. Asked her if she was ok.

But in the back of my mind, I was like Damn it.. I hope the car isnt' wrecked tooo bad...

Because as most of you deal with.. These old Lexus's are sooo good and reliable to replace them with a car of comparable options/quality costs a lot... ANd she has soooo much life left in her.

She hit a patch of ice, but I don't know how shw managed to spin the car around it hit the front bumper and headlight and the fender is misaligned just a little, she was only going 25 MPH. She hit the side of the bridge, no other damage than front passenger corner.

1991, 173K , but I bought in Texas in 2000 so the car is like brand new.... I have full coverage on it, I hope they don't total it out, that would be a shame.

WIfe calls says "It's making a weird noise" So you can imagine the images rolling through my head..LOL.. Get to her work and the Engine under cover has become unattached from the front and was dragging under the car.... So since I had all my jacks used up on putting in a Timing cover on her taurus, I had to go to the dealer.... I think the dealer's sniff out DIY' guys, they kind of looked at me cross.. It was kind of ghetto, I pulled into the service pay wtih that plastic shield dragging..LOL.. But they took it off for free! That was nice of them.

Insurance adjustor looked at it yesterday, I'm guessing about $1800 to fix!

Everybody cross your fingers for me! Even though I am due a timing belt, I've replaced all the bad suspension items, the engine mounts, the car is LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!

SO of course as always the risk of fixing up older cars, the insuarance company doesn't care if it has "New suspension Balljoints and struts and UCA's... LOL..

THey have a bottom line figure regardless ya know....

Hopefully the LS can get fixed and soldier on!!!

Fingers crossed.

Glad nobody was hurt. Hopefully they can fix things back to the way it was before the accident....$1,800 is not too bad. Make sure you use OE Lexus parts if anything need replacement.

Give some serious consideration to a good set of winter rubber.....they are worth their weight in gold....especially for the RWD LS. Keep us posted.

:cheers:

Well, it could have been a lot worse. You could have told your wife that you might have had to run a a personal advertisement in the Register -- "Looking for woman with Lexus ... send photo of car".

I barely got my 90 LS fixed with no out-of-pocket expense about 9 years ago when it was rear ended. I found out after the car was repaired that the adjuster missed seeing the odometer replacement sticker on the door jam and thought the car had gone only a fraction of its true mileage. It might have helped that my car was in like-new condition. The repair bill was over $10,000. I was prepared to come up with a few thousand out-of-pocket if the car had been totaled.

I gave my sister-in-law a demo of VSC on the icy/snowy streets of Des Moines over the holidays since she is looking at new cars and had never heard of stability control -- I don't know if I convinced her or just scared her. I did hear an "Oh $#!+" or two from the back seat each time the VSC warning chime sounded.

My 90 LS got around in snow "just OK" but was always a hand-full. I've wondered how it would have done with today's modern heavy duty winter tires instead of the old style M+S tires I used on it.

My wife and I have each done a "360" on icy Interstate bridges at highway speeds -- me in a Volvo 242 in 1978 and she in her Honda Civic in about 1980. Mine was in the evening rush hour on a mile long three lane viaduct; hers in the morning rush hour on a short overpass bridge.

I was in the center lane spinning slowly while surrounded by other cars -- the longest 30 seconds of my life just waiting for the impact. The impact never came and I came to a stop perfectly centered in the center lane pointed in the right direction ... with all the other cars stopped around me.

In her incident, my wife ended up off the Interstate and down an embankment.

It was amazing that there were no injuries or damage in either of our 360s. Your wife was lucky too.

I think the dealer's sniff out DIY' guys, they kind of looked at me cross.. It was kind of ghetto, I pulled into the service pay wtih that plastic shield dragging..LOL.. But they took it off for free! That was nice of them.
Guess it depends on the dealer and how often you see them. I've got a great relationship with my dealer, both in parts and service. The parts guys are always helpfull and very carefull in making sure any parts I buy are the latest series and will fit my car. They will even look up prices and suggest an alternative for a lower price. In service you have to assess who has the right attitude for you. I have one advisor who will spend as much time as I need in advising me about some details I might not be aware of when doing a repair - saves me finding out I'm missing a replacement part in the middle of a job. Mind you they're not all so generous.

1991, 173K , but I bought in Texas in 2000 so the car is like brand new.... I have full coverage on it, I hope they don't total it out, that would be a shame. Insurance adjustor looked at it yesterday, I'm guessing about $1800 to fix! SO of course as always the risk of fixing up older cars, the insuarance company doesn't care if it has "New suspension Balljoints and struts and UCA's... LOL..
Even with full coverage, adjustors look at the book value for repairs. At $1800, I think you're safe from having a write off. Nevertheless, they will go cheap on replacement parts because of the age of the car. I would talk with whatever body shop you're getting to do the work about what the adjustor has allowed for parts. If you don't like the appraisal, you can dispute it with the adjustor (which usually ends up being a waste of time), or you can work out a deal with the shop by topping off the appraisal for better/newer quality parts. If it's like new as you say, it would be worth putting in some extra cash - also gives the shop incentive to give your car extra attention in the work they do.

Everybody cross your fingers for me! Even though I am due a timing belt, I've replaced all the bad suspension items, the engine mounts, the car is LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!

THey have a bottom line figure regardless ya know....

Hopefully the LS can get fixed and soldier on!!!

Fingers crossed.

Let us know how things turn out. :cheers:

WIfe calls says "It's making a weird noise" So you can imagine the images rolling through my head..LOL.. Get to her work and the Engine under cover has become unattached from the front and was dragging under the car.... So since I had all my jacks used up on putting in a Timing cover on her taurus, I had to go to the dealer.... I think the dealer's sniff out DIY' guys, they kind of looked at me cross.. It was kind of ghetto, I pulled into the service pay wtih that plastic shield dragging..LOL.. But they took it off for free! That was nice of them.
I'm glad your wife is ok, and the damage wasn't too bad! I had a similar experience with that undercover on my '95. I was driving from New Orleans to Chicago, and somewhere around Memphis, TN I heard something grinding for a couple seconds, then stop. When I stopped for fuel the first time in W Memephis, AR, I found that the undercover was ground away pretty well. I used the pliers and wrench in the tool kit to remove it and throw it in the garbage. I was glad to finally have an excuse to throw that damn undercover away because it made maint/repairs a PITA, and I never replaced it either (and surprisingly the LS didn't fall apart.). Did yours collect any garbage on the way to the dealer?? LOL....

post-1461-1232134295_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1232134304_thumb.jpg

You could have told your wife that you might have had to run a a personal advertisement in the Register -- "Looking for woman with Lexus ... send photo of car".
LOL That is great! :lol:

I'm glad your wife is ok, and the damage wasn't too bad! I had a similar experience with that undercover on my '95. I was driving from New Orleans to Chicago, and somewhere around Memphis, TN I heard something grinding for a couple seconds, then stop. When I stopped for fuel the first time in W Memephis, AR, I found that the undercover was ground away pretty well. I used the pliers and wrench in the tool kit to remove it and throw it in the garbage. I was glad to finally have an excuse to throw that damn undercover away because it made maint/repairs a PITA, and I never replaced it either (and surprisingly the LS didn't fall apart.). Did yours collect any garbage on the way to the dealer?? LOL....

post-1461-1232134295_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1232134304_thumb.jpg

You could have told your wife that you might have had to run a a personal advertisement in the Register -- "Looking for woman with Lexus ... send photo of car".
LOL That is great! :lol:

What's that red thing caught in your bumper? Bird strike?

Oh wow

On an interstate embankment, I bet that was scaaary!

Good News, the LS lives on. The damage was estimated at$1,703.39 and they sent the check Monday, So I'll be getting her fixed!

Chug.. Chug... Now she is about due a timing belt and an antenna mast and good for another 100K