Thinking About Some Interior Bling

amcdonal86

What kind of cool bling items do you guys have on your LS400s? I'm thinking of some interior bling. I was envisioning getting some window tint, maybe some sort of rear video/entertainment system, side curtains (no, not airbags), power rear window shade, heated rear seats, fold down tray table in the rear, etc.

Does any of this exist in the aftermarket for the LS400??

A classy looking tint will definately enhance the appearance of your LS.....not sure I'd put on any curtains with tint though.

I have a high quality 20% (medium) charcoal shade on both my Lexus & Subaru. Here is a link to the pics...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=51532

Some of the other stuff would definately have to be custom made....fold down tray table in the back? Get some duct tape & a TV tray! lol :P Are you trying to make it like a Maybach? ;)

:cheers:

What kind of cool bling items do you guys have on your LS400s? I'm thinking of some interior bling. I was envisioning getting some window tint, maybe some sort of rear video/entertainment system, side curtains (no, not airbags), power rear window shade, heated rear seats, fold down tray table in the rear, etc.

Does any of this exist in the aftermarket for the LS400??

Bling? It's a matter of personal taste.

A rear entertainment system is certainly nice if you have children and don't mind listening to Barney or whatever is the "in" kid thing right now. A flip down rear TV/video screen was available on the Japanese LS400/Celsior C-spec by the 1995 model year.

Window tint is useful for slowing down interior damage from the sun and even skin damage from UV rays and definitely makes a car more comfortable. We have the max tint that Kansas allows - 35% - on our cars. Virginia allows a max of 50% on the front side windows, 35% on the back side and rear windows, and windshield tint down to the AS-1 line: http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/VA/

Side curtains? It's a car - not a house!; but whatever floats your boat. They seem to be fairly popular in Asia and I think Junction Produce and other companies can supply them in various sizes.

There used to be some pretty neat fold down wood rear trays for the LS400 but I haven't seen any for sale since the 1990s. They attached to the front seat backs and looked and worked a lot like the "picnic trays" in Jaguars and RR's. If you are looking for something for children to work on, there are a variety of utilitarian products with small fold-down work surfaces that go over the front headrest ... they have a variety of pockets to hold crayons, pencils, etc.

I've never seen a power rear retractable window shade that would work well on an LS400 -- the curved shape of the rear window is not very compatible with a retractable shade. I bought a manual retractable rear window shade out of the LS400 accessory catalog for my first LS but the shades were available only for the gen 1 LS -- you can see it in my gallery. I looked all over for a manual or power retractable rear window shade when I bought my 00 LS but didn't find one that would work very well. You can view a power rear window curtain someone rigged up and lots of other wacky stuff on this Japanese language website: http://celsiorup.com/

Heated rear seats were standard on all years (I think) of the LS400 in the U.K. and Europe but the switches were in the rear center armrest. With enough time and money anything is possible -- how much do you want to spend on a 12 year old car?

Assuming you have a cell phone as do most humans over 12 years old these days, the first think I would install is a nice hands-free Bluetooth phone kit with voice dialing. Blake918 provided instructions a while back on how to connect a phone kit's mute wire the the OEM phone connector under the center console so that your audio system automatically mutes when you receive or make a call.

It's certainly not "bling" but the first thing I added when I bought my 00 LS is a set of mudflaps - front and rear. I bought them from a Lexus dealer in Victoria BC and they should also be available Lexus dealers in the U.K. or Europe where they were standard. The same mudflaps fit the 95 through 00 LS400 and they are not cheap -- I paid over US$360 in 2003 for a set of four. But I sometimes drive on some really crappy gravel (or worse) roads pursuing one of my hobbies.

There were all sorts of wacky accessories from aftermarket companies for the LS400 back in the 1990s. Unfortunately, you are about 10 years late.

Junction Produce makes a ton of stuff like what you describe.

http://www.junction-produce.co.jp/english/...ogue/index.html

I have JP Curtains on all 4 windows, JP Neck pads on all 4 seats. 2 satin comfort cushions in the back seats, and a FUSA hanging from my mirror.

I don't have any pics of everything yet but it's amazing.

If you want I can get you in touch with my JP guy at clublexus.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

I don't know about "bling" but some little mods I've done to my 91 LS400 are 35% tint on the driver/passanger windows, 20% on the rear three, and 50% on the entire winshield. I've also replaced the ignition light with an LED, cost me a whole $2. And I've also got a Garmin GPS unit and a radar/laser detector if that counts as "bling."

EMDC what product did you use to tint your tails? and is it pupleish at night??

My sister wants to tint the tails on her 300. I have experience with VHT nightshade, but am just curious about other products.

( highjack B) )

My sister wants to tint the tails on her 300. I have experience with VHT nightshade, but am just curious about other products.

( highjack B) )

You can only hijack my thread if you give me those curtain photos you promised! :):)

Oh yes.. I have taken some with my cell phone cause my dumb camera died .... :P

They are ok. I'm going to charge my camera though. I'll end up starting a new thread about it. ;)

Adding rear seat heaters wouldn't be much trouble. Seat heaters are about $120 per seating position + whatever your upholstery guy would charge to put them in. I'm thinking about tinting my windows, but 40% on the front windows is what's legal here, and that's just not dark enough for me. Then again, it probably would be good for protecting the interior.

Adding rear seat heaters wouldn't be much trouble. Seat heaters are about $120 per seating position + whatever your upholstery guy would charge to put them in. I'm thinking about tinting my windows, but 40% on the front windows is what's legal here, and that's just not dark enough for me. Then again, it probably would be good for protecting the interior.

Do you have a URL for the seat heaters you're referring to?

Yep, I bought one (round switches) for my driver's seat. I can take pictures of mine if you want to see what the componets look like in real life. I rigged it up the other day just to make sure it works, and wow, it gets hot instantly. I haven't had the time to drop the seat off to the upholstery guy for installation, but he told me he wants $130 to install the heater in the drivers seat (I'll do the wiring myself).

http://www.leatherseats.com/section.asp?sid=7

As for my bling, I hardwired my X50 radar in. I get a lot of compliments on it since it looks so much better without the dangling cord...

IMG_3028.jpg

Yep, I bought one (round switches) for my driver's seat. I can take pictures of mine if you want to see what the componets look like in real life. I rigged it up the other day just to make sure it works, and wow, it gets hot instantly. I haven't had the time to drop the seat off to the upholstery guy for installation, but he told me he wants $130 to install the heater in the drivers seat (I'll do the wiring myself).

http://www.leatherseats.com/section.asp?sid=7

As for my bling, I hardwired my X50 radar in. I get a lot of compliments on it since it looks so much better without the dangling cord...

IMG_3028.jpg

I'm talking about installing a rear seat heating package. My dream would be to get one off of a UK spec car and implant it into mine with all of the factory wiring and stuff. I'm probably just better saving up for an LS430 with the ultraluxury package.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a vendor that sells Lexus interior accessories? I can't seem to find any except for Junction Produce (and their stuff seems waayyyyy overpriced).

I'm not talking about high end stuff, just maybe a couple of pillows that have a Lexus emblem embroidered on there, etc.

I've seen power rear sunshades a couple places on the internet; but I don't know if you'd be able to find a place to put the switch.

These guys have a couple different sizes:

http://www.autoshades.com/miva/merchant.mv...Category_Code=R

and this guy is on myspace but it looks easy to install, and the remote is wireless:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=20490513

and then there is the old manual solution

http://www.autosunshades.net/

I might pick up one of these for my other car since it spends more time on the street now. Rear sunshades seem to be impossible to find in stores these days. Good luck!

( highjack B) )

I have used the niteshades as well and this time I couldnt find any, I used regular indoor/outdoor spray paint and did 3 light coats. It worked exactly as well as the nightshades. I truly think niteshades IS regular spray paint.

Sorry to answer the hijack :P