Starter Problems

kashife

Hello, I am curious to know what I should do, tonight my car didnt start and I figured it was the battery coz it did this last year also during snow and freezing temps. I bought a new battery last year, this year again we have frigid temp (tonight it is 15f), but when the triple guy came to give me a jump he said looks like the starter and not the battery, he brought in a rod cranked the starter while simulstaneously chargin the battery as well.

So the car did start after that and it started one hour later also. so I was thinking if its the started the car wouldnt have started again.Could he have been just trying to get me to go to this mechanic shop, coz he gave me his shops card and said to tell his name when I go there. so what do I do just get the battery replaced again or get the starter changed also? any advise, suggestions or instructions are highly appreciated. Thanks.

"he brought in a rod cranked the starter" Do you mean that he hit the starter with the bar? If that is the case, then yes, sounds like the starter is going out. Hitting the starter is one way of telling when it is starting to go out. The fact that it started a little while latter is typical symptom. If you want to make sure, put a bar in your trunk and crack the starter the next time it acts up, just make sure that you stay away from the battery cable with the bar.

Hello, I am curious to know what I should do, tonight my car didnt start and I figured it was the battery coz it did this last year also during snow and freezing temps. I bought a new battery last year, this year again we have frigid temp (tonight it is 15f), but when the triple guy came to give me a jump he said looks like the starter and not the battery, he brought in a rod cranked the starter while simulstaneously chargin the battery as well.

So the car did start after that and it started one hour later also. so I was thinking if its the started the car wouldnt have started again.Could he have been just trying to get me to go to this mechanic shop, coz he gave me his shops card and said to tell his name when I go there. so what do I do just get the battery replaced again or get the starter changed also? any advise, suggestions or instructions are highly appreciated. Thanks.

It could also possibly be your alternator.

I would also check the relay to make sure it's not the prob. Have both the batt and alt load tested. If they check out, then the starter is suspect. If banging the starter gets it working then it's likely on it's way out.

First of all, even the cheapest battery last over two to three years unless you are constantly running your electrical items with engine off. The starter will start or it is dead no in betweens. Sometimes the starter solenoid may get stuck in which case a good whack with a tire iron should free it.

It seems like not enough juice is going to your starter due to low temperature, bad connection or corrosion of the battery terminal clamps. I would clean the terminals and the battery clamps by brushing them with a solution of water and baking soda to dissolve the acid. The negative one is notorious for corrosion. Use a battery terminal brush to clean the terminals and the battery clamps to a shine. Lubricate the terminals and the battery clamps with Vaseline petroleum jelly or buy those red and green battery terminal pads and put them on to reduce corrosion. You have to do this every year or whenever you see those white corrosion on the battery terminal clamps.

If you car is old the battery clamps might be all mangled up. Since the original battery terminal clamps are made out of stamp metal with little battery contact, you might want to change the battery terminal clamps to a solid aluminum or brass battery terminal clamps. You can find them at a good auto parts store or car stereo stores. Remember that the negative and positive battery terminal clamps are different diameter so don't be cute and buy a pair of the same. The positive battery terminal clamps is bigger in diameter. While you're at it you might as well change the positive and negative battery cables for a new and better electrical connection. Make sure you use wire gauge #4 or thicker (the smaller the gauge the thinker the wire).

If it is the starter it is probably the contacts, Two bolts and unhook the leads and the starter is out. here is info on the contacts of the starter:

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/instructions.html

By the way batteries can be bad, I used some Kragens (checkered flag) batteries here and those things were major pain. Failed every 8 months.

Best batteries I have used are Costco, Walmart, and Sears diehards/