Thinking Of Buying A 2004 Es330 With 96kmiles: What Problems Can I Exp

MichelNC

Dear all,

as the title says, I''m considering buying a 2004 ES330 with 96,000 miles. What problems can I expect? For a comparable price, I''m also considering a 2004 Maxima with about 65,000 miles. How would the reliability compare?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Michel

MichelNC,

My wife has had her ES330 for 5 years now, has put 85 000 km (52 800 mi) on it and it is her second Lexus ES. She put 269 000 km (167 000 mi) on her first, a 97. Neither car has required anything other than routine maintenance, nor returns to the dealership for warranty work. Of all of the cars that we have ever owned these have been the most trouble free and most enjoyable to own. When the time comes to replace her present ES, we will buy another ES, and we will buy it from the same dealership.

In the past I have owned several Nissan vehicles, none of which were Maxima's, and presently have a 1990 300 ZX as a toy. They have proven to be good, solid vehicles, and have had some repairs which don't fall into the routine maintenance category, but very few. From time to time my wife's work requires her to rent a vehicle for long distance travel, and twice she has brought home a Maxima, which I've had the chance to drive. They were both impressive vehicles and certainly did get up and go.

Personally, I would pick the ES as a first choice, and the Maxima would get the second place.

Good Luck with which ever one you choose!

Dear all,

as the title says, I''m considering buying a 2004 ES330 with 96,000 miles. What problems can I expect? For a comparable price, I''m also considering a 2004 Maxima with about 65,000 miles. How would the reliability compare?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Michel

I would definitely buy the es330 over the maxima. No doubt, maximas are pretty good cars, but when it comes against the lexus es330, theres no chance. The es330 are more reliable and more trouble free. I currently have a 99 es300 with 86k and it runs excellent. I havent gotten any major work done, just the regular maintenance. Also look on the flip side, your getting a es330 which is a LEXUS, and is in the competition league with BMW and MERCEDEZ. Lexus is a luxury vehicle with a great sporty look and performance. Lexus lasts well over 200000miles. But before you purchase any car, make sure to get the CARFAX, and get the car checked out by a professional and well trained mechanic. Do not take it to a mechanic recommended by the seller. These 2 tasks are the most important in your decision. By the way, whats the asking price for the es330 and the maxima?

Hi folks,

actually there are 3 cars that I am considering, all in the $12,500-$13,000 range, the ES330 with 96K, the Maxima with 67K, and a Volvo S60 2004 with 45K.

Indeed I expected bias in the answer Maxima vs Lexus, but I also expected details about what goes wrong after 100K. Apparent not much! Thanks for your help so far.

Hi folks,

actually there are 3 cars that I am considering, all in the $12,500-$13,000 range, the ES330 with 96K, the Maxima with 67K, and a Volvo S60 2004 with 45K.

Indeed I expected bias in the answer Maxima vs Lexus, but I also expected details about what goes wrong after 100K. Apparent not much! Thanks for your help so far.

How can we know what goes wrong after 100K miles on ES330 engine when that engine got out in 2004 and probably most of us never got to that mileage so far.

Welcome to LOC Michel.

I would stay clear of the Volvo personally.

I owned a 2001 Maxima & had trouble with it....and that was my first & only car I purchased brand new (moved to a 2001 ES & now I own a 2005 ES). The Maxima maybe more powerful, but no where near the class of car the ES 330 is overall. Not to mention the Maxima will suffer from horrible torque steer with it's 3.5L V6.

Do you have the detailed service history for the Lexus you are considering? The main concern as mentioned above would be has the timing belt been replaced & of course it's overall condition.

What is some of the specific equipment on this specific Lexus? IE: Nav, adjustable suspension etc?

:cheers:

We have had 3 used - 94, 98, and currently have a 2001 ES300 - great cars - but they are pricey to work on if you take to dealer. 90K is a big service, plus timing belt is probably due. If 90K, Timing belt, Trans flush / refill, and Throttle body cleaning has been done, I would not be afraid of the miles. If not - could be looking at $2,000 bill for service............

We have had 3 used - 94, 98, and currently have a 2001 ES300 - great cars - but they are pricey to work on if you take to dealer. 90K is a big service, plus timing belt is probably due. If 90K, Timing belt, Trans flush / refill, and Throttle body cleaning has been done, I would not be afraid of the miles. If not - could be looking at $2,000 bill for service............

Hello tkbalt, thanks for the descriptive post. This is the kind of answer I had in mind. I will look out for these issues.

Thanks also to other posters who contributed to the thread.

Best wishes,

Michel