Getting The Itch...looking At A Preowned Sclass

LEXIRX330

Ok...getting towards the end of the lease on my (wifey's) c class. Well since we have had the little one the Lexus has become the baby mobile...and the C class has been my daily comuter... :huh:

I am looking at a preowned S430 4matic...wanted to see what my Lexus friends thought and see what advice you guys can offer to me. I can get this S430 which has been certified but with out the certified warranty and just the remainder of the 50,000 warranty for $26,000 + tax tags, or I can pay 2k for the certification. I don't think that I will pay 2K, think I can find a better warranty. Well guys tell me what you think...

I have looked at some Lexus preowned too...and I am sure after buying my RX prewowned that I am going to go this route VS leasing another car...just like the look of the S class better than the LS? :blushing:

Don't :chairshot: to bad...

If an S-Class is what you want, by all means go for it. Just be sure to research the car's service history thoroughly and spend some time on the S-Class forums so you'll know what to expect from a maintenance cost perspective. The more you can do yourself in terms of turning wrenches, the more you can cost-justify your decision. Now is the best time to purchase a still-under-factory-warranty vehicle that I've ever seen. A week before Christmas, we purchased a showroom-perfect 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 with only 18,000 miles for mere peanuts. I refused to bargain with the Jaguar dealership and they had to make a decision to either accept my one-and-only offer or watch me walk away. They accepted within 15 minutes. As the consumer, you are in the drivers seat so use every bit of the power at your command....

I'm also considering an extended warranty on the Jag since the electronic modules are so freakin' complicated and interspersed with each other. Never had (or needed) one before so I really don't want to have to resort to that. I have six months of factory warranty left so I have some time to do the research. Make sure you're in the same position with your deal as well - the more factory warranty you have left, the longer you'll have to shake out the car and make the best decision....

I've spent some time talking with some of the third-party extended warranty vendors out there and the two that I trust the most at this point are as follows:

Hal Moses, President

Auto Advantage Inc.

autowarranties.com

800-933-9190

SmartAutoWarranty.com

877-739-8363

Ask for Stephanie

Be sure to obtain, read, and understand all of the fine print. Some expensive and critical items that you would expect to be covered may not be (such as the exhaust system). I'm not saying at this point that I would purchase the product from either of these two sources, but they have certainly been the most helpful and understanding. I will continue to research these two sources over the coming months - both of them have quoted me much better extended warranty packages than my Jaguar dealership has. Of course, I haven't gone back to the Jaguar dealership to negotiate a better price on their extended warranty. Armed with the third-party extended warranty information that I now have and will continue to obtain, Jaguar will quickly realize that if they want to sell me their extended warranty, their pricing must become much more competitive with what is out there on the open market. I expect that they will quickly drop their quotes significantly. Extended warranties are a big upsell for dealerships and there is much room for price negotiation if you've done your homework in advance. Bottom line - take your time, do your homework, and play these extended warranty companies like a virtuoso violin to drastically reduce your costs if you do indeed decide to spring for an extended warranty. As I said earlier, I'm hoping that my continued research will eventually indicate that I don't need one for this Jaguar. We'll see - I have plenty of time to decide....

Hey...thanks RX.

I have looked at the Jags too. I am playing with them on the price on this...I love negotiating...I also am not in any hurry. I have about 8-9 months left on the lease. If I can I would like to get something sooner.

As far as turning wrenches...not that I would not want to...just don't know how too. I have a good independent guy I use for the normal stuff.

Still thinking.

My God, your RX is pink!

What can anybody say? It all depends on what you like and what your priorities are.

The early W220 S-Class had quite a few issues but I have read that quality improved towards the end of the run. A neighbor two doors down has an 06 S500 4Matic (which replaced an 85 420SEL) and it certainly is a beautiful and comfortable car -- the old guy is really into Mercedes and also has a late 90s W140 S500 which I really like.

People often comment about how nice S-Class Mercedes cars are for larger people. Even the 450SEL I owned way back in the 1970s had front seats that could hold about the biggest butt around. Lexus front seats are not exactly generous in size. Mercedes front seats almost always can provide substantially more front legroom than a Lexus -- their seat tracks go back "forever".

I've owned two used Mercedes and bought only one new -- back in 1979. I have bought one used Lexus LS (my current 00 LS in 2003) and purchased one new one -- a 90 LS400 in 1990. So ... I've spend about 20 years as a Mercedes owner and 20 years as a Lexus owner. The biggest difference I've seen between the two brands is that, adjusted for inflation, I have spent far, far less time and money maintaining Lexus cars than Mercedes cars.

But I still like Mercedes cars -- maybe it's just nostalgia as I sort of grew up around them. Crap, I've still got Mercedes parts scattered around and its been 19 years since I last owned one. Hmmm, if only I had bought that perfect, low mileage white 1963 Mercedes 300SL convertible that was on the Kansas City Merc dealer's showroom floor back in 1969 -- asking price was $7,500. A red 1963 300SL recently sold for $400,000.

I think if my "right brain" was in control, I'd be buying Mercedes. However, my "left brain" is dominant so maybe that's why I've been buying Lexus.

I've always liked that generation S class too and I've looked at a few of them since I'm starting to look around.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe I'm alone in this, but that generation S Class is starting to get outdated in terms of its styling. I don't know why I feel that way, but for some reason the 04-06 LS430s seem to hold their style to me a little better...I dunno.

But they are great cars, not as reliable as a Lexus but the newer ones are better than the 00s, 01s etc.

I've always liked that generation S class too and I've looked at a few of them since I'm starting to look around.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe I'm alone in this, but that generation S Class is starting to get outdated in terms of its styling. I don't know why I feel that way, but for some reason the 04-06 LS430s seem to hold their style to me a little better...I dunno.

But they are great cars, not as reliable as a Lexus but the newer ones are better than the 00s, 01s etc.

I am still negotiating with them. If they take my C class in and eat the remainder of my lease about 8-9 months...then I think I am going to get it but we are about $2,500 away and they have dropped $1,500 already. I am in no hurry so we will see what we see! The only thing that I am wondering about the warranty they are willing to put a 1 year 100k mile warranty on it. I think if I get them to drop the warranty I will get the car much less but just tossing around ideas. Typical car sales people they called and told me the car was sold. Then called me back in 2 hours and said that the deal fell through and I must be destined to get this car...what B S!

post-22186-1232472672_thumb.jpg

That sure is a pretty car...

Have fun buying in this market! Shoot them an offer that embarasses you to even make...! So low that you have to write it down and slide it across the table at them because you can't keep a straight face!

I am...it's fun. I am doing it all with emails...if I don't get it no big deal will get another one later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...