Has Anyone Fixed The White Dust On Dash Problem?

Like many 2007 RX owners, we are suffering from accumulated white particles on the dash. Has anyone successfully fixed this problem?

Some dealers attribute the white dust to the deterioration of the anti-bacterial coating on the evaporator. This sound like pretty harmful stuff to breathe. Has anyone investigated if it is hazardous to our health?

Thank you for your advice!

Like many 2007 RX owners, we are suffering from accumulated white particles on the dash. Has anyone successfully fixed this problem?

Some dealers attribute the white dust to the deterioration of the anti-bacterial coating on the evaporator. This sound like pretty harmful stuff to breathe. Has anyone investigated if it is hazardous to our health?

I had my 07 RX350 in right before xmas and had the evap core replaced. There is a TSB for it and it took about 4 days to get it back. The dealer is reluctant since it's very labor intensive, but push them. I had to bring mine in 2x to get them to fix it - first time they said it was just dust and wiped it off.

Well, it's been about 3 weeks and guess what - still white particles on the dash - not as many, but I haven't used it that much. I've also contacted Lexus to get the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the chemicals in the coating but have not received it yet. This is my main concern as I would like to know what I've been breathing for 2 years.

I have the same problem. I have a 2008 RX350. I took a sample of the dust prior to taking it in for replacement. I want to know what the dust is also. Please let me know, my wife has a lung problem which started about the same time we noticed the dust. I can get it analized if necessary. Thanks.

I had my 07 RX350 in right before xmas and had the evap core replaced. There is a TSB for it and it took about 4 days to get it back. The dealer is reluctant since it's very labor intensive, but push them. I had to bring mine in 2x to get them to fix it - first time they said it was just dust and wiped it off.

Well, it's been about 3 weeks and guess what - still white particles on the dash - not as many, but I haven't used it that much. I've also contacted Lexus to get the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the chemicals in the coating but have not received it yet. This is my main concern as I would like to know what I've been breathing for 2 years.

I have the same problem. I have a 2008 RX350. I took a sample of the dust prior to taking it in for replacement. I want to know what the dust is also. Please let me know, my wife has a lung problem which started about the same time we noticed the dust. I can get it analized if necessary. Thanks.

No MSDS will be coming from Lexus. Their legal department will not allow it out and they got VERY touchy when I asked for it. Makes me wonder what's in that white stuff.....

They have to give you the MSDS sheet if you have been exposed to a chemical. I have a sample of the dust so maybe I can get it analized if necessary. Maybe a doctor can request the MSDS sheet from them. The next step would be an attorney get involved to shake them up. I am calling Lexus now to request the MSDS and see what they tell me. Rick

No MSDS will be coming from Lexus. Their legal department will not allow it out and they got VERY touchy when I asked for it. Makes me wonder what's in that white stuff.....

• 1 month later...

It took so much time, but since Lexus finally sent an official letter to me regarding the white dust, I want to share the information with all who are suffering from the same issue.

They say the white dust results from the corrosion of an antibacterial coating on the interior of the HVAC evaporator. The coating emitting from the ventilation system is identified as alminum hydroxide. Due to its use in digestive medicines as an antacid, they claim that it is not harmful. However, I am still concerned, because the substance is accumulating in our respiratory system, rather than our stomach.

Anyway, my problematic evaporator was replaced with the evaporator of 2007 LS, which they claim has had no problems yet. But, I have seen a little amount of white dust on the dash. I am not sure if it is left-over from the vent ducts or new stuff from the replaced evaporator.

I love the car, but this grueling problem makes me think to sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

I love forums. There is so much information to be learned.

I have had my 2007 RX350 since August of 2006. My wife and I were pretty excited on the first night of ownership, except for the fact that she had a real bad coughing attack on the way home. We chalked it off to a lot of allergy related stuff in the air in the NW suburbs of Chicago during the summer. Little did we know that these coughing spells would be a very big part of our lives in the next 32 months. The weird thing was that if my wife was sitting in the front passenger seat, she coughed hard and was miserable. No so, from the drivers seat. I brought this to the attention of the Lexus dealer on our first service visit, as well as the other 6 or 7 visits since. Each time, they somehow managed to change the air filter element (mostly at no cost) and did admit that the filter housing is behind the glove box and is where the main fresh air enters the car. On one long road trip, she put her feet up on the dash for several minutes. I didn't much think anything of it, except the next day, there were all these white marks where her feet had been. We both thought that was very odd indeed. Her coughing got so bad that I found myself in the passenger seat most of the time. Our drives in the RX350 were becoming uncomfortable for my wife, even in the drivers seat. I continued to complain each time I took the car in for service, but all that could be done is change the filter element...with no positive results.

Then I found this thread and everything has changed. I read with interest about the "white dust" on the dash. Hmmm, the same stuff that we saw on our dash. Now some answers were finally realized, thanks to these forums.

I just got off the phone with my Lexus service rep. I had all these notes about the evaporator core, but before I could finish explaining my call, the service rep said, "when can you bring the car in"? He stated what I had learned about the job being labor intensive and offered the loaner. I also mentioned about the residual dust being in the venting system and he assured me that everything would be taken care of after installing the new, non porous, evaporator core and cleaning the ducting areas.

I will be interested in seeing how much this fix helps my wife. I am also interested in any information out there pertaining to the possibility of problems inhaling the "aluminum hydroxide" flakes from the old evaporator core.

In additions - I had my dealer shampoo the entire interior and replace the mats. They did this on the second trip back when they didn't properly clean the vents as that isn't part of the TSB. You can be sure that white powder is all over your interior and will keep blowing around when you open a door or the trunk lid.

Also, be careful to check your car when you get it back. Mine had a chip in the steering wheel, small cuts in the glove compartment door, a rattle, and the door over the mirror switch wouldn't go down all the way.

Lexus would not give out the MSDS on the white powder. They claim it's the same thing as Tums - but, I wonder about the adhesive that held the Tums coating to the core, they wouldn't even discuss that one....

In additions - I had my dealer shampoo the entire interior and replace the mats. They did this on the second trip back when they didn't properly clean the vents as that isn't part of the TSB. You can be sure that white powder is all over your interior and will keep blowing around when you open a door or the trunk lid.

Also, be careful to check your car when you get it back. Mine had a chip in the steering wheel, small cuts in the glove compartment door, a rattle, and the door over the mirror switch wouldn't go down all the way.

Lexus would not give out the MSDS on the white powder. They claim it's the same thing as Tums - but, I wonder about the adhesive that held the Tums coating to the core, they wouldn't even discuss that one....

Thanks for the additions. I think it is going to take an "interested" lawyer to get everything that is on the MSDS. Know any politicians down there in Atlanta that might help?

Here's the MSDS for Calcium Carbonate - the chemical that Lexus says the white dust is made of -

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/c0330.htm

Inhalation:

Excessive concentrations of a nuisance dust may cause nuisance condition such as coughing, sneezing, and nasal irritation.

First Aid Measures

Inhalation:

Remove to fresh air. Get medical attention for any breathing difficulty.

Ingestion:

If large amounts were swallowed, give water to drink and get medical advice.

Skin Contact:

Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Eye Contact:

Wash thoroughly with running water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Here's the MSDS for Calcium Carbonate - the chemical that Lexus says the white dust is made of -

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/c0330.htm

Inhalation:

Excessive concentrations of a nuisance dust may cause nuisance condition such as coughing, sneezing, and nasal irritation.

First Aid Measures

Inhalation:

Remove to fresh air. Get medical attention for any breathing difficulty.

Ingestion:

If large amounts were swallowed, give water to drink and get medical advice.

Skin Contact:

Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Eye Contact:

Wash thoroughly with running water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

How large are the articles of dust? I have recurring dust on my dashboard after a relatively short time. Dealer changed A/C air filter, dust continues, dealer says it is 'regular dust'....

• 3 weeks later...
See post #25 in this thread for some pics:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry246855

Oh my goodness - I thought I was going crazy!!! I literally thought I had gotten a tissue or something like that stuck in my vent and it that was the white stuff! I bought my 2007 rx350 in 2006 and I still have white particles to this very day!

I cant believe it.... I guess I would look a little crazy going in the shop now with this info :(

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone send Lexus medical bills for reimbursement? I just had this replaced in my 07 rx400h after a trip to the er, doctor visits, inhalers and a diagnosis of a strange sudden occurence of Asthma at the age of 47. I've had my car back for 2 weeks and haven't had any breathing problems yet.......

Did anyone send Lexus medical bills for reimbursement? I just had this replaced in my 07 rx400h after a trip to the er, doctor visits, inhalers and a diagnosis of a strange sudden occurence of Asthma at the age of 47. I've had my car back for 2 weeks and haven't had any breathing problems yet.......

My recommendation - open a case with Lexus directly - not just the dealer. My car has been in three times for the problem and it still gets the white particles on the dash - though less now. And, the large particles that you see aren't the real problem, it's the smaller ones that blow around the interior that you're breathing, getting in your eyes, etc.... I think they should be taking these cars back...

It took so much time, but since Lexus finally sent an official letter to me regarding the white dust, I want to share the information with all who are suffering from the same issue.

They say the white dust results from the corrosion of an antibacterial coating on the interior of the HVAC evaporator. The coating emitting from the ventilation system is identified as aluminum hydroxide. Due to its use in digestive medicines as an antacid, they claim that it is not harmful. However, I am still concerned, because the substance is accumulating in our respiratory system, rather than our stomach.

Does anybody know the difference between "Aluminum Hydroxide and "Calcium Carbonate" which is also mentioned? Did Lexus actually send out the MSDS with a reference that the white dust WAS Calcium Carbonate? I agree, it isn't just the anti-bactierial flakes, but what was the makeup of the adhesive to hold it on the core?

I am contacting a medical expert.

My wife has had a bad, bad cough that won't go away. There is a possibility that her lungs have been damaged by something?

John

• 2 months later...

Thanks all for the great information.

My 3 year old daughter coughs all the time when in our RX400h. We noticed the white dust and the dealer changed the cabin filter. When I told them about my daughter coughing in the RX, the service advisor told me to take it up with my daughters pediatrician. It only happened in the RX and though it might be the carpet or glue used in the carpet. I replaced the mats with the all weather mats but that didn't help. I called Lexus directly and the dealer called me 48 hours later and told me that they would change the evaporator and tubing.

I see in this post and agree that the vents should be cleaned and the carpets should be shampooed. I will ask but not sure what the dealer will say; and whether I should push the dealer or call Lexus directly.

• 12 years later...

This has happened to my 2019 Jeep Compass And Jeep won't help they say it is coming in from outside air. Had system taken apart shook evaporater coil over black paper and sure enough it just falls out of it like it is snowing. Jeep does nit care and neither does the dealership. All lying trying to cover it up