Brake Pads

Hi Everyone! I have a 93 Lexus SC400. I need some help and advice on changing my brake pads. Any brands that you can recommend? I planned on trying to do this on my own with some help of course. Any special tips or advice that you can give me would be very helpful as well. Thanks! :D

Hi Everyone! I have a 93 Lexus SC400. I need some help and advice on changing my brake pads. Any brands that you can recommend? I planned on trying to do this on my own with some help of course. Any special tips or advice that you can give me would be very helpful as well. Thanks! :D

With as much dissatisfaction with aftermarket pads I've seen expressed on forums, I don't know of a good reason not to buy OEM pads.

Lots of discount parts websites have them such as: http://www.lexuspartsonline.com ($55.96 w/o shipping) or http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/ ($131.20 - Ouch!). I see OEM pads for your 93 SC400 on eBay today for $42.70 including shipping from Anaheim, California.

Others seem to have different opinions but I've had better results on Lexus cars when I have had the rotors turned and trued up.

I've stopped doing brake jobs myself since I don't have the equipment to turn rotors and don't want to spend the time taking the rotors to someone who can. Plus, the indie shop that replaces pads and turns rotors for me charges so little for a brake job that it is not worth my time to do it myself -- $200 for a front brake job on my 00 LS400 including OEM pads and turning the rotors. My attitude might be different if the front brake pads didn't last a long time -- the original front pads on my 00 LS were first replaced at over 71,000 miles and it looks like the original rear pads will last beyond 125,000 miles.

Assuming your 93 SC400 brakes are similar to the ones on the 90 LS400 I had for 13+ years, I don't think there is anything particularly special about changing the pads. Don't forget your brake fluid -- it should be flushed and replaced on a regular basis and is a safety issue. Check your maintenance schedule for the recommended brake fluid replacement interval.

As 1990 suggests, stay with oem pads. A couple of additional items would be to clean and grease the calipers/backing plates, and if you're not planning a fluid flush/replacement, before pushing the pistons back in, bleed some fluid at the calipers to get rid of cooked fluid instead of forcing it back up throught the line. Then top up with fresh fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the best luck with Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads. They hold up well, don't squeak and are not too bad for brake dust. You will need an Allen wrench, large C Clamp or the brake pad clamp and I would recommend 2 cans of good quality brake parts cleaner. You will also need some way to hold the caliper once you have it removed from the rotor. Good luck.

Let me know if you need something I can give you my number in case you run into problems.

Catfish46,

95 SC 400