Adding A Backup Camera To A Canadian 03 Lx470

aff12003

My Canadian 03 LX470 is not equip with a backup camera but the Lexus Navigation System seem to be capability of displaying input from that camera (In the DISPLAY screen the “Rear OFF” button is green with black letters). I assume that button is “blacked out’ because there is no camera attached. Can any US owner tell me which leads are used for this camera? I would like to install a backup camera onto the existing system.

Thx.

My Canadian 03 LX470 is not equip with a backup camera but the Lexus Navigation System seem to be capability of displaying input from that camera (In the DISPLAY screen the “Rear OFF” button is green with black letters). I assume that button is “blacked out’ because there is no camera attached. Can any US owner tell me which leads are used for this camera? I would like to install a backup camera onto the existing system.

Thx.

I may have a factory camera for you, I'll look into this for you. B)

Thx.

I too would like to add a back up camera to my 2003 US LX470. Does anyone know if the wires excist to add in a back up camera and have it triggered to turn on when you put it into reverse?

AFF12003,

On my old RX330, the "rear off" button was for the rear flip down screen and I'm assuming that is what this is for as well. Not for the back up camera because these body style LX's dont offer the option of being able to turn on the back up camera without having to put it into reverse to trigger it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx.

I too would like to add a back up camera to my 2003 US LX470. Does anyone know if the wires excist to add in a back up camera and have it triggered to turn on when you put it into reverse?

AFF12003,

On my old RX330, the "rear off" button was for the rear flip down screen and I'm assuming that is what this is for as well. Not for the back up camera because these body style LX's dont offer the option of being able to turn on the back up camera without having to put it into reverse to trigger it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have rearview cameras with install instructions for the LX, PM, EM or leave your EM address for details :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. "Rear Off" is to turn off the input from the RSES.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx.

AFF12003,

I have rearview cameras with install instructions for the LX, PM, EM or leave your EM address for details :cheers:

DCFISH Would you be able to ship a BU camera overseas? I have a 2003 LX with no stock camera but sure want one tapped into the nav screen. I tried sourcing one before but it looks like you would need a camera control module besides the camera itself.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one guy who has installed a camera in a '03 (can't remember if it was a '03 nav or '04 nav). The '04 w/ camera has two ECU's while the '03 has only one. The good news is the one the '03 has is identical to that on the '04, so you just need to buy the camera and ECU. I know he had a thread on it on ih8mud.com way back, maybe a year or two ago. I just remember you need a dedicated ECU to run the camera...it's not just a matter of buying the camera and hoping it plugs in.

• 2 weeks later...
There's one guy who has installed a camera in a '03 (can't remember if it was a '03 nav or '04 nav). The '04 w/ camera has two ECU's while the '03 has only one. The good news is the one the '03 has is identical to that on the '04, so you just need to buy the camera and ECU. I know he had a thread on it on ih8mud.com way back, maybe a year or two ago. I just remember you need a dedicated ECU to run the camera...it's not just a matter of buying the camera and hoping it plugs in.

Thanks, Jim.

• 12 years later...
On 1/16/2009 at 5:27 AM, dcfish said:

Great info.  Just to confirm: I CAN add a backup camera the factory system in my 2003 LX 470.?.?.

Please let me know. Also, do you still have the cameras and instructions? Thanks