Egr Tube/gasket Replacement

jcrome04

how can you tell the pipe is leaking... with out doing the diagnostic?????? if possible

on my old 97, I used about 2 feet of vacuum hose, put one end to my ear and the other end down by the tube.... I could hear it spewing.... it was an easy fix, remove the right cat and you are 4 bolts from home, two easy and two tough,,,, about 3 hours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AM ALSO HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY EGR TUBE ON MY 96 LS400... DO YOU MIND SENDING ME THE STEPS PLEASE

Really their are no steps.... you know how to jack the car up and put it on proper jack stands.

then you remove the right hand (passenger side) cat/converter..and you will probably twist a bolt off,

then remove the two bottom bolts (easy) and then the two top bolts (very hard for me)

replace and you are done....

it just takes time, you can do it.

I AM ALSO HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY EGR TUBE ON MY 96 LS400... DO YOU MIND SENDING ME THE STEPS PLEASE

I just saw this:

Last year I had the pleasure (exagerrated) of replacing the starter on my 1996 LS400. It turned out that my EGR tube was damaged as well. I can tell you that I did not have to drop the tranny and/or the CAT. Obviously you will have to remove the front passenger tire. I had enough room to loosen the two bolts on the bottom of the EGR tube. I sprayed Liquid Wrench on the bolts and waited about 30 minutes before attempting it. I managed to reach the bolts by working my right hand from the front area of the EGR tube. I then used a deep well socket to loosen the bolts. Actually it was mor difficult to loosen the top bolts because the firewell is so close. I then fed the new tube from the top. You may have to wiggle it a bit but you will get it. I was amazed at how easy it was. On my first attempt, I attempted to loosen the CAT and it wasn't pretty. The bolts are not easy to break. Thank God I took a break. I could have created some unnecessary damage

maybe this will help