Egr Tube/gasket Replacement

jcrome04

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
the 1st gen is much more complicated to replace since it's one long HUGE tube! :(

My pipe is cracked as well and I am wondering if that would cause my car to misfire and a check engine light to come on.

I have a 95' ls400. My car has bouncy idle and i put some jb weld type epoxy for high heat ( I know temporary but that car felt a lot better)

Did you have any sort of misfire /bouncy idle with your pipe cracked?

No misfire. No bounce.

Just crappy sound, and less efficiency.

The CEL comes on for specific reasons though... Go get it checked, and it will tell you EXACTLY why it's coming on.

Like after I got my EGR tube fixed, I got CEL codes P0420/30. Which are catalytic inefficiency codes, meaning the Post-cat O2 sensors are picking up that the cats are not working right anymore. So I replaced the gaskets after the cats. (Since the mech that worked on my car had took the pipes off of the cats, and broken the seal of the gaskets.) And what do ya know! The CEL hasn't come back on. Cost me about $16 to have the gasket shipped to me from Lexus of Seattle.

Old gasket (yes... that's it) VS. New gasket

0718091205.jpg

I pulled and deleted my EGR last year on my '92, but for those asking there's a lot of hype behind the work. You do not have to remove the transmission or even lower it, but you will need to remove the passenger side catalytic converter as there's no room and not a suitable tool made to get at it the pipe fittings. When you do this, you'll probably break at least one exhaust stud on the manifold. I broke all three. Be prepared to drill them all and replace with bolts/nuts.

There's also a bolt securing the pipe to the back of the head, you can feel it from the top but can't see it, you can see it from below but can't reach it. It's about a mile long too IIRC.

The rest is cake. I had my welder just weld a plate on the plenum where the pipe and valve used to reside. No CEL, passes emissions fine. It's a lot more reassuring to know I won't need to do this again instead of the replacement pipe cracking in another 10 years.

If you're going to spend money on a delete kit, and take the time to get in there and remove the old pipe....

....Why not just replace it??? It would be just as easy.

IMO, EGR delete is such a waste of time.

• 8 months later...
Jeez where did you find THIS dinosaur! hahaha
What Mel did is a beautiful thing. New members are always great, but a new member who actually uses the search feature, WOW!! Welcome aboard Mel! :cheers:

Ok, same issue for my 97 LS400. So, if anyone is listening my email is sql_longshot@yahoo.com. I'm always in trouble for something. Hopefully, I didn't commit a capital offense here. Hello everyone.

Ya know a little PB B'laster can go a lonnnnnnng way ;)

PB Blaster does nothing if the stud is corroded and heat cycled to death. All three of mine broke loose easily, but about midway through the stud just sheared off. Any exhaust hardware on a 20yr old does that.

Has anyone deleted their egr system? The kit from lextreme looks cool. I kinda want to try it. If there is a write up on removal could someone pm it to me. THX

Like I said on page two, yes, but you don't have to buy the kit. Just weld up both openings on the intake plenum. A good welder won't charge you half the kit price. If your pipe isn't cracked you can cut your own plate (just use the gasket as a template) and bolt it on to the end of the pipe, sealing it off. No need to remove the converter and risk breaking hardware.

Jeez where did you find THIS dinosaur! hahaha
What Mel did is a beautiful thing. New members are always great, but a new member who actually uses the search feature, WOW!! Welcome aboard Mel! :cheers:

i was told yesterday by a reliable mechanic I need the gasket that goes on passenger side from manifold to Cat then there is another gasket on the small tube(maybe egr he didnt know)going into the passenger side cat any help with that gasket name or something?

• 9 months later...

how can you tell the pipe is leaking... with out doing the diagnostic?????? if possible

on my old 97, I used about 2 feet of vacuum hose, put one end to my ear and the other end down by the tube.... I could hear it spewing.... it was an easy fix, remove the right cat and you are 4 bolts from home, two easy and two tough,,,, about 3 hours.

how can you tell the pipe is leaking... with out doing the diagnostic?????? if possible

on my old 97, I used about 2 feet of vacuum hose, put one end to my ear and the other end down by the tube.... I could hear it spewing.... it was an easy fix, remove the right cat and you are 4 bolts from home, two easy and two tough,,,, about 3 hours.