Egr Tube/gasket Replacement

jcrome04

Hello everyone!

I have a leak somewhere in my EGR piping. So I want to replace the piping and the gaskets. I'm very VERY sick of the nasty sound that has been progressively getting worse and worse.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me to all the parts I need? And hopefully help me out with part #'s!!

I guess all I need is the tube and gaskets... but when I look under the hood it looks like the pipe is in a couple different sections... from the intake manifold to somewhere, and from somewhere to the passenger exhaust manifold???

Would this be easy to do myself? It looks like a pain to get to... but in the end just a few bolts to remove and replace... does anyone have a walk through for the EGR tubing?

Here is a list of EGR parts from Carson.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0

Reminder...97 LS ~155k

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently getting to the exhaust manifold connection bolts is a pain, Lexus dealer told me they have a modified spanner and can do the job in 30 minutes!

Some one else said to remove the cat to gain access to them

Top connection is easy ( rear of intake manifold)

Only part # I have is for the intake gasket this is for a 1994 model LS400 25634-50010

This may help EGR pipe is near bottom right

cylinder.pdf

I was just wondering if anyone could point me to all the parts I need? And hopefully help me out with part #'s!!

I guess all I need is the tube and gaskets... but when I look under the hood it looks like the pipe is in a couple different sections... from the intake manifold to somewhere, and from somewhere to the passenger exhaust manifold???

Would this be easy to do myself? It looks like a pain to get to... but in the end just a few bolts to remove and replace... does anyone have a walk through for the EGR tubing?

Have you talked to Carson? I don't believe there is a gasket on the end that connects to the exhaust manifold. The pipe is in two sections. There is a very short one at top, and I hear it hardly ever breaks. The section that runs down to the exhaust manifold is the one that cracks. I remember a post a while back where you asked if any of this is covered in the repair manual, and it isn't (kinda like motor mounts...their going to lump that in with engine removal. no step by step for just that item). I have a tutorial that a LOC member from the UK sent me with pictures that I'd be glad to email to you if you want. He discusses exactly what he did, and it sounds like most of his trouble was because he was dealing with a RHD car.
I think I'll just let a dealership worry about replacing it.
I'd cap it off for $0 instead of bringing it to the dealer/shop. Plus, if you cap it and decide that you want the pipe back in there for whatever reason, you can always have the dealer do it later. I found an old wwest post where he stated that he never had any trouble passing emissions with his capped egr.

Well I called a dealership about it.

He said the pipe is in 2 sections, which I already knew, and I'd need 4 gaskets.

He also said that in order to replace it they pull the tranny out and it's an 8 hour job! :o

So I think I might want those instructions :D :D haha

Now I just need to figure out which pipe is the lower one and what gaskets I'll need...

Hey thanks Blake, PM sent.

Just in case this may help anyone with an EGR leak. Here are some part numbers for tubes and gaskets for the 95-97 LS400.

Tube #2 (upper): 25602-50010

Gaskets needed for #2 are:

2x 25628-50010

Tube #1 (lower): 25602-50010

Gaskets needed for #1 are:

1x 25628-50010

1x 25634-50010

• 3 weeks later...

Jeez where did you find THIS dinosaur! hahaha I'll FWD it to ya buddy. However these instructions were for a UK spec. so don't worry about any steering stuff being in the way!

Welcome to the club ;)

Jeez where did you find THIS dinosaur! hahaha
What Mel did is a beautiful thing. New members are always great, but a new member who actually uses the search feature, WOW!! Welcome aboard Mel! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Jeez where did you find THIS dinosaur! hahaha I'll FWD it to ya buddy. However these instructions were for a UK spec. so don't worry about any steering stuff being in the way!

Welcome to the club ;)

Hi brethren, also new here. Just bought an ls400 from someone on this forum and he never disclosed it. Well I need help in fixing the EGR pipe leak. Please can you pm(tannor25@yahoo.com) me this instructions. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I'm just going to have my mechanic put on my EGR tube cause I want to do a little stimulating for a local business, and I'm feeling lazy.

Once pulled up on the rack it looks relatively simple.

All you should need to do is remove the passenger side catalytic converter and you should have a clear look at the entire EGR pipe.

Replace the EGR tube and gaskets, and put the cat back in!

(hopefully it really is just this simple!) :D

Picture of parts to follow...

UPDATE

Looks like the crossmember for the tranny mount needs to be removed so you can angle the engine down as well.

I think this would be a perfect time to replace the trans mount too! :D

The old EGR tube split into 2 pieces where the crimps are.

Can't wait to get my car out and hear it! :D :D

UPDATE

Looks like the crossmember for the tranny mount needs to be removed so you can angle the engine down as well.

I think this would be a perfect time to replace the trans mount too! :D

The old EGR tube split into 2 pieces where the crimps are.

Can't wait to get my car out and hear it! :D :D

....I really need to inspect mine then, i may have the same problem with my 95'! let us know how it does!!

Well I picked up my car........

IT'S FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! LOL :lol: Runs so much smoother. so much quieter. Exhaust note is MUCH nicer.

Starts smoother. Feels like it's running a lot more efficiently. I'll keep you posted on any MPG increase B)