06 Lexus Gs300 Brakes And Calipers

Does anyone know if brake calipers are warranted as part of lexus warranty?

Has anyone ever purchased replacement brakes and had them installed at a national chain verse the Lexus dealer? The dealer price seems very very high? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Hi,

No, they are not under warranty. If at all possible I recommend that you let the authorized dealer do the job. Even though they charge more, one of my friends did it using a mechanic down the street and somehow they did not do it right and he had to take it into the dealer after all.

TTK

Hi,

No, they are not under warranty. If at all possible I recommend that you let the authorized dealer do the job. Even though they charge more, one of my friends did it using a mechanic down the street and somehow they did not do it right and he had to take it into the dealer after all.

TTK

This is not true.

The brake calipers are covered under warranty, however this is NOT the wear item of the braking system.

The brake pads and brake rotors are what are replaced when your brakes need routine service. Pads and rotors are considered wear items and are not covered under warranty unless there is some manufacturing defect. In that case there would be a TSB issued.

The brake caliper is the device that squeezes the brake pads against the rotors. There are rubber parts on the calipers that can prematurely wear out but should be covered as these are not routinely wearing items.

If you go through the dealership for brake sevice you will pay through the nose for it. Consider going to a Toyota dealership. Same parts for a little less cost. Another possibility is to find a reputable Toyota/Lexus independent around you. There are plenty of highly qualified mechanics out there. But beware, there are plenty of butchers. too.

Personally, I do all my own brake work cause I know what I am doing and I have all the proper tools.

steviej

Thanks for the great advice!, I could not even find anyone who could do it besides the dealer. Even though it costs more I know it will be done right. I travel with my family too much to cut corners on the brakes. The toyota is great advice.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

Hi,

TTK

This is not true.

The brake calipers are covered under warranty, however this is NOT the wear item of the braking system.

The brake pads and brake rotors are what are replaced when your brakes need routine service. Pads and rotors are considered wear items and are not covered under warranty unless there is some manufacturing defect. In that case there would be a TSB issued.

The brake caliper is the device that squeezes the brake pads against the rotors. There are rubber parts on the calipers that can prematurely wear out but should be covered as these are not routinely wearing items.

If you go through the dealership for brake sevice you will pay through the nose for it. Consider going to a Toyota dealership. Same parts for a little less cost. Another possibility is to find a reputable Toyota/Lexus independent around you. There are plenty of highly qualified mechanics out there. But beware, there are plenty of butchers. too.

Personally, I do all my own brake work cause I know what I am doing and I have all the proper tools.

steviej