Lexus Hs250 H

denslexusgx470

I've seen a few photos of the HS250 H concept but I was wondering if you guys ever had any information about it? So far it is set for 2010

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/cover...us_hs_250h.html

Just a quick few preview photos

112_0901_03z%202010_lexus_HS250h%20grille.jpg

post-9735-1231742177_thumb.jpg

post-9735-1231742187_thumb.jpg

post-9735-1231742193_thumb.jpg

post-9735-1231742200_thumb.jpg

I think it looks great other than the Ford Taurus-style front grille. Hopefully that is only for the concept model and they choose a more traditional design like the other current models for the production car. That and those blue emblems! I do not care for those.

It's not bad, but I do agree it does look like a Focus, and the blue emblem at first glance looks like the blue oval. Apparently Lexus is using the blue emblem on their hybrids nowadays. Personally, I just like the "h" to designate hybrid.

It's supposed to be like a corolla hybrid. I wish they'd make an ES hybrid...

I think this vehicle is actually based on the Toyota Prius.

Toyota has stated that every model will have a hybrid variant by the year 2020. I assume that also applies to Lexus vehicles since many of them share engines with Toyota vehicles. I have heard rumors of an ES hybrid and am guessing that, if the rumors are true, it will be here before 2020.

2020.... hybrid might be out of style by then, hydrogen might be "in".

My guess is the economy's gonna be fine by then and no one's gonna give two craps about hybrids :(

My guess is the economy's gonna be fine by then and no one's gonna give two craps about hybrids :(

I don't think so. Hybrid cars were popular and many people were buying them even before this economic downturn. The demand for them is still great now, even with gas prices the way they are currently. Have you been to your local Toyota dealership lately and seen how much the used Priuses are going for? When the cost of gas goes back up, I think hybrid and plug-in vehicles will become even more popular than they are now.

Of course, there will always be some people who will not be affected by the eventual return to high gas prices and the current economic crisis. Those people may not "give two craps" about hybrid vehicles. As a self-employed individual, I am most certainly feeling the pain. Times like this make me glad I have plenty of savings and don't owe anyone money.

• 2 weeks later...

It is the same wheelbase as the Prius and based on the Prius underpinnings, but it is longer and a bit wider and not as tall. Here are some exterior dimension comparisons ...

Wheelbase:

Prius -- 106.3

HS 250h -- 106.3

Lexus IS -- 107.5

Camry Hybrid -- 109.3

Height:

Prius -- 67.9

HS 250h -- 59.3

Lexus IS -- 70.9

Camry Hybrid -- 71.7

Length:

Prius -- 175.0

HS 250h -- 184.8

Lexus IS -- 180.3

Camry Hybrid -- 189.2

Width:

Prius -- 67.9

HS 250h -- 70.3

Lexus IS -- 70.9

Camry Hybrid -- 71.7

--------------------------------------------

This might just be "right-sized" for me personally ... a little wider and a bit longer than the Prius while riding on the same wheelbase. I would imagine EPA estimates a bit above the Camry Hybrid, but not near the Prius ... size increases and tech increases will add to the weight, plus it uses the 2.4L engine ... however it will "heat up" quicker similar to the new RX 450h which helped increase the RX hybrid's fuel economy 8% over the old RX while increasing the engine size.

I will be interested to check one out personally ... sounds like late summer 2009. One issue is it's not a hatchback ... I would imagine the trunk will be a decent size as they've probably figured out a better place to store the batteries with the new design (stand-alone) over something like the Camry Hybrid.

• 4 weeks later...

HS has the same wheelbase and is a slight bit wider than the 2010 Prius. It is almost 10" longer, probably due to the trunk (which is a real plus with my wife). I hate the "flip" nav screen dash design and hope it looks better in the final version, since you generally have to buy the nav to get phone bluetooth with Lexus. I originally thought that Lexus would make a hybrid ES version, since the Camry hybrid already exists. However, the ES is a bit heavier than the Camry and I don't think they have a bigger 4 cylinder to plug in, like they did with the HS design vs the Prius, to compensate for the increased weight and the battery itself.

• 2 months later...
since you generally have to buy the nav to get phone bluetooth with Lexus.

Not in the newer cars. You can get bluetooth without nav on the ES350 for instance...

It's based upon the Toyota Euro Avensis (not the Prius). Autoblog has a nice review of it here: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/26/first-d...y-on-the-inside

Don't read the comments though. Autoblog comment section is filled with all the failure of humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

There's basically no real information on the HS 250 yet, such as its anticipated fuel efficiency, which is the only justification for choosing a hybrid over a conventional power train in the vehicle. And then only if the hybrid version has better fuel efficiency than the same (or equivalent) vehicle with a conventional power train, which is not always the case. (e.g. Volkswagen Jetta TDI 47mpg HWY vs Nissan Altima Hybrid 36mpg HWY are very comparable cars with the conventionally powered car vastly more fuel efficient.)

• 2 months later...