When Headlamp Beam On, The Instrument Cluster Lights Go Off

mann777

Last evening On drive back home while getting the Headlamp lights on, the Instrument cluster lights does not get illuminated, but when you put if off, the instrument light panel come on, strange !!! Any ideas... suggestion...welcome

Last evening On drive back home while getting the Headlamp lights on, the Instrument cluster lights does not get illuminated, but when you put if off, the instrument light panel come on, strange !!! Any ideas... suggestion...welcome

This is interesting because I had this happen to my 2002 ES300 last night as well. On my car the radio, climate control, and gear indicator lights near the shifter all go out when I turn on my headlights. So far I haven't been able to figure anything out, and I will probably take my car in next week since (as you well know) I cannot see anything at night.

Have you guys checked to see whether the dimmer switch isn't toned all the way down? Are all the instrument lights COMPLETELY off? Or is it slightly on? I believe if you turn down the dimmer, it will almost go as far as turning off completely..

Ok here is the breif synopsis of events.

1. When you start the car, the instrument cluster lights are all on.

2. When you toggle the Headlamp s/w to Main beam low, ( The cluster light go out , pitch dark)

3. When you toggle it back to off position, now here only the daytime lights are running. The cluster lights are back on.

4. Checked the Dimmer s/w absolutely fine on dimmer and full bright mode . Here got the toggle s/w to High /low beam mode and used the dimmer, no luck.

5. Check the fuse box and ran a test to all the leads to the instrument cluster. all ok.

I am out of ideas ....

I had a similar problem on my LS400 - 94 models as there was this instrument cluster would flicker and then go out. There was this guy JIM from Fresno who fixed it. Most of the 94 model had this problem, it would used to happen at the early morning start and until the IC would get warm,then the instrument cluster would come up, and sometime intermittent flicker used to happen during the ride. IT was bit annoying as the you could not see a damm thing whether be it the speed or the fuel guage. This guy did a wonderful job of fixing it. This has lasted till date. I had fixed it just as the lick ran out on the warranty and today i have covered over 223000 miles, it is just perfect.

One thing for sure I could make out is the speedo / fuel / temp RPM guage are running fine on the GX while the lights are out.

Ok here is the breif synopsis of events.

1. When you start the car, the instrument cluster lights are all on.

2. When you toggle the Headlamp s/w to Main beam low, ( The cluster light go out , pitch dark)

3. When you toggle it back to off position, now here only the daytime lights are running. The cluster lights are back on.

4. Checked the Dimmer s/w absolutely fine on dimmer and full bright mode . Here got the toggle s/w to High /low beam mode and used the dimmer, no luck.

5. Check the fuse box and ran a test to all the leads to the instrument cluster. all ok.

I am out of ideas ....

I had a similar problem on my LS400 - 94 models as there was this instrument cluster would flicker and then go out. There was this guy JIM from Fresno who fixed it. Most of the 94 model had this problem, it would used to happen at the early morning start and until the IC would get warm,then the instrument cluster would come up, and sometime intermittent flicker used to happen during the ride. IT was bit annoying as the you could not see a damm thing whether be it the speed or the fuel guage. This guy did a wonderful job of fixing it. This has lasted till date. I had fixed it just as the lick ran out on the warranty and today i have covered over 223000 miles, it is just perfect.

One thing for sure I could make out is the speedo / fuel / temp RPM guage are running fine on the GX while the lights are out.

These are the same steps I took with my 02 ES300, with the same results. I am taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at and will let you know what they tell me.

ok Here it goes no sleep, I did some investigation and went about opening the cluster two screws , it was bit difficult to remove the console and had lot of dust, did a blow spray using the aerospace electronic circuit board cleaner spray, as this are quite soft on the plastics while the spray is done, otherwise you will tend to have the plastics withering of in no seconds. And finally I was looking at all the harness, and happen to see one wiring harness connector loose. A snap here is attached, Fitted it back and now it works fine, Hurray saved lot of dollars if this had to go the dealer, for sure. I am going to catch up with some sleep. thanks for your support guys.

post-21708-1231839357_thumb.jpg