Instrument Cluster Dark When Xenon Lights Are Turned On

Michaelm

My 2002 ES300 instrument cluster goes completely dark when the Xenon headlights are turned on. This includes all backlights, indicator lights (like turn signals, etc), and needle gauge lights. During the day when the headlights are either manually turned off, or if left on "auto" so the daytime driving lights are on, all of the cluster lights work fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you turned the dimmer switch to compensate>?

Yes, I did check the dimmer control and even removed it and measured the resistance. The dimmer control works fine when the headlights are off. I also checked all of the fuses, both behind the coin holder and under the hood, and found that they are all fine.

I did notice that not only the instrument panel lights and needles go out when I turn on the headlights, but also all of the radio and climate control lights. A few of the indicator lamps actually do light when I turn on the headlights including the headlight indicator, door open, check engine, and oil. The gear indicator also lights on the instrument cluster but is dim, however the gear indicators near the shift lever are all dark. I will probably take it in next week to have it checked out since I cannot see a thing at night.

I don't have any specific knowledge of this system, but it seems to me that the Xenons are tapping power from the wrong circuit. They are loading down that is not designed to be a source for that much current and the result is a severe voltage drop that all the other devices on that circuit are subject to.

Is it possible they were electrically incorrectly installed?

Sounds like a bad ground either at the instrument cluster or at the headlight return circuit. Bad grounds cause odd things to happen. Is your battery minus connected to the chassis? Is the engine connected to the chassis ground? Is your Xenon controller connected to a good chassis ground?

Measure the voltage from the Xenon controller ground to the battery minus. It should be less than a half volt or so.

Try disconnecting the controller to see if maybe it really isn't the problem.

Good Luck!

Sounds like a bad ground either at the instrument cluster or at the headlight return circuit. Bad grounds cause odd things to happen. Is your battery minus connected to the chassis? Is the engine connected to the chassis ground? Is your Xenon controller connected to a good chassis ground?

Measure the voltage from the Xenon controller ground to the battery minus. It should be less than a half volt or so.

Try disconnecting the controller to see if maybe it really isn't the problem.

Good Luck!

The local Lexus dealer took 4 days (!) to diagnose this issue. What they have come back with is that it is the spiral cable (sometimes referred to as the clock spring). Oh, and they want $1000.00 to do the repair. To me this seems like a huge amount of money to repair dash lights. Does anyone have any experience with issues caused by the spiral cable and/or its replacement?

Thanks.

Sounds like your dealer is wanting to hose you for all they can.

It could be the spiral cable, but I'd wonder if there was a simpler way to fix it.

They want to change out the cable, so if they find the simpler way, along the way, they still get to charge you for it.

Go to another dealer, although your car is probably "in the records" now, electronically.

Look at the lower end of your steering column with a bright flashlight and a small mirror. Look for burned spots at connectors, or melted insulation.

Never did like those bright dang Xenon headlights anyway... B)