Why Is Oil Filter Last 3k And Engine Oil Last For 5k?

Why is there a difference in mileage of the engine oil and the oil filter; one is 5K and one only 3K? Should I have it change every 3K or 5K?

Thanks

Where are you seeing the difference? Is it written in a log, in a manual? Some people will replace the filter with every other oil change, that is why the you see oil fill volume requirements listed with and without filter.

I find it just easier (and safer) to just fill the oil and filter together every 5,000 miles.

steviej

I took my Lexus to the dealer for an oil change and that what the set in the car's maintenance system. The system keeps reminding me to to change the filter because it's set to expire at 3K and oil need to change at 5K. Seem very weird to me!!

I took my Lexus to the dealer for an oil change and that what the set in the car's maintenance system. The system keeps reminding me to to change the filter because it's set to expire at 3K and oil need to change at 5K. Seem very weird to me!!

see if you can have the dealer change the filter reminder to notify you at 5k, it may be one of those user defined settings.

My 06 only has the "change oil reminder"which comes on every 5k miles. I don't have a reminder for changing the filter.

steviej